Ways to get pro-USMNT crowd

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by galperin, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Univision

Work with Univision to get their support, buy some Spanish advertisements with Carlos, Mastro, Landon, and others who speak Spanish.

They allready riped off Mexicos "El Equipo de Todos" (Everybodys Team) propaganda and started using it to descrive the USMNT.. [​IMG]

2. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Naahhh, we bought it. Cost 2-0.

3. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Yankee_Blue

Naahhh, we bought it. Cost 2-0.

You paid too much then :D

4. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    My take is that there are 2 meanings to "pro-USMNT crowd".

1. overwhelming numbers of US fans (90% US or whatever).
    2. the number of US fans that are there vocally support their team.

I'm not going to posit an idea of the first, but on the second. I've always thought that if the US had a more European style seating that it would be better -- reserve some portion of the stadium for opposing fans only. The remainder would be for US fans.

I think the call-and-response form of cheering is something Americans can understand. That sort of crowd seating has been used at high school and college sporting events for decades. When you see, for example, 1/4 of the stadium wearing green and cheering wildly for Mexico and rest of the stadium are US fans, they will react to cheer more wildly for their own team. When they're mixed, I think that US fans will naturally be more reticent to cheer for their team.

Obvious questions would be the amount of space left for "visiting" fans, but I don't think it would make much difference for Americans. 1/2 of RFK? 1/8 of Crew?

The negative is defining the opposing fans as the "other" and lessening interactions between fans (less sportsmanship, greater chance of bottle throwing, etc.) The positive would be a natural oneupmanship that would get US fans riled and perhaps more out when they realize that some percentage of seats are reserved for fans of the other team.

5. Horizon

Horizon New Member

Nov 20, 2000
    New York City
    El Equipo de Todos

I believe that "El Equipo de Todos" name for
    the USMNT has been used for a long time by
    Andres Cantor since his Univision days.
    I never heard that name being used to refer to
    the Mexican National team.

Anyway, I think that MLS and the USSF should
    pay sports shows in Univision/Telemundo to
    promote US soccer. Nowadays, MLS and US
    soccer is completely ignored by these networks.

For example, Deportes Telemundo at 11pm will
    show the following leagues in order of importance:

Mexico
    Argentina
    Italia
    Espana
    UEFA Champions League
    Copa Libertadores
    Colombia
    El Salvador
    Honduras
    EPL
    MLS
    Chile

Completely Ignored:
    Brazil
    Bundesliga
    France
    Dutch Eredivisie

MLS should pay big bucks to make these
    networks consider them at least 2nd behind
    Mexico.

6. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Horizon

I believe that "El Equipo de Todos" name for
    the USMNT has been used for a long time by
    Andres Cantor since his Univision days.

True, but this name was used first in Mexico. They would have the various TV shows (Televisa) where the presenters would cut a quick promo on el Tri and refer to it as Everybodys Team..

I never heard that name being used to refer to
    the Mexican National team.

Not in the U.S but in Mexico it is very common. The idea behind it is that everyone cheers for diffrent Clubs but with el Tri "Its everybodys team". In the U.S it has more to do with Ethnicity..

Anyway, I think that MLS and the USSF should
    pay sports shows in Univision/Telemundo to
    promote US soccer.

1020 am Radio with El ******** Veloz covers the MLS and i think they do play by play for the GalactoChokes. I dont listen to this staion. Too much time is spent on Central American and MLS footy.

I like to listen to RadioUnica which mostly covers MFL/South American leagues and La Liga. What i have noticed is that recently they have been giving updates on MLS games. Yesterday i was listening to their broadcast of Copa Libertadores final and during the transmission they would give an update on the I beleive Columbus vs MetroScum game :mad: :(

7. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    Actually I'd be interested to hear Various Style's (or fans of other nations) take on my idea of separating fans. Would it bother you if they said "okay Mexico fans, you get 20% of Crew Stadium" (or whatever division there is)? Do you think that would unfairly segregate the crowd? Or would you prefer to be with only Mexico fans? Or do you prefer the current system, which is, with notable Crew/RFK exceptions aside, a free-for-all?

8. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    SCBozeman

Actually I'd be interested to hear Various Style's (or fans of other nations) take on my idea of separating fans.

This is done everywhere else. The stadium will have a seperate section for the "Visiting" fans. I remeber seeign a video on Cruz Azuls fans going into La BonBonera (Argentina) for the Copa Libertadores final against Boca Jrs. On the way in it looked as if the Boca fans wanted to tear the Cruz Azul fans apart !!! In the second half of the game a whole Security squad had to surround the Cruz Azul fans because their team was beating Boca 1-0.

Boca won in pk's and all ended well. In the U.S however we dont have these type of problems..

Would it bother you if they said "okay Mexico fans, you get 20% of Crew Stadium" (or whatever division there is)? Do you think that would unfairly segregate the crowd?

Well there is a diffrence. In most parts of the world the fans are "visiting" fans. In the U.S the opossing fans are citizens. That and we dont have problems like i mentioned above.

Or would you prefer to be with only Mexico fans? Or do you prefer the current system, which is, with notable Crew/RFK exceptions aside, a free-for-all?

This is difficult to say. I understand the USMNT need to have a pro-U.S crowd but it is hard to do when the majority of footy fans in the U.S cheer for other National Teams. My suggestion to avoid any problems is to have free for all. The USSF can seperate a huge section for U.S fans cheering squads like Sams Army ect..

9. Sober Tom

Sober Tom Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Glassboro, South Jer
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow, that was a very intellectual post VS just put up there. i like the viewpoint and i actually learned somethin from your post. nicely done.

10. listentobobmarley

Jan 5, 2001
  11. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    More pitch invasions.

Alex

12. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bring your friends!!!! Seriously, the whole buddy system is the best way right now to show people a great time at a US match.

-Wear Red
    -Sit with Sam's Army so they aren't afraid to yell and cheer
    -Have them stand the entire match
    -Teach your friends to appreciate good, entertaining soccer
    -Clearly explain the purpose of the game (friendly, qualifier, etc.)
    -Share as much history as you know about the two teams

I took 6 friends to Foxboro last October, and a good time was had by all (only one had been with me in June.) I'm not saying that they'll start buying their own tickets (maybe 2 or 3 will), but anytime I ask, I know they'll come back.

13. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Hey this is a oldie but ....

14. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Chicago

No New York

15. Nyghtewynd

Nyghtewynd I'd Rather Walk Alone

May 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a more obvious problem--the country is just too freaking big. Let's say you went to Foxboro. Are you going to spend thousands of dollars on planes, hotels, etc? Yeah, European countries fill stadia. A ticket and a train pass gets you there. Not so hard. There are some bigger countries, but not all that many that have the same sort of travel issues.

16. pankfish

pankfish Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    We should play our home games in either London or Dubai. There are tons of Americans in both places, and not very many central Americans. The stadium may not be full, but the majority of people there will definitely be cheering for America.