Wc 2006 Travel Plans

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by dcfan in bristow, Aug 8, 2004.

1. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    German is really pretty easy to learn. It's put together very logically...once you get a hold of the structure, it's just a matter of plugging the correct word in its correct form in the correct place. It's very...well...German. And the basis of the language is the same as English, so there are lots of similarities.

2. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    I recommend the approach. This is how I learned Thai (but now that's really rusty).

I am hoping to get this for Xmas.

4. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Credit cards are for times like this. When else can you go party in Germany with the World Cup while not tied down.

5. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since the Hex fixtures have been determined, I've become more serious in planning the trip to WC06. There seems to be several schools of thought on various subjects. For example:
    - Apartment in one city vs. hotel rooms in various host cities;
    - Train vs. car;
    - SoccerTravel.com vs. self-planning;
    - FIFA ticket lottery vs. USSF tickets;
    - Staying the entire month vs. group/knockout only.

You get the idea. When I get the official word from my brother about his intentions, I can give it more thought, but I'm starting to lean in certain directions. One, I'll only be there for the group stage. Probably fly into Frankfurt on June 8 and leave June 25 or so. The exact dates depend upon the December 2005 draw. Two, I'll probably do most of the planning myself. SoccerTravel.com is a great resource, but I think I can handle most of the details. Three, I'll throw my hat into the February 1 FIFA ticket lottery. Might as well.

Four and five, instead of staying in a central location and shuttling between venues and an apartment, I think I'll stay in three or four cities depending upon the draw. It'll probably be a little more expensive, but I'd probably see more. I'm also concerned about the ability to grab a three-hour train back to the home base after a game. Will the schedule permit? I'll be putting plenty of tallies in the beer column, but I don't think I want to spend all night until the next morning in a bar. What am I missing logistically? I'll stick with trains, but if I do rent a car, it'll be for a single day drive outside of the town I'm in.

I'm just hoping that December 2005 is not too late to book a roundtrip flight and two weeks worth of rooms. A friend mentioned that blocks of rooms in host cities are sometimes sold to resellers/travel agencies well in advance.

6. Mikeymike15

Mikeymike15 Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Atlanta
    I've developed a simple web page with loads of travel information geared towards the US Supporters travelling Germany in 2006. It also includes my World Cup Travel Cost Estimator.

http://esc32.midphase.com/~kotasm/worldCup1.html

This page is a work in progress and will continue to evolve over time. Please feel free to drop me a line with suggestions and comments.

Mike

7. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice spreadsheet. Well done, but the price tag is depressing. :eek:

Alright, now I'm starting to lean toward joining up with a few of my fellow solo Americans to plan for a centralized flat. Let's organize. Who's on board?

8. salange

salange Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Atlanta
    I'm not ready to commit to anything, but I am probably going to be solo and probably going to be looking for a flat to share. Keep me in mind.

9. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good deal. Just added you to my buddy list. I'm just a few miles north of you in Chattanooga. I'll know soon after the New Year whether my brother is going with me.

10. Aidaen

Aidaen Member

Aug 24, 2002
    East Lansing, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm looking, but I don't know anybody in Germany, and will have to save over the next year and a half in order to even come close to making it over. :( Such is the life of the poor college student.

11. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what is the drinking age in Germany, is there one?

12. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    According to "Let's go 2003 - Germany", "The drinking age for beer and wine is 16 and 18 for hard liquor but neither is strictly enforced."

I was not carded in Germany (however I was in my thirties and balding then :D )

13. Jerlon

Jerlon Member

Aug 29, 2001
    Western NY
    I'm in the same boat. If I can get US Supporters Tickets through USSF I will start setting aside for the rest of the expenses during my Sr. Year of undergrad and then will use the world cup as a graduation present for myself.

14. Mikeymike15

Mikeymike15 Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Atlanta
    Need to revive this thread a little...

Check out the latest statements from the OC

"Ticket sales proved another hot topic. "We won't have enough tickets. We're aware that 3.2 million tickets won't be sufficient," Beckenbauer acknowledged. As previously reported, internet ticket sales begin on 1 February. The Japanese journalists also reacted positively to the block-booking of 35,000 hotel rooms for summer 2006 at 2002 prices. "

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/041216/1/2tq1.html

So while it specifically states that Journalists will obtain free travel on Deustche Bahn, does the statement above mean that the 2002 prices for hotel rooms are only for jounalists as well or does the general public receive 2002 prices on hotel rooms? I doubt that it's just for journalists, but it wasn't completely clear.

15. csh2000

csh2000 New Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Chicago
    I went to those three, plus Portugal-Spain and England-Croatia... five games in six days in Lisbon's two stadiums. I bought mine via uefa's web site well before the draw, based upon location and schedule, not knowing which teams I'd get. I requested Category III and checked the box saying "upgrade me if necessary to get tickets". I got Category III for the first four games and Category I for the France-Greece quarterfinal. The Category III seats were fine and the Category I seats felt like a rip-off. For a couple games with Category III seats I was in the first 10 rows behind the goal. For the Category I game, I was on the upper level at one of the 18s and felt removed from a lot of the atmosphere, compared to the other matches.

