WC 2006 Qualifying

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by IASocFan, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Ronaldinho11

Ronaldinho11 Red Card

Jul 28, 2003
    San Pedro Sula
    Club:
    CD Olimpia
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
  2. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think the first contingancy plan would be to eliminate the semi-final groups, and play the semi's as a home-and-home. That would eliminate four matchdates from the schedule.

You could eliminate the first-round groups, and play two rounds of home-and-home. That would eliminate two matchdates.

A little more far-fetched would be to eliminate the hexagonal, and send the three semi-final group winners to the WC, and have some kind of three-team playoff for the fourth playoff bid. If you play this as a single round-robin (neutral grounds), then you cut seven matchdates. (Although, that would be my least favorite option.)

I really don't like the fact that the qualifying is slated for 24 matchdates (6 first round, 6 sem-final, 10 final, 2 playoff).

3. gohb

gohb Member

Apr 27, 2001
    I have the great good fortune to write for a website called Planet World Cup, at

www.planetworldcup.com

My own analysis of the proposed CONCACAF system is there, if anyone's interested in really detailed nerdy stuff.

Peter Goldstein

4. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    It's a joke....

The fact is that this qualifying system, like most of everything else run by CONCACAF, is a joke...countries like Mexico & the USA should have to play 10-12 qualifying matches maximum.

The problem is that the smaller countries want as many matches as possible in order to make money, and that there are more of them than there are big countries.

The same thing is true about CONMEBOL, which could have easily had a 10-date, two groups of five teams, qualifying structure if it had chosen to do so. However, the smaller countries pushed for the bloated eighteen match home and home system and got it.

5. Blue Eyed Soul

Blue Eyed Soul New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Gilbert, AZ USA
    gohb-

Your website analysis is excellent (I love that geeky stuff), and I agree with your premise that this new format for 2006 is just a $$$ game for the smaller confederations.
    I think that you could solve a lot of the problem of getting more qualifiers for the minnows and super-minnows by having them play each other in 6-8 team groups in a home- and -home round robin that would offer, say, even more games than the prelim round proposed this time around.
    You'd get your Netherlands Antilles, Suriname, St. Kitts, etc. together and let them play more games against each other, and avoid having them get pounded by the US fourth-string.
    Mexico, USA, and Costa Rica (Pot B) should get a bye, as well as Honduras , T&T, and Jamaica (Pot B). But Mexico, USA, and Costa Rica should get seeded separately and higher than the latter 3. You could have larger groups in the second round, and have Pots A & B get distributed amongst, say, 3 groups (1 in each group) and have the preliminary round winners and maybe the runner's up get distributed into the 3 groups by their finish.

Your thoughts?

6. gohb

gohb Member

Apr 27, 2001
    USWins06--

Thanks for the kind words. Putting together a good CONCACAF system is really hard. Some sort of preliminaries are needed for the superminnows. Your idea of larger groups is a good one, but I wonder whether these teams can afford to travel to so many games. How about giving a bye to the top 9 teams in the confederation (the 6 Hexagonal teams plus the 3 third-place teams from last cycle's semifinals) which leaves you with 26. Put them into 6 groups: 4 groups of 4 and 2 groups of 5, with the 6 winners moving on.

That leaves you with 15, which is probably the absolute maximum for competitive groups. Put the 15 teams in 3 groups of 5 in a semifinal round, with the 3 qualifiers from last cycle seeded into the 3 groups, and teams 4-6 from the Hexagonal seeded into the groups as well. It might look like this:

USA
    Jamaica
    El Salvador
    Cuba
    St. Vincent

Mexico
    Honduras
    Canada
    Haiti
    St. Kitts & Nevis

Costa Rica
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Guatemala
    Panama
    Surinam

These groups aren't too bad, and you could have the top two teams from each group go into the Hexagonal.

Actually, as I look at this system, it might be better than the one I proposed in the website piece, because it makes sure that the middling teams get games as well.

7. Mr Fish

Mr Fish Member

Feb 2, 1999
    W. Orange <-> NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AP Reports Revised WC Qualify Format

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...1/ap_on_sp_so_ne/soc_wcup_qualifying_concacaf

The biggest news...

