Watford vs Spurs, PL, Sat. Jan. 18, 7:30 am ET

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Golara, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Spurs make the short trip to Vicarage Road to take on a Hornets side that is buzzing under new boss Nigel Pearson, he of the famous "Ostrich Tirade" in 2015:

After losing away to Liverpool, Watford have taken 13 points from their last 5 games and look a completely different team. Spurs on the other hand have taken just 4 points from the last 5.

Lloris has returned to training, while Ben Davies and Tanguy Ndombele are close to resuming full training. Mourinho has indicated that newcomer Gedson Fernandes will be in the match day squad along with, amazingly, Christian Eriksen, who, like an unwanted guest lingering at a dinner party, just doesn't know when to leave. All kinds of stories are swirling around about an agreed fee with Inter, but knowing Daniel Levy, he will let this saga drag on to the end of the month in the hope of squeezing an extra 1 or 2 million euros out of the Italians.

2. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Lamela ----- Son ------ Lucas

Dele ----- Lo Celso
    Winks

Vertonghen Alderweireld Tanganga Aurier

Gazza​

Very fluid front 5; could be either Son or Lucas as the CF, Lo Celso could go right with Lamela as a 10. The only real certainty is that Winks will have his work cut out as a one man orthodox midfield.

3. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Well Jose got his clean sheet. Best that can be said really.

4. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    [​IMG]

Our season in a nutshell.

5. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Unlucky not to get the 3 points. Also lucky to even get the 1 point.

I don't think left back is Tanganga's best position, but he had a decent game.

Giving credit where it's due, Aurier had several nice plays on defense.

Gedson seems to have potential.

Nice save by Gazza.

We need a target man. Plenty of other guys are capable of putting the ball in the net, but they don't seem to know what to do without Kane.

6. mekarshalev

mekarshalev Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    considering all the other results, it would’ve been great to grab the 3 pots., but frankly we didn’t deserve it.
    but the ********ing ref really got on my nerves...

7. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Levy is paying the manager we sacked £12.5 million. Levy is paying the current manager £15 million. A manager who has failed to beat Norwich, Southampton, and Watford. A manager who has presided over our first 3 game goal-less stretch in the league since the days of AVB. Levy is earning £6 million a year. A lot of money being paid out to men who are doing a shit job running our football club.

8. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Have a look around the 92 Prem/League clubs, matey - you'll find plenty of examples of clubs that are genuinely run poorly. We're not one of them.

If I'd told you ten years ago that come 2020, Spurs would be generating more revenue than both Chelsea and Arsenal, you'd've thought Levy would have to have been a genius. I'm not saying he is one - and I'm definitely not saying there's nothing to criticize him for - but it's not like he's clueless.

Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.
  9. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    We are about to lose Christian Eriksen for peanuts - whose fault is that?

10. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    That's on Levy, to my thinking - assuming that Poch wanted to move him on. Though to be fair, when he's sold star players wanting away - like Berbatov, Modric, Bale, etc. - he's been criticized for keeping us a small-time selling club, as well. So he really can't win there. But yeah, this hand has not been well-played, by any stretch.

At any rate, I could make a very long list of things Levy's done that I haven't liked. And some that I really didn't like. Hell, he would have taken Spurs to East London if he could have, which I would have found literally unforgivable. On SC he's got a load admirers - known as the BSoDL* - who think he can do no wrong, and I'm certainly not among them. But I remember Alan Sugar and Irving Scholar, as well. We're a very big club, but we're not one of the behemoths - despite finishing above a bunch of 'em recently. Frankly, without Daniel Levy, our last fifteen years would have probably looked more like Everton's or Villa's than what we've enjoyed. I just don't see any reason to presume that what we would get, were he to go, would be better, when the odds are that it would be significantly worse.

I hope I'm not just coming off contrarian, here, on this. As always, bitching about Spurs is our birthright, so there's no criticism there. I guess I just don't see things right now as being any worse than I would've expected once Pochettino moved on, so maybe I'm just a little less discouraged than others.

*bastard sons of Daniel Levy

Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.
  11. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    That hits the nail on the head for me. Sure, Levy out, if you can guarantee that the next guy is better, lol.

Here's one thing he's done well - the new stadium is financed at 2.66% interest. I'd like Daniel to renegotiate my mortgage...

https://www.sportbusiness.com/news/tottenham-hails-stadium-financing-deal/

12. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Everything is in place for us to be a powerhouse. The only thing holding us back is a chairman or an ownership with vision. We must be the richest 8th placed team in football.

14. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    To modify a quote from Charles Schulz: "Tottenham are a no goal in the goal decision system of life"

15. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    What would you say if there's some truth to the Bale rumours?

16. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    As Billy Bob Thornton said in Bad Santa:
    "Why don't you wish in one hand, and shit in the other. See which one fills up first".

17. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    don't do it, adrenaline! I got tricked into that once. the handful of wishes was ok, and it proved my point, as I filled it almost instantaneously. but I still ended up with a handful of my own shit.

it wasn't worth it.

Golara repped this.
  18. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    At least you got some wishes in there...

19. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  20. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    oh, wait. let's all take a moment to verify that it's actually a goal, shall we? we can celebrate then, if so.

edit: alrighty then!

21. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    … and more pressure. a second would be very welcome.

22. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    halftime. 1-0. not bad, but hardly done and dusted.

23. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    ha! I'm in the wrong thread. :D:D:D

… dumbass.

Golara repped this.
  24. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    We could have used a Deli goal Saturday...

25. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many years before that movie, I had a workmate who's favorite saying was that... I grew to hate it.