Wave-Mustangs MASL playoffs

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by FireFanKeith, Feb 21, 2015.

1. FireFanKeith

FireFanKeith Member

Mar 6, 2000
    chicago,il usa
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I created this thread for news,predictions,etc. for the Wave and Mustangs series....

I think with the Wave's goalkeeper problems the Mustangs can win this. The Mustangs need Veiga back to help their defense. They have really struggled defensively without him. Does anyone know what happened to Matthew Stewart? He is still on the roster. If Hewerton is back as well I think the Mustangs will win Thursday probably lose game 2 but possibly win the wacky mini game.

2. skipper60601

skipper60601 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Mustangs will lose in two. The Mustangs need to be at their best to beat the Wave, and the Mustangs are playing pretty badly in their recent games.

3. mjames1229

mjames1229 Member

Sep 26, 2006
    West Allis, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way the Wave wins with Matt Eisold in goal. My guess is the Wave played most of tonight's game like they will against Chicago... rotating Greenfield / Lookingland /Quiroz as a 6th attacker for 75% (or more) of the game.

If my memory serves, the Wave have up only one goal on the 6th attack, while Eisold gave up five goals in less than half the game.

4. upup89

upup89 Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    I think it'll be tight but I'm going with the Mustangs.

5. Taz-Master

Taz-Master Member

Dec 12, 2005
    I think the Wave will take it. Mustangs aren't the same team that went undefeated last year in winning the Championchip. Beggining of the season, some thought Mustangs were the team to beat.

6. Anubis

Anubis Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I have no clue why the wave haven't fixed their goalie issue. When Waltman was down the Comets reached out and managed to find Paterson, who was very serviceable as a backup goalie and likely would start over half the league. How the Wave haven't managed to improve that spot is a bit baffling and perhaps indicates their real problem of front office inability to go and find the guys they need.

That all said, Chicago in the mini-game will be my prediction. I think it should be a reasonably good match.

lmfoust repped this.
  7. NickWISoccer

NickWISoccer Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Wave wins in 3 is my prediction. Wave are slightly better/. I dont like the 1-off against Missouri the winner gets subject to though. should be a series.

8. bbwavefan

bbwavefan Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? I think the majority of people would agree the single elimination format favors the team that is not the Comets.

SteveCo and Blastnut2 repped this.
  9. MizzouMan22

MizzouMan22 Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Wave for sure over the Mustangs. They could put Sue Black or Art Kramer in goal and still win both games by 2

10. wissportdude1102

Apr 29, 2014
    New Berlin, wi
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They'll use a combo of 6th attacker and goalie like they did vs waza flo

11. Jim in Wis

Jim in Wis New Member

May 8, 2008

I think you may be unaware that the Wave did just what you suggested after both Marcel Feenstra AND Nick Vorberg went down with serious injuries. They promptly acquired the veteran Jeff Richie, who was doing a creditable job at GK until HE tore his ACL in practice, the day before their game with Tulsa. Matt Eisold was their last in line to man the net. He had been working out with the Wave, but had never played.

Please don't go off half cocked and insinuate things about the team coaching staff and management that are based on insufficient information.

SteveCo repped this.
  12. mjames1229

mjames1229 Member

Sep 26, 2006
    West Allis, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bold words from a "new member".

So please advise what the Wave did to attempt to acquire any additional goalkeeping help of a talent level above Matt Eisold (by the way, 1-1/2 games may be a small sample size, but... he's not anyone's answer).

If the answer is financial, then say "There are three GK on payroll and management has determined that there is no money available for a talented GK to replace Feenstra / Vorberg / Richey". May be a crummy answer, but at least it shows that there was some cogent thought to this mess.

But using Mike McCarthy's favorite "Next man up" saying isn't cutting it. Eisold is in over his head. There have been some spectacular saves (many of which have come from being out of position in the first place) and also some spectacular fails. This team had better hope for Vorberg to be able to play in Kansas City on March 12 (provided the four-headed solution can get them that far) or else this entire season was wasted. Injuries are bad. Injuries suck. But not having a competent GK on speed dial is dire.

So all that said, if you have some actual information from the coaching staff or management that you can share to end speculation and end the concerns of "go(ing) off half cocked and insinuate things". Please. By all means, share.

philitup repped this.
  13. upup89

upup89 Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Game one was excellent. Can't wait for game two.

14. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago Mustangs beat the Milwaukee Wave 6-3. After being down most of the game the Mustangs rally from a 3-2 deficit to win 6-3. A very tight game until Chicago scored two late goals as Milwaukee was pressing. Not as bad a crowd as I had feared considering it was a Thursday school night.

15. mjames1229

mjames1229 Member

Sep 26, 2006
    West Allis, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was very impressed with the crowd. Considering some weekend Chicago Soul games I attended consisted of the Waves fan buses and Aaron Nichols' father, this was nice to see.

Oh, and NEWS FLASH... The Mustangs are fast. And physical. And when the refs let the physicality continue the Mustangs got even faster.

16. NickWISoccer

NickWISoccer Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    wave need to win game 2 to force the tiebreaker
    which will be on march 7th
    is this the longest stretch between playoffs games in indoor history
    thats 9 days to play 1 game., 1.5 if the wave win game 2.

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did that work out for you?

18. Mad Header

Mad Header Member

Mar 8, 2001
    Mt Prospect
    Really entertaining game, some good indoor soccer played out there. Much better quality game than the PASL finals last season. Mustangs seem to have risen to the challenge of playing the higher caliber competition. Game was well paced and the Mustangs didn't question every call that didn't go their way. I haven't seen a lot of games this year so these are just off the cuff comments, but I have a feeling adding some vets like Matthew Stewart and Hewerton has helped focus some of the incessant running from last year. Wilo still looked great, reminds me in some ways of Pato Margetic, and not just because of the long hair. Flores was good in goal, really I thought the whole team played well. Score one for the beer leagues tonight! :D

SteveCo and Fanaddict repped this.
  19. MizzouMan22

MizzouMan22 Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Art played a poor game.

20. skipper60601

skipper60601 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good call Keith. I was wrong.

21. FifaMan328

FifaMan328 Member

Dec 5, 2008
    I watched most of the game last night, and can honestly tell you the Wave keeper DID NOT cause them to lose

Can somebody please explain why you guys are constantly bitching about how bad he is ?
    The fact he wears shorts does make him look goofy... but he made some decent saves. He is no Danny Waltman, but is decent

22. bbwavefan

bbwavefan Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the most part, he has no idea what he's doing out there. And that's not his fault; he's been thrust into a situation for which he is not ready. That's just the reality. He made a couple decent saves last night. But did you see his distributions? Every time he got the ball, he just dumped it long right back to the Mustangs. And oftentimes, there wasn't even a Wave player within 15 feet of where he played the ball. I do think the Wave win that game if Vorberg is healthy and playing.

philitup and CometsFan repped this.
  23. FifaMan328

FifaMan328 Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Yeah I did notice some of his distribution passes were bad- is that him or the forwards not checking to the ball?
    I have no beef in the game just didn't think he was the reason the Wave lost.

Bennett, LSO and Leite were not their usual self were they? Also, where was Mike L ?

24. Dave K

Dave K Member

Jan 9, 2000
    Gloucester, NJ
    And now you have the reason he is on the Wave and not the Blast.

25. MizzouMan22

MizzouMan22 Member

Mar 2, 2008
    The reason the Wave lost is they were poor in their set pieces offensively. Plus in their 6th attacker situation at the end of the game. The ball movement was too slow.

Liete & LSO are trying to do to much isolation to create goal scoring opportunities. The wave have too many talented players to play this style of soccer.