Way too much speculation

Discussion in 'Detroit' started by bradd, Nov 17, 2009.

1. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the enthusiasm you guys have but some of the speculation is getting crazy ridiculous. There hasn't even been an official announcement on us getting a USL-1 team and already people are jumping back to MLS just because of the silver dome stuff.

Let's try and keep our expectations realistic around here guys. The last thing we want to do is get so worked up over every micro quote that no matter what happens we won't be happy with it.

Someone call Kyle and find out if he's got any insider information. Hell, a few of us know Dan - give him a call and see if he will do an interview so we can get some nuggets of info.

2. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Point me in the direction of some of this "crazy ridiculous" speculation. All I've seen regarding the Silverdome are legitimate reasons why it could or could not, would or would not work, not the sort of frothing at the mouth about a done deal with MLS, as you and others seem to think.

3. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The whole Silverdome thread in this forum is a perfect example.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1244720

1 quote from someone saying they want to bring professional soccer to Detroit and all of a sudden people are talking about MLS, etc, etc. Where did any of that information come from other then "pulled from my booty" speculation?

4. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS was mentioned by name in the press release from the auction company that sold the SIlverdome. Of course, there's some speculation involved in discussing that, but nothing over the top, nothing out pf proportion with what we know, which is little.

But the fact remains, someone bought the Silverdome, and MLS was mentioned as a reason. All anyone is doing is discussing the possibility, nothing "crazy ridiculous" here.

5. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you post a link to the official press release then? I haven't seen that article. Just the 2 news articles.

6. maltaman68

maltaman68 New Member

Jul 18, 2008
    Farmington, MI
    I think I agree with Bradd, its great that someone bought the Silverdome...but honestly I don't see why we should get so worked up about it. Dan knows nothing about the group that bought it, according to the Free Press, they seem like total unknowns so why get hyped up about it?

I will say this, it has been a very busy 2-3 weeks of soccer news and potential news swirling about the area, its been fun to talk about at least. BUT now people begin the Detroit bashing all over the boards about why we can't support a team. Great.

7. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno...I think Yoshonis has a point...I think the fact that it's news means we should be able to discuss it. In my opinion, most people aren't going overboard with this. They're just discussing the pros and cons of a soccer team playing in the 'Dome or if it would be better to tear down the stadium and build a new one.

8. opal347

opal347 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2005
    Clinton Twp, MI
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying don't discuss. I'm just saying let's keep our expectations realistic. This has been something I've said since the founding of MCS.

The very first paragraph states the following:

Break it down, the press release is from the company that SOLD the Silverdome NOT the company that bought it. They mention MLS yes, but come on. Don Garber literally JUST had a conference on the state of MLS and expansion, was asked about Detroit and specifically said there was no discussions with anyone about anything in Detroit. That alone should just about end speculation.

MLS is only slated to have 20 teams. 18 of which are already spoken for. Do you honestly believe that in the next, heck I'll even give it 5 years, that this Toronto based real estate firm is really going to gather the money, resources and support to not only turn the Silverdome in to a viable MLS stadium but also build a team, pay the MLS entry fee, and convince the Don that Detroit can do this? This is all while this toronto company has to pay the 1 million + dollars in annual maintenance to the silverdome. I guess those monster truck rallies are gonna be going in full swing! At the silverdome dome dome dome.

Again, I'm not saying we cannot talk about it. We definitely should. I'm just saying, keep your expectations REALISTIC. Don't get yourselves worked up in to a frenzy over something that most likely won't happen.

I think it's more worth our time to continue investing our time and energy in to someone with a plan who genuinely cares about Detroit based soccer and isn't out there to just make a buck off of us.

10. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Garber spoke about the challenges of working a North American league versus a league in a smaller country. He basically eluded to the fact that they wouldn't cap the number of teams at 20...

If MLS can continue grabbing expansion fees, they'll continue to expand. FIFA isn't going to do anything if they go past 20, just like they have no say in promo/rel or when we play the season.

They may wait a few years once they get to 20, but they're not going to stop there.

11. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far, the only one who's "worked up in to a frenzy over something" is you. Nothing in that whole post hasn't been mentioned already in the discussion, except for the following "crazy ridiculous" speculation:
    What's REALISTIC about that?

