WBA Throstles vs Arsenal (EPL) 02Jan2021

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by And_ROOS, Dec 30, 2020.

1. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That and that song about the "Black Country" that they sing all the time too.

2. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Even nba players rock these short shorts now

3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You sir are a true servant to this club. ;)

Jamooky repped this.
  4. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Posted this in the Arteta thread, but it’s probably just as appropriate here:

It’s amazing to what extent just playing Saka on the right and adding Smith-Rowe seems to have fixed our shot problem. 30 shots in our last 3 halves.

I get that it’s Brighton and West Brom, but these are precisely the kinds of teams we were getting outshot by for most of the last two and a half years, and that we struggled badly against under Arteta especially.

5. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The addition of ESR and this run of form started with Chelsea. We can't forget that.

It's been remarkable and quite literally night and day.

6. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    And basically Arteta was forced into the changes, by injury and illness. I think part of the reason the Saka and Smith-Rowe have made a difference is that they grew up playing Wengerball in the academy. The second goal, combination play and running in behind, was very Wengeresque.

Saka is making the right wing his own. I have to wonder what Arteta does with Pepe and Willian for the rest of the season.

daedalus, DaPrince84 and InTheSun repped this.
  7. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s sucks. The app is poorly designed, IMO. The exclusive content is the only thing worthwhile.
    I think about canceling every month, but then a random game comes on I’m interested in, I somehow I justify putting up with it “only” one more month.

daedalus repped this.
  8. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    NorthBank, maskito and Silva 5 repped this.
  9. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 and a half xG with no pens an almost all from open play. Yowza.

Are we actually good?

mebeSajid and maskito repped this.
  10. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The app ui was designed by a crazy person.

daedalus and DaPrince84 repped this.
  11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. (Re Saka)

But there’s little chance of him banishing Willian/Pepe.

I’d be happy for Saka to just be the number one starter on the right as long as he maintains form and fitness.

Let the other guys try to unseat him but at this point they’re both in the secondary position.

That said, Saka is more versatile than Pepe, i.e. he’s also quite good on the left, so it’s also not hard to imagine him playing Saka there.

The next 2 team selections (EPL) are going to be fascinating.

12. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It’s Saka’s position. Saka looks like Robben. We need to stop beating around the bush and let them take the spot from him. (They won’t)

mebeSajid, thebigman, daedalus and 2 others repped this.
  13. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It’s not even close either.

14. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Well that was ********ing fun today!

Silva 5 repped this.
  15. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    #215 casoccerdad47, Jan 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    Remember we have Martinelli backing up Aubameyang on the left. I don’t see a lot of time for either Willian or Pepe going forward unless Arsenal have injuries.

Signing Willian to a big three year contract was such a bad idea. At the time I used a Wengerism, predicting he would block the development of the young players. Fortunately, they turned out to be to good to be blocked.

16. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We were winless in our last 5 against Brighton. We beat them the first time we played after they came up in 2017, then LDDLL in the next 5. Wenger was still in charge for our last Brighton win prior to last week.

So yeah, you're absolutely right.

17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That very much remains to be seen.

But we had a fantastic day today (though against a team solidly in 19th place).

And I had the most fun watching my team this season. Probably more than opening day at Fulham... because of what has happened with us since then.

Thank you boys.

18. FC RASTA

FC RASTA Member

Mar 28, 2005
    California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to see so many positive posts nice win.

Game shows we can compete in the Championship League if relegated.

Shows Artetas prior rigid positional system was holding back the arsenal triangle passing + box runs+possession play we learned under AW.

Game Shows that Artetas inexperience by not being able to place n play players in the right spot.

Finally clearly evident that the youngsters (Saka,Rowe, Miles) grew up w AW ball like Soccerdad earlier posted. They can hit short passes make quick connecting runs and take on defenders.

"Always Forward Arsenal"

19. gunner7

gunner7 Member+

Jul 27, 2008
    Sunshine California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still buzzing about that second goal. Took me back to a time where Arsenal used to always play beautiful football

maskito repped this.
  20. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    The difference being that they go forward with pace instead of sideways and back all the time. The opposition just got in a comfort zone of us having the possession but doing sod all with it. With us playing more dirrect and with pace it sends defenders into a flux, they have to deal with us in the box and arojund instead of on the halfway line.

21. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sorry to bring u all down, but let’s remember that Leeds also pumped them and they are awful

I still am unsure of the xhaka and ceballos pairing, but it’s amazing how much more competent xhaka is covering tierney and having multiple options ahead

this is why I’m worried about arteta, why could t he see this earlier and the fact ozil was not registered means we could t keep his best formation

I know we won the da cup with a 343 which is fine vs dominant sides, but when you play shit teams u have to have multiple attacking runners from advanced positions and risk

I’m hopeful Pepe can rediscover some form and we get some money back or he starts playing well. Saka has to start rw and I want martinelli lw

Laca is now also looking good joining up the play. So that leaves issues with auba/Willian/Pepe

mebeSajid, DaPrince84 and CarlosKaiser repped this.
  22. super gooner

super gooner Member

Arsenal
    England
    Sep 20, 2020
    Whilst what you sasy is true, a couple of weeks ago we coiuldn't see where we would get a goal from let alone a win. I fully expected us to drop points and I'm sure others did. We will see what this team is like against better opposition soon enough.

daedalus and thebigman repped this.
  23. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Too early to tell. But clobbering a bad team on their ground is the kind of thing an above average side should be doing?

Let's see how this holds up - Saka, Smith Rowe, and Martinelli all need their minutes carefully managed.

Tonerl and thebigman repped this.
  24. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Laca's hold up play is significant with the movement of the youngsters. PEA as a ST needs people feeding him balls which means he either needs creative playmakers or pressing counters to generate goals. Laca & the youngsters are showing we can generate opportunities from movement. Willian has just been a bust for us and Pepe either doesn't work in the EPL or under Arteta's schemes.

If we can find any deals in Jan, it may be time to move all 3. With PEA in particular that is a bold statement given he is coming off 2 20+ goal seasons for Arsenal and 6 straight 20+ goal seasons overall and recently signed an extension. However he is almost 32 and has just 5 goals this season. Given our current scheme/form do you see PEA picking things back up? For me, he has never been ideal on the wing and with the added importance of hold up play from the ST over the last several games I don't see him making an impact there either. There are bound to be a CL club or 2 that see his potential value and is willing to make a deal.

thebigman repped this.
  25. gunner7

gunner7 Member+

Jul 27, 2008
    Sunshine California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Auba could play from the left wing drifting in. He did it last season and scored mucho goals. Auba is just out of form atm. He had a couple chances in the last couple games but just can’t find the net. He just needs a spark to get him going