Under the new format, 20 Caribbean nations will play home-and-home, total-goals series in the Caribbean portion of the preliminary round, with games Feb. 18 and March 31

The 10 winners will advance along with Belize and Nicaragua to the mixed-zones portion of the round, and those 12 nations will play home-and-home series against the 12 teams that made it in the semifinals of qualifying for the 2002 World Cup, among them the United States. Those games will be played June 12-13 and June 19-20.

8. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The latest plan for CONCACAF Qualitying from AP (Yahoo.com and soccernet.com) is that twenty Caribbean teams will match up for a home and away, then the remaining 24 teams will match up for a home and away. The surviving 12 teams will go to the semifinals.

See: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=282031&cc=5901

10. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The latest plan for CONCACAF Qualitying from AP (Yahoo.com and soccernet.com) is that twenty Caribbean teams will match up for a home and away, then the remaining 24 teams will match up for a home and away. The surviving 12 teams will go to the semifinals.

See: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=282031&cc=5901

11. eldiablito

eldiablito New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    in Sagy's shadow
    That is huge news!

I must admit, I was probably in the minority for looking forward to the original plan. Any idea if they still plan on drawing the whole thing out on December 5 (or doing subsequent draws after each round).

12. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So one bad game and we could be out?

13. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    ANY team could be out!

that makes all involved more serious about each game.....sounds good to me.

14. eldiablito

eldiablito New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    in Sagy's shadow
    Exactly.

I'm not quite sure as to how this is beneficial.

15. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Re: AP Reports Revised WC Qualify Format

At the bottom of that article "Also Friday, Blazer and the U.S. Soccer Federation said the United States had turned down an invitation to play in next summer's Copa America, the championship of South America."

So I guess that confirms that the Us is not going to the Copa America.

16. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With home and away, if you have a bad game, you need to ensure that the opponent has a worse game.

17. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    My only complaint....

...is the same one I have every time....why don't them use a two-legged tie to reduce the field from 12 teams to 6 teams instead of using four-team groups. This would knock four matches off the total, meaning that teams would have to play 14 matches instead of 18.

18. hobbes

hobbes Member

Jul 26, 1999
    regina, saskatchewan
    Because two-game ties cause upsets, while six-game pools generally do a better job of getting the best teams through. Imagine Barbados beats Costa Rica as they did last time and then have a one-game run our bags off, stick 11 men in our penalty area chance to knock Costa Rica out of the competition.

One home-and-away is pretty dicey, plus you're having a home-and-away against decent teams to boot. If I were American wouldn't fancy a home-and-away with Guatemala just to get to the hex, if my boys didn't have their shooting boots on at home.

I don't mind the change, but to go further and eliminate the semifinal round is foolish IMO.

cheers,
    hobbes

PS I was looking forward to a February holiday in the sun as well. Oh well.

19. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Official Posting?

Has this been posted officially on either Concacaf's or Fifa's sites?

20. Tamalak

Tamalak New Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Westland, MI
    Re: Official Posting?

It has not been "officially" accepted, though this is CONCACAF's proposal and FIFA usually accepts the Confederation's proposal for its own qualifying system.

The draw will still occur on 5 December. I'm wondering will the 12 Nations that receive the "bye" know who they will face on 5 Dec. or will there be another draw in March? example... St. Lucia plays Bahamas. The winner plays the USA?

21. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Official Posting?

My original question was, if this was Concacaf's proposal, I had not seen it posted on their site, so it was still in the "reported by the media" stage.

It was posted today: http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.asp?id=2235

CONCACAF World Cup 2006 Qualifying Schedule

Preliminary Round
    18 February – Leg 1
    31 March – Leg 2

Second Round
    12-13 June – Leg 1
    19-20 June – Leg 2

Semi-Final Round
    18 August – Game 1
    4-5 September – Game 2
    8 September – Game 3
    9-10 October – Game 4
    13 October – Game 5
    17 November – Game 6

Final Round
    9 February – Game 1
    26-27 March – Game 2
    30 March – Game 3
    4-5 June – Game 4
    8 June – Game 5
    17 August – Game 6
    3-4 September – Game 7
    7 September – Game 8
    8-9 October – Game 9
    12 October – Game 10

Fourth-Place Playoff
    12 November – Leg 1
    16 November – Leg 2

22. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Re: Re: Re: Official Posting?

Just to clear up any questions....