In 2004, Euro had three categories and I think that was also the case for the 2002 World Cup. FIFA is doing four categories of seating for Germany.

I believe the first availability of tickets for Euro included "follow your team" packages, however, remember that FIFA and UEFA do not necessarily do their ticketing in an identical manner.

I would expect both single game tickets and follow your team packages to be offered for Germany. If you buy the "follow the team" package and your team doesn't qualify, FIFA keeps a processing fee and refunds the rest. I'm not 100% certain of the mechanisms for getting your tickets for matches beyond the opening round when you get the package.

As far as I know, FIFA hasn't had a lot to say about the procedures for 2006, other than announcing the on-sale date of Feb. 1, 2005, and outlining the prices.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/o/tickets.html

If the team qualifies, U.S. Soccer (and other FAs) gets an allotment of tickets for their own games, which they can offer to their fans. In 2002, I think it was limited to 8% of the stadium (minus whatever the FA choses to withhold for its own use).

Here's the e-mail U.S. Soccer sent out to its list in January '02 with the offer (Yes, I file, keep and archive just about every e-mail I receive...) -

Right now, I'm leaning towards applying for only the Final... I just hope the dollar isn't at all-time lows come February 1 because Category IV seats (the cheapest) are 120 Euros for the final. Category I is 600 Euros (wow!).

16. willykirk

willykirk Member

Jan 6, 2004
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Much Rep to you CS for this post!! And if anybody tells you different, tell 'em I said to eat s%*t!

Assuming the USSF get's their cotton-stuffed heads out of their asses, I'm Going to Germany to watch the Golden Age of American Soccer!

Who's with me?!?! USAUSAUSAUSAUSAUSAUSAUSAUSAUSAUSAUSA!!!!

17. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hello all - for those wanting to join the YanksInGermany list, here is the link:

Subscribe: YanksinGermany-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

be sure to mention bigsoccer or why you are wanting to go to WC2006 - the list owner (me) will deny membership to any one who doesn't sound like a true soccer fan (lots of spammers were pfishing the group - that's why the approval process)

One thing that no one has mentioned is arranging Group Air Fare. We did this for WC98 to France and were able to get some good fares for groups traveling from a set of designated venues. (LA, Dallas, DC, NY, Atlanta, Miami)

18. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Thanks for taking the time to run the list. I have found a lot of good information and I look forward to more as we get closer to WC.

19. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    but, if a reality show is going to be successful, you'd need to vote someone out every day or two. it would bring new meaning to the elimination phase, but it would sure be painful to be told that you have to leave the country immediately and won't be allowed to go to anymore games.

of course, the immunity challenges could be very interesting - drink a stein or a krug of beer and then kick a soccer ball through two cones from 12 or 18 yards - then repeat until there is only one person left

others?

20. Mikeymike15

Mikeymike15 Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Atlanta
    Found the following FAQ regarding Team Specific Tickets for the WC 2002 in Japan. as an FYI only....

21. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    thanks to everyone for the info and thoughts in this thread. thanks also for the specific info in the last post about how the conditional and fixed tickets worked for later rounds in 2002. assuming i can manage the time off, the fixed ticket is a nice option for securing those hard to get seats for the quarters, semis and finals.... although i ended up not going in 2002, i had actually thought about ordering the team specific tickets for one of the less-followed teams just to improve my odds of getting a ticket to the final.... but, this time, i want to focus on the US (cross your fingers re the hex)!!!

by the way, is there any consensus amongst this group as to which category seats are going to be purchased? and/or which category will have the most US supporters? the loudest and most fun US supporters? i don't have any strong preference myself, as my experience from '94 and '98 is that there is never a bad seat in the house if you're sitting with the right people....

22. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    agree with your comments on Mike's post. great stuff - not that it would definitily be the same but it's a good indication.

I think there are a couple of different thoughts-
    Most people seem to be stating going cat 4 (I think that I will be too). Some people suggest waiting for USSF offering. Others suggest going with FIFA draw. I think I may try doing both then selling excess in Germany. I don't think that demand will be an issue - but I could be wrong.

23. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Euro jumps to new record against an unravelling dollar

"If we stay in the current situation, it's possible to imagine a catastrophic situation at world level, for the Europeans who have an over-valued currency, for the Asians who hold assets in dollars and for the Americans because long-term interest rates will rise," the minister said.​

And, I might add, for Americans who plan to attend the 2006 World Cup in Germany. This crap can't continue. It just can't. The two-year trend says it all. The three-month turns the stomach as well.

24. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    fvcken sickening............

25. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    Warning Re: Net, Agent or Scalping Sales, or purchasing for others

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3272644

There will be a chip in the tickets to ensure that the tickets have been sold legally through authourized dealers. Any agents offering packages now are bogus, brcause authourized agents are not permitted to offer or start selling until February, 2005. There have been several bogus sales also for the Confederations Cup.

The chips wil also enable the holder of the ticket to be named, and although the details have to be worked out, rumour is that you have to show identification to show that you are the purchaser/holder named on the chip. Only authourized agents will be allowed to access the chip to insert the names of the holders.

I'm sure that more details will be given once the sales start, but always remeber, caveat empour!