Post-match: WC 2014: Brasil x México, 17 de Junho de 2014 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Century's Best, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Tuesday, June 17, 2014. 3pm Eastern time, 12pm Pacific time.
    Tterça-feira, 17 de Junho de 2014. 4pm horário de Brasília.

Match 17, Estádio Castelão, Fortaleza.

[​IMG] vs. [​IMG]

With the initial game behind us, we will have 15 other matches between right now and Brazil's next match. And while we'll all be watching some of the great matchups this World Cup will offer us between now and Tuesday, it's time to look forward to our next opponent.

Mexico will have its initial match today against Cameroon. We're facing both of them, and I have no doubt Brazil's coaching staff will watch closely.

Previous matches in the World Cup:
    1950 group stage: Brazil 4, Mexico 0
    1954 group stage: Brazil 5, Mexico 0
    1962 group stage: Brazil 2, Mexico 0

Most recent match:
    2013 Confederations Cup
    Brazil 2, Mexico 0

2. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm changing my prediction I'm going with 2-1 Mexico

LGRod repped this.
  3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    2 x 1 for Mexico ?

LGRod repped this.
  4. PapaDoc23

PapaDoc23 Member

Apr 9, 2012
    Brooklyn,New York
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    It will not be easy. By know we should know mexico plays 100% against us. I don't care how they qualified. They are here and have a new coach. We need to make changes from yeseterday. I didnt like the way we played and if we play like that against Mexico we could have a draw or even a lost. I never underestimate the mexicans and never will. They are a tough opponent and not can't be easily beaten.

LGRod repped this.
  5. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Mexico looked pretty solid for a good part of the first half I was able to catch. The 1-0 result is pretty flattering to Cameroon. While we can't simply add Dos Santos' two incorrectly disallowed goals back into the scoreline (who knows how these goals would have affected the run of play), Mexico deserved to win by a bigger margin. They will be a tough opponent, as always. But they are the sort of opponent we have to be able to beat if we want to lift the cup. I'd like to see a victory by at least two goals with a clean sheet, but I won't venture a prediction.

LGRod repped this.
  6. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Historically, our 2nd game is much better than the first. I hope Scolari don't play the players in the same role for 90 mins like he did.

Mexico will attack from the flanks but they seem week in the middle.

7. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I really hope he's thinking of swapping some players, but I doubt it. Yes, hopefully we see the 3 behind Fred in their natural positions...

8. Bakaman

Bakaman Member

May 8, 2008
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Gio dos Santos on Alves, my biggest fear for the next game.

LGRod repped this.
  9. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    The whole right side needs to be changed but I think Scolari gives it another game and see.

10. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    I hope the players come out playing better Football. Nerves from opening match should be gone by now. I swear there were moments in the first game that looked like the Mano team was playing. No excuses in this one.

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Last year when we faced him he played on the right side if I remember correctly.

LGRod repped this.
  12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Seriously ! Because there have been plenty of teams playing great football so far.

13. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    If we still have trouble transitioning from defense to attack then I expect another poor/cagey game.

14. Kevin_405

Kevin_405 Member

Jul 30, 2012
    We need to stop sending alves like a scouting angel. He is useless on offense
    All he does is compromise our defense

15. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Anyone who isn't awful themselves vs Alves is a mismatch.

Bakaman repped this.
  16. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    I think it was Marcelo that was struggling with Gio last year.

17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You are correct.

18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    @Mengao86 would school Alves :D

19. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    If Hulk can't go, I want to see either Willian or Hernanes. Ramires and Bernard are more useful as impact subs.

Radu Razvan repped this.
  20. ripalino

ripalino Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I want alves to be dropped altogether and Maicon in his place. It would be wonderful if we have gustavo, paulinho, maicon drop deep in defense so that we dont give space to opponents. I think oscar, neymar, willian etc will do well in offense. I also want marcelo to balance between attack and defense.

I also want Hulk, bernard as subs. Some players play well in short spells and these two are good examples. And finally willian should get full 90 mins of play.

I still think that it's defense which wins world cups

21. Z-point

Z-point Member

Jan 19, 2014
    According to military doctrine defense provides stability offence wins the war.

22. Bakaman

Bakaman Member

May 8, 2008
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #22 Bakaman, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    I think both are correct. So for winning, it's necessary to attack, but to attack, it is necessary a strong foothold, stability. Defense. So both attack and defense are important... And the sector that controls both attack and defense is the midfield, so for me games are won in the midfield!

The midfield set up attacks, they can make the attack totally bypass the opponent's defense with just a single well played pass. But also is the first line of defense and even if that first line of defense is breached, if they can interfere enough with the opponent's charge they reach our final line of defense out of balance or outnumbered, making the last four's job easier. In another words, with a good midfield both attacking and defending are easy.

23. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Midfield IMO is the key.

24. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Hate playing Mexico - just hate it. Mexico always brings their absolute top notch game against the Brazukas and then play like shit against the Gringos.
    Fuked up new FIFA regs. 2 yellows and you are out next game - and never zero's out, even in the eliminations rounds. And with Neymar having one, Neymar needs to force the second this match if we are up.

LGRod repped this.
  25. Z-point

Z-point Member

Jan 19, 2014
    Not convinced a department is more important than another, each function is crucial to the whole. Offensive manoeuvres can involve all 3 depts and players from each dept can score.