CONCACAF World Cup 2006 Qualifying Schedule

Preliminary Round
    18 February – Leg 1 --> FIFA Date
    31 March – Leg 2 --> FIFA Date

Second Round
    12-13 June – Leg 1 --> Takes place during EURO 2004
    19-20 June – Leg 2 --> Takes place during EURO 2004

Semi-Final Round
    18 August – Game 1--> Friendly Date
    4-5 September – Game 2 --> FIFA Date
    8 September – Game 3 --> NOT FIFA
    9-10 October – Game 4 --> FIFA DATE
    13 October – Game 5 -- > FIFA DATE
    17 November – Game 6 --> Friendly Date

Final Round
    9 February – Game 1 --> Friendly Date
    26-27 March – Game 2 --> FIFA Date
    30 March – Game 3 --> FIFA Date
    4-5 June – Game 4 --> FIFA Date
    8 June – Game 5 --> FIFA Date
    17 August – Game 6 --> Friendly Date
    3-4 September – Game 7 --> FIFA Date
    7 September – Game 8 --> FIFA Date
    8-9 October – Game 9 --> FIFA Date
    12 October – Game 10 --> FIFA Date

Fourth-Place Playoff
    12 November – Leg 1 --> FIFA Date
    16 November – Leg 2 --> FIFA Date

As much as I hate to do this, I have to give some credit to the morons who run CONCACRAP. There's only 1 non-FIFA date on the schedule, and that's immediately following an official FIFA date. There are only two "friendly date" qualifiers in both the semi-final round and the final round. Every available official FIFA date is used.

Sachin

23. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    A little bit of sanity

Contrary to Balzer's comments, I don't think that it was the CONCACAF nations' complaints that forced the reorganization of our WCQ's, it was FIFA rejecting Warner's proposal and sending it back, saying to be a bit more reasonable about fixture congestion and give some rope to the higher seeded nations. I expect FIFA said "read my lips" and suggested the new format themselves.

I think that the solution was a good last-minute compromise, especially with the congestion caused by Olympic qualifying in this month and in Mexico City in January, and in combo with the U20 World .

In my opinion, having the first round (after the minnow run-off in the preliminary round) is an improvement, and less likely to produce an aberration than the old format. It's always better to be master of your own destiny, and not have to rely on a better goals-against formula if you tie the best competitor on points in a three nation series. And the whole idea of a six-matchdate series lasting from January to June was ridiculous.

I don't expect the format will be changed again by FIFA in early December, as they probaly instigated the latest version. WE NOW HAVE A CLEAR ROADMAP !

24. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Re: It's a joke....

Amen! I'm surprised it took that long before the "18 MATCHES?!?!?!??? That's crap!" type of response came out. I think it's ridiculous to have any nation have to play that many to qualify. I do like having the home-home series to weed out 1/2 of the smaller nations. But there shouldn't be another 18 matches after that. I don't care how big the confederation is.

25. OBartleby

OBartleby New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    Kansas City, MO
    How the Nations break down

CONCACAF World Cup 2006 Qualifying

(Numbers after nations refer to current FIFA ranking)

20 first round nations
    (Preliminary round, 10 groups of 2, home-and-away)
    Anguilla 197
    Aruba 195
    Bahamas 191
    Bermuda 183
    British Virgin Islands 173
    Cayman Islands 177
    Cuba 57
    Dominica 184
    Dominican Republic 167
    Grenada 148
    Guyana 179
    Haiti 85
    Montserrat 204
    Netherlands Antilles 186
    Puerto Rico 200
    Saint Lucia 123
    St. Kitts and Nevis 126
    Suriname 154
    Turks and Caicos Islands 203
    US Virgin Islands 199

2 unseeded nations with a bye to the second round
    (Will join the 10 winners of preliminary round)
    Belize 172
    Nicaragua 169

12 seeded nations with a bye to the second round
    Barbados 107
    Canada 83
    Costa Rica 19
    El Salvador 93
    Guatemala 74
    Honduras 44
    Jamaica 46
    Mexico 8
    Panama 122
    St. Vincent and The Grenadines 159
    Trinidad and Tobago 59
    USA 12

Okay, so I've looked but can't find any mention anywhere of how the preliminary round will be drawn. Given that the byes were obviously not dictated by FIFA ranking but rather by results in the last qualifying campaign, I'd be interested to see how those first 10 pairings match up.

Also interesting is the fact that Cuba and Haiti are ranked so high in relation to the others in the preliminary round....