Post-match: WC 2014: Brasil x Croácia, 12 de Junho de 2014 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Century's Best, May 7, 2014.

1. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It used to be like black qbs in the Nfl with similar criticism. , Guigs wasn't exaggerating.

2. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Like the year before Cassio got to go to the Brazilian team because Corinthians won the Libertadores? Or Cavallieri because Fluminense won the Brasileirao?

It happens with GKs, the one winning something always becomes the one that's over rated that season and called up.

But the race thing, dead serious... Black goalkeepers is something of a new thing in Brazil maybe 10 years ago it was still like Europe, where a black GK had to be head and shoulders better than the competition before getting a starting spot. And since the difference between a world class GK and a good GK is not that big most times the white keeper gets the nod of confidence.

But honestly check out how many black GKs we have playing in Brazil even, and compare to the % of black athletes playing in the pitch, it's so disproportionate.

I'm not saying Felipao is racist, I'm saying that there is something about black GKs that they never get the vote of confidence first.

3. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I've liked his analysis so far, especially about players.

4. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Athletes used to rarely play QB. Now it's becoming more prevalent. You don't see many kickers or punters either....

5. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    I see last nights game brought out a few butthurt visitors and trolls to our board.

Emperor Adriano repped this.
  6. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I was talking more about the mental aspect because that was the main criticism used against black gks/black qbs.

Guigs repped this.
  7. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    There are a lot of black QBs/Punters/Kickers in High School. In college most of those athletes are moved into other positions.

Now because there are more black coaches in college you are starting to see more black QBs in college and even black punters/kickers.

I'm not saying the coaches putting the players on other positions are racist coaches.. just saying that's what they know, it's their reality... blacks are too athletic to be punters/kickers they are better at another position.

8. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    as long as he doesn't start saying the Mexican players are shaken by the 2 goals being taken back.. like ESPN started doing it right at half time..

9. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    yup it's the same reason for punters/kickers not being black

10. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Or other cliches like Yougoslavia was the Brazil of Europe. They get old after awhile.

11. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I think that one was true - they didn't like playing black goalkeepers either.

condor11 and Emperor Adriano repped this.
  12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Dida is black. Barbosa was black. No joke. Unless you're saying Felipao is racist. Which is absurd.

13. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    good thing I covered those angles saying head and shoulder above the competition uh?! Because both Barbosa the GK from the expressinho and most famous GK and best GK at the time.... and Dida which was known as one of the best GKs in Europe playing for AC Milan...

Those qualify =D

It's a weird mental thing that people don't even pay attention to, like I said, just look at the % of black athletes playing on the pitch then compare to the % of black GKs.

14. Bakaman

Bakaman Member

May 8, 2008
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    My ignore list is getting a lot of love :inlove: I hope you guys do the same.

15. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    from the trolls? Let them be, it's their fun not like their team will actually have a chance...

16. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Oh, OK, I see now from what angle people are saying this about black goalkeepers, and maybe indeed they have a point.

17. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I feel like with his current look the Cameroon manager should have been one of the senior officers on the Death Star. He does not look like a pleasant man.............

18. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Let's root for Mexico not to score a second goal, so that we keep the edge regarding goal differential.

Wow, Cameroon with a beautiful header, great save.
    But Cameroon is a little goofy. Et'o is slow and a shadow of his former self.

19. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Eto'o is playing with Cameroon not with a bunch of all star players in Europe. That's the difference, ball doesn't get to him as easily.

20. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The guys after Barbosa in the 60's through 80's had a hard time was all Guigs was really trying to say.

21. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Maybe the Barbosa thing actually had something to do with it. Black GK loses the WC.

22. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    forget it, because it would only have something to do with it in Brazil, and the black GK issue is a world wide issue.

23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Could it be that not many black players in Brazil try to be keepers ? Just throwing it out there.

24. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    That's not the case, Black GKs are common on lower age groups.

Jefferson has even come out and talked about scouts and coaches telling him if he was white they would take him

25. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Fair enough. For the lower leagues that may be the case. But your quote said Jefferson is by far the best goalie. That implies he is not starting in the WC based on his race. And who is making those decisions is Scolari.