PBP: WC 2010 Quarter Final - Deutschland gg. Argentinien 03.07.2010 [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by ForeverRed, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If the world cup ends today, Schweinsteiger would be the best German player.

WHich means If Germany should win the world cup he would be named ballon D'Or and WPOTY. I have always dreamed for a Bundesliga especially a Bayern and German player to win it and I was thinking if Germany won it Ballack(As an EPL player) would have won all the awards but fate has a way of proving us all wrong

2. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Dude, if Germany wins the WC and Bayern the CL Schweinsteiger still wouldn't win any awards.

3. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Best player in the world cup winning team always sweep the awards

Check 1990 Matthaus, 1994-Romario- 1998- Zidane, 2002- Ronaldo, 2006 Canavaro

4. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    2006: Zidane

5. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yea but there's a double standard with German/Bundesliga players at this point in time. There has been for years now.

6. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that Loew is genius of gigantic proportions. I always thought that he was courageous, to go against public opinion so openly. However, I thought that he was lacking in tactical acumen. I am glad that I was wrong.

In retrospect Loew appears much smarter now. Consider the March game against Argentina. Loew had two objectives then, knowing very well that if Germany and Argentina both top their groups, they would face each other in the quarters:
    1) To under stand in totality the Argentine game plan and its limitations. He figured out quite well that a team like Argentina is going to keep possession for most of the game. So any attempts to play a possession based game were given up. Instead Loew chose to play a waiting game where Argentina were hit first and then Germany absorbed attack after attack and made most of the counter attacks.
    2) To lull Argentina into a sense of complacency. The game in March would have done just that. Germany couldn't muster 1 shot on target in that entire game. Must have made Maradona and his team a little complacent in the quarters.

7. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't agree with point one. We had 48% possession, but what's more meaningful is we didn't sit back/forced back apart from a period of about 20 mins on either side of half time. And only one goal was a counterattack. Let's not fuel the counterattack fire. In the group stages it was all "possession". In the knockout games you do it slightly different when you have one or two goal leads, but not to the extent described in a few places.

8. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I know this, I just prefer him to score a few before the tournament ends. I've gotten used to it the last two and hope he can at least put one in before the tournament ends. I go think he's currently the best player of the tournament.

9. humin12

humin12 Member+

Sep 20, 2008
    Ferguson, Missouri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I respectfully disagree with everything you said there. I don't understand what you mean by flair only.
    Brazil stopped being a flair 'only' side since 1986. Like Bayern_fan said, players like Dunga embody the Brazil of this era(1986-2010) and slowly but surely over the years Brazil has turned into a more physical and fitness focused side to keep up with the Europeans. The sides of 1998,2002,2006, 2010 are all similar in terms of preparation and tactics, Dunga's team is just an extreme example of this Brazil and likely its hopeful culmination
    Brazil lost to the Netherlands because they had turned into a one-dimensional side that had no plan B, Dunga had not prepared them to face a scenario in which they would be chasing a top side. You look at all of their qualifiers you will only see either lopsided results such as 4-0s or stalemates such as 0-0s.

I think there is still a place in so called "modern football" for Brazilian flair. Although the Brazilian FA tried to turn itself into a very European side, they still couldn't, after all these years, deny the fact that their most talented players were attackers such as Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Pato, etc. And their defenders have always had the technical ability to attack effectively.
    These players have been most likely playing 'street'(indoors) at a very early age and developed the technical ability that every nation envies. At the age of 15-18, the BFC(much like DFB since the 00's), had the clubs implement the european training method in which strength, physicality, and more defensive tactics are dominant. You see today how this transformation has effected Brazilian football, almost all the club coaches are defensive minded.
    As I see I am getting my inner nerd on I will just hope that BFC will realize it's strengths and change the way clubs in Brazil do things.

10. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Dunno...I think Brazil lost because Holland is actually really good...

11. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Germany
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    and because Holland is that good Cesar decided to make this blunder to even out the game :D

A semi decent brazilian side - not the Dunga crap - could have killed the dutch within the first 30 minutes, but the Dunga side had no sense and no plan for a structured offense game when the opposition wasn't attacking (resp. playing on counter) at all as could been seen vs Portugal or Chile (before the set piece that made the 1:0)

12. Crisstti

Crisstti Member+

May 29, 2010
    Chile
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, doesn't really makes sense.
    Now it's "everyone has to support Uruguay". I don't think so, lol. Thou my sister and her husband have been there and they say that people are really nice (far nicer than here, lol).

It isn't like that in Europe, is it?.

:). I think I should have studied History. Chose Law instead, and I'm hating it now :(.

Thank you :). Glad to be here as well.

13. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The 98, 02, and 06 sides were still sides heavily reliant on individual players, something that hurt them in 98 and 06 especially. In 2002 they were finely tuned and faced terrible opposition throughout the tournament. The fact remains that you can't only win with a side consisting of individuals, not anymore, not with so many teams playing conservatively so brilliantly.
    That was one of the reasons but not the only one. they showed versatility before that, they flopped mentally and their weaknesses were exposed. bad defending which we have not seen before (in fact their defense was one of the best leading up to the tournament and in it) but defensive errors cost them. Moreover it's telling that they weren't a finished side yet but had all the elements needed. It's just a shame this model won't be followed up by the next coach nor that it was appreciated while it was in place.

14. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree. I also think they had a massive collapse in the second half, they played very well in the first. Unfortunately a 45 minute spell is going to define this Brazil side that has done well for three years now.

15. humin12

humin12 Member+

Sep 20, 2008
    Ferguson, Missouri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it shouldn't be. To be quite honest, the World Cup is as much a PR summit as it is a sporting event. The Brazilian National Team is known around the world to have a tradition of playing 'Samba-style' football. For a country that has won 5 world cups, Dunga's style is an act of desperation as it implements a "win- at all costs" mentality. Brazilians love winning but I know many Brazilians who would rather have exited the qf's playing attractive football rather than the way they did go out.

16. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The idea that Brazil has to stick to their samba football is an even larger act of desperation and a clinging onto tradition instead of a progressive and forward thinking rationale. Dunga was the first to really change it so it shouldn't be hailed as a failure as it is in Brazil. It takes much more time to change something embedded so deeply in their culture. Also it's not like they were playing ugly crude football. It was beautiful to watch them defend then switch to counter with efficiency and fluidity. Their lopsided shape will most likely also be copied by several club teams, such was its effectiveness in using teamwork instead of individuals. We will have to agree to disagree. I just find it mind boggling how completely misunderstood his style is.

17. jskywalker

jskywalker New Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    anybody know where to download the game? I want to download via torrent.

thank you..
    viva Germany