WC 2010 Final FIFA documentary

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: Refereeing' started by MassachusettsRef, Jul 8, 2014.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to post this in the appointments thread, but thought it deserved it's own dedicated thread. I haven't watched the entire film and don't think I was aware of it before tonight, but it seems very well done. I'm posting here because of the window into the referee's prep. Skimming it, I've flagged the following sections below. Link here:

7:05 - 9:15: Webb and team inspect the field, check their radios and then have coffee with Jack Taylor, Mike Riley and others.

17:41 - 18:52: Pre-match meeting with someone who looks very familiar, but I can't place a name right now. Given how the match ended up going, this section is fascinating--even if it's just a little snippet.

30:09 - 30:40: Travel to the match.

36:50 - 37:15: Trying to figure out the timeline and pitch inspection while the closing ceremony is going on.

43:32 - 43:52: Lining up in the tunnels.

44:31 - 45:05: Pitch invader tries to get at the trophy as the ref team observes.

45:35 - 45:45: Webb greets Blatter and the South African President; talks about what Blatter said to him.

48:33 - 48:43: Webb talks about butterflies disappearing.

49:13 - 49:36: Webb talks about the beginning of the match.

50:46 - 50:57: More Webb talking about the game not settling down.

51:07 - 51:10: "It was harder than I expected."

52:00 - 52:50: Halftime in the referees' locker room.

54:39 - 55:22: Webb talking about the match as a whole.

~56:28... Puyol admits he committed a DOGSO foul; seemed prepared to accept his fate if Robben went down. I find looking back on this and what the Dutch coach says particularly interesting, given the reputation he's earned since then. Puyol also talks about the difficulties of refereeing.

59:06 - 59:21 - Webb talks about the red card and overall card count.

1:04:13 - 1:04:39 - Webb talks about the fulltime whistle, Dutch protests and his feeling of relief.

1:06:10 - 1:06:30 - Webb talks about being booed while getting his medal.

Fascinating stuff on the referee front, though never incredibly detailed (still, a window into things we never see). Also seems to be fascinating stuff regarding doping, protocols, balls, etc. Just seems like an interesting movie.

2. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounded Scottish.

First thought was Hugh Dallas, but as far as I know he had no involvement with FIFA.

3. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Obviously Blatter's "producer".

Could this be the genesis of Robben's diving??

AlextheRef repped this.
  4. AlextheRef

AlextheRef Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a former striker, I could definitely see it. You're haunted by big misses in your career and I can't help but assume that Robben looks back on that game and thinks, "If I had only went down, Puyol would have been off."

5. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Robben was a serial diver in his time at Chelsea, which was from '04 to '07.

6. mistman7

mistman7 Member

Apr 12, 2010
    The accent is Northern Ireland. My guess would be Jim Boyce who is the chair of the FIFA Referees' Committee.

7. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought you nailed it, but a Google image search makes it seem like that guy is way too young and too fit to be Boyce--even 4 years ago. And the audio at this link just sounds different: http://talksport.com/football/exclu...up-qatar-would-be-impossible-fans-13081255313 Plus, Boyce wasn't on the Referees' Committee in 2010, so his involvement would seem odd.

IARef96 repped this.
  8. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    A touching moment in the film when Webb meets the previous English official to referee the final:- Jack Taylor, who officiated the '94 final between West Germany and The Netherlands.

9. andymoss

andymoss BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  10. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    '74 not '94!!

Hararea repped this.
  11. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    It is Leslie Irvine, a former FIFA referee from Northern Ireland and now a FIFA Referee Instructor.

PH

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  12. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Irvine worked two FIFA Finals. The 1995 U-17 (Brazil-Ghana) as referee and the 1991 U-20 as AR. (In the latter, one Raul Dominguez refereed the semifinal between Brazil and the Soviet Union!)

PH

Lucky Wilbury repped this.
  13. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    It should be noted that Jack Taylor was not the only the English official to referee a previous WC final, although he was the last one before Webb. There have been four in total (1950 & 1954 {and yes, I do know 1950 was not a real final, but it was the actual last match and so counts in the listings!})

PH