WBA complained to FIFA. What will FIFA do?

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by crookeddy, Jul 3, 2005.

1. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Is there anythign FIFA can do to us over this complaint?

2. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ban us from winning a road game for the rest of the season.....

3. gnatfan

gnatfan Member

Mar 10, 2005
    Maybe force us to play all our games at home. :D

4. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Fine the Galaxy? Forced compensation to WBA? Make management watch 5 hours of Seth Blatter speach tapes plus 3 Pauly Shore movies? :eek:

5. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D I was about to say that...

6. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Nothing, if no contract was signed. The only posssible consequence is that English teams might be a little less willing to try and arrange games against MLS opposition in the future.

7. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    At least the smaller clubs. I don't think Man Utd, Arsenal or Chelsea would fear an MLS team backing out of a deal.. Don't know when we'll see any of the big 3 here against an MLS team but this won't affect them ...

8. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    i don't agree with this at all. given what i've read (which admittedly doesn't disclose everything that went on between the two clubs), i'm not convinced that the Galaxy's "we didn't have a signed contract" defense would hold up in court. you can, by the way, have a legal obligation without a signed agreement.

and, in any event, fifa could easily expect/demand more. even if the Galaxy were technically within their "legal" rights (which I'm still not sure about), fifa could say that they shouldn't have done this. i'm not saying it will, but it could.

so, what could be done? suspend Galaxy (even MLS??) from all fifa club competitions? a fine? i don't know - seems like jurisdiction is somewhat limited.

9. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    They wouldn't suspend MLS from all competitions thats nonsence. That would be like because Jose Mourinho made thos einapropriate comments during Hcampion's League EPL should be banned from Champ's League for a year. Even suspending the Galaxy would be harsh. A fine is what this SHOULD lead to, but the Galaxy is such a relatively poor club they can't really pay such hefty fines....

10. DonCorleone

DonCorleone New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    NY state.
    this is what Galaxy and WBA should come to the common agreements, WBA is supposed to play Galaxy on july 20 and was forced to cancel due to Galaxy prefers :rolleyes: playing Real Madrid on july 18 so, why don't move the game to july 22 which is four days before they're facing Chivas USA & four days after Galaxy-RM game (so, enough rest for both Gal & WBA players), problem solved !.

www.wba.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10366~679712,00.html

11. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Absolutely nothing.

This is nothing new, the only difference is that an MLS team said NO.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp...y?coll=la-headlines-sports&ctrack=1&cset=true

Two heads are better than one, WBA has basically lost their case.
    They are simply whining at the fact that a team "under" them, told them No Thanks.

12. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Right, but the question wasn't what would hold up in court, but what FIFA would do. Absent a signed contract, I strongly doubt FIFA would do a thing. FIFA isn't a court and I very much doubt they'd get involved at all. Depending on what was said between the clubs via email, it's certainly feasible that WBA might have a legal case against LA.

13. ElasticNorseman

ElasticNorseman Member+

Apr 16, 2004
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway

so, I must have imagined the upcoming Chelsea - DC United match??

14. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    I meant future matches not already schedule being affected by LA backing out.. I am aware of the DC/Chelsea match.. I'm looking forward to the look on Jose Mourinho's face when Adu is brought down in the box for the winning PK .. :p

15. ElasticNorseman

ElasticNorseman Member+

Apr 16, 2004
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway

I figured - I'd love to see that myself (even if i'm not a DC fan), although if they're smart, they'll have Moreno take the PK :p

16. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There can't be a breach of contract when there's no contract to breach. FIFA will do nothing.

17. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    of course, mls is different because of its single entity nature. so, it's probably overboard to say that it's nonsense, although i'd agree that it's unlikely.

18. SuperQuake

SuperQuake New Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Nothing... It just created bad reputation... not good for MLS and soccer in the States.

19. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    the english already had an opinion about soccer in the states and that hasn't changed. The opinion is that our soccer is beneath them. That's pretty much it. Anyone would pass up a chance to play WBA when Real Madrid comes knocking. if it had been a smaller team like Nottingham Forest that the MLS team went with rather than Real Madrid i could see some bitching, but they have to understand that Real Madrid will carry much more interest and much more profit.

20. WHOLMAN2

WHOLMAN2 New Member

Dec 4, 2000
    Lahs Angeleez
    What will FIFA do?

The same thing they always do. Nothing.

21. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing that befuddles me about the entire mess is the complaint that a second match could not be arranged. At last count there were about a dozen lower league teams, PDL, MSPL teams in California. How none of them could open up a date for WBA to play them is amazing.

22. DR THROSTLE

DR THROSTLE New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    ENGLAND
    At the end of the day The Los Angeles Cowboys let us down.
    Now there are about 30 Albion fans who have been forced to visit Tinseltown for 2 weeks because the trips cannot be cancelled..

How about Galaxy giving us some VIP seats at your game v Real Madrid and we can show your officials what we really think of them...

23. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Member+

Aug 2, 2004
    Westwood, NJ
    Well Dr. Thicko, if all of the West Midlands Mingers are daft, saft nits like you its no wonder you all were ripped off so easily. Hotel reservations can be cancelled (here in the US as late as with 24 hours notice). "Unrefundable" airline tickets can be exchanged for credit up to a year from the original travel date. Sounds like you should have a word with your travel booker or the West Bozo Albinos front office, not a bunch of Galaxy fans who can't do shyte to solve your problems. Your brain let you down, not us.

Asking for Real Madrid tickets here is like asking a tree to move out of the way of your Morris Minor. Take your concerns offline; send an email to:

hfonseca@lagalaxy.com

but brace yourself for a response along the lines of "The Home Depot Center is a local stadium for local fans. There's nothing for you here!" or more likely "No way you big spastic, you're a mentalist!"

24. jameseyla

jameseyla Member

Jun 8, 2003
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    west brom would have done the same thing to us

25. DR THROSTLE

DR THROSTLE New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    ENGLAND
    Talking of thickos you cannot get any thicker than Geordies Gazza is a prime example... Continental Airlines and Expedia have a non refundable policy.

We are hard core fans who follow our team all of the world. So Dumbo Geordie get a passport and travel the world and get some education

Boing Boing