We get it, you don't think it will happen. To tell you the truth, in my gut, I don't either. What I don't get is why your bloomers are in such a bunch about any discussion of why it could happen. Nobody, and I mean NOT ONE PERSON has posted anything close to "Hooray! This means that MLS is coming! Where do I get my season tickets?!"

Do I think it's likely? I, like you, HAVE NO FREAKING IDEA, since we haven't heard anything at all from the buyer.

But I, unlike you, understand that this does not mean that it won't or can't happen, and that discussing the possibilities does not itself constitute "expectations" of any kind, realistic, unrealistic or anything in between.

There is no reason whatsoever to rule out the possibility that the buyer could put together an ownership group that could adequately finance both the necessary stadium renovation and the costs associated with creating an MLS expansion team, as the anchor to a development of the 127 surrounding acres of real estate. No reason whatsoever. And yet, for some reason, just discussing it generates some sort of fear in your heart, to the point where a perfectly reasonable discussion gets spun as "crazy ridiculous speculation," even though there is nothing even remotely resembling that in this thread or any other.

I ask again, point me in the direction of anything close to irrational expectations, and try to be more specific than "THAT WHOLE THREAD," which is just a cop-out. Quote me one, single post with undue expectations, or even expectations of any kind, regarding MLS in Detroit. You won't, of course, because it doesn't exist.

If you don't like it, don't read it. Don't sit there and pretend that people are posting things that they aren't, and assign meanings to posts that aren't there, just because you want to stifle perfectly legitimate discussion of the (universally acknowledged) remote chances of MLS coming to the Silverdome for no other reason than you think it won't happen.

12. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are getting way too excited over this Scott. ;) I'm not upset and pissed or running around freaking out. Not sure why you think that - my posts have been very down to earth and to the point. Only thing I'm saying is keep our expectations realistic. What's wrong about pointing that out? If you don't agree with it - fine. Take your page long write up and flip it back on you.

It's gonna be ok - just BREATH. ;)

13. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about pointing out one, single post that was something other than realistic, just one, before starting a whole thread just to stifle discussion that you claim not to want to stifle?

14. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are absolutely right. I was exaggerating based not just on the boards here but based on my facebook updates where 4 non MCS'ers all started going HOLY CRAP WE ARE GETTING MLS! Without being realistic at all.

I apologize for that Scott. But seriously, deep breaths. It's going to be ok. I'll buy you a beer next time we are at Claddaghs. ;)

My point is still valid though. Realistic expectations. That's it.

15. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Its funny that when its in your backyard, speculation is acceptable. lol It's ok, its an exciting time. Sources say that its not MLS but rather USL.

Good luck to all, and I hope you get a team either way, MLS or USL.

16. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, they don't, not regarding the Silverdome. Thanks for playing, now go away.

17. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scott, no reason to be mean man. He wished us well.

18. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's some history there, involving USL in NYC, that was just the sort of idiotic, irrational crap to which a thread like this would have been an appropriate response.

19. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone needs to sign off Big Soccer for the day and calm down. You just seem angry today buddy.

20. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Regardless of Scott's response my well wishing stays the same. I know from a very personal point of view what its like to wish to have a professional team close to home. Whether it's MLS in the Silverdome or USL somewhere else, I really hope that you get what you strive for.

21. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would make for some fun road trips that's for sure.

22. Spectator1

Spectator1 New Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Club:
    Panathinaikos Athens
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Agreed :)

23. Spectator1

Spectator1 New Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Club:
    Panathinaikos Athens
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    so the owner has spoken out. They are in talks with MLS so now can we assume?

24. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talks, yes, very preliminary ones. Not enough to assume anything other than the process has begun. That, in itself, is encouraging, and certainly worth following closely, but lots of questions remain.

25. Spectator1

Spectator1 New Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Club:
    Panathinaikos Athens
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Yes true. who runs this website? is he on here?

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5360316439&ref=ts

I think that if the owner of the silverdome wants to move forward it will he has the stadium he has the interest and by him getting AC Milan and Panathinakos he has the $$ I once herd its like 5 mill to put on a game like this. What are your thoughts?