Watford v Chelsea, Nov 2nd (EPL Fixture #11)

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Kerry Dixon's Boots, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Also, I thought Dave was sloppy today, too many giveaways.

2. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Pretty cool to see Foster go straight to Kepa after that.

Foster made this a match.

3. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    We were over hitting some balls for sure. Is that our players being too eager?

4. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    That's Watford getting the playing Chelsea bump.

5. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well that was closer than it should have been! All season I see us playing brilliantly for a time, fair for a time, and poor for a time only the brilliant play periods ate getting longer and the poor play periods are getting shorter :), fully deserved 3 points today and the winning margin should have been much bigger - Jorghino was fabulous and the man of the match, he is going to be GREATLY missed against Palace - honourable mention to Foster who was outstanding for them.

6. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Trying to see out the match for 25 min changed the game. Gave Watford life, knowing that Chelsea wouldn’t take risks to score. Made them aggressive. That said, but for Foster it would have been 4-1.

Chelsea seemed shy about trying through passes, and poor at them when they tried. Maybe they are still getting used to one another.

7. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    For all the good work they do, Kov and Jorginho are capable of some absolutely braindead play on way too consistent a basis.

Glad we pulled out the win despite an OK performance. Look us, winning games with no Rudiger or Kante. Having them and RLC back will be like new signings.

8. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    That PK was such bs call...ridiculous.

So glad we won this game. Gonna miss Jorgino against CP.

9. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Didn’t see most of the second half. Thought we played pretty well in the first half, nice to see Pulisic and Tammy with more goals. I’d like to see a bit more rotation in the squad; I think Michy starting the next game is a good idea. Tammy is looking gassed towards the end of games, William is no spring chicken.

I don’t have as many problems with VAR as most everyone else. The issue are the actual rules and how they’re applied, not VAR itself. We’ve gone from “the ref missed it” to “VAR shouldn’t call that”. There’s no right answer and never will be.

10. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Pulisic making those mazy runs through midfield like a certain belgian.

Um, Kovacic too, though.

Blueallthru repped this.
  11. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    11 app, 9 goals for Tammy.

lobomojo and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  12. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Problem with VAR is the Premier League who have sent instructions out that the refs on the pitch are not to use the pitch side monitors because it 'delays the game'. I believe UEFA has instructed referees in The Champions League to view pitch side monitors when a penalty review is prompted and then they make the final decision.

I feel the process should be VAR review, send ref to monitor, ref review again, make a quick final decision. Today was an example of a terrible and uniformed VAR decision being made remotely and it is weakening the credibility of the referees.

13. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Lots of suuuper frustrating stuff in this one, and I'm only talking about how we played, leaving out all the ref/VAR stuff which was disastrous.

However, if we step out of the moment and look at this from high up, we're a young, inexperienced team with a rookie PL manager who just keep on winning in nail-biting, nerve-wracking fashion. Not really that surprising honestly and if 3 months ago, I told you that's how it was going to play out this season, we'd all have accepted it with a smile.

14. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I’m actually more optimistic than you are. I think we’re playing quite well in the last month. There are some things to clean up, obviously, but our talent is coming through pretty well.

lobomojo repped this.
  15. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    How 'bout that then, we're that side now that Roman wanted 15 years ago, great team to watch and even the gutterpress has (must be absolutely killing them) slacked off slagging us.

Nor sure what's up with Dave lately, maybe just tired legs, but he was pretty shaky out there today.Man on man he's still great, but the modern game has progressed so far past that now that full backs need to be able to hit their passes up the field with regularity, as the back line as a whole tends to move up and wide when it's carried out...********ing chaos when his pass is shyte and the team is caught flatfooted between moving up and now trying to close out a lane and pick up a man as he turns the ball over.Happened far too many times today for a player in a top four team.

I get the shivers when I see Tomori thinking he's Gallas, he has the potential and it's great that lampard trusts the kid to do that, but one of these days....
    Still think Zouma is a great squad centerhalf and will be pretty upset when Rudiger (eventually I suppose) comes back and starts in his stead.

Heart in mouth stuff this playing around the back when you're trying to run down the clock, has it's merits I suppose, no point in lumping it up field only to have it come right back at you seconds later.However, there are times when that is exactly the tactic that's needed and we had a few of those today when it should have been in row z...and one of them cost us a penalty

Midfield is strong, one of the best in the league and will get better I'm sure.This with Kante still to come back too.Jorgi or Kova..take your pick for man of the match, assist may get it for the Brazilian Italian.

Wan't impressed at all with Pulisic out wide left, thought he made poor runs and even poorer decisions too many times with the ball.That being said, he is a revelation in the middle and a beast going right at them.He has energy, vision, skill with the dribble and a good eye for a corner shot.Brilliant burst timed to perfection to get that goal.

Tammy needs a rest, poor kid is knackered.But he is learning all the time.His all around "team" play is excellent and his enthusiasm to lead the press will stand him in good stead with Lamps.

Willian was Willian..:)

Honorable mention to Kepa. who saved the match...but honestly, it would have been a terrible injustice to drop two points here.

Not sure what was up with Lampard and not using the subs earlier, I thought Cho could have came on for Willian and Bats for Tammy much, much earlier...and I would have subbed Dave at the half.
    (kidding...maybe at the 55 min mark)

Blueallthru repped this.
  16. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yeah, the squad needs rotation.

I also can't believe we lost to United twice. Jesus Christ.

Yahtzee and lobomojo repped this.
  17. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    Video review is tanking in American football as well. It’s not making things better. Just as many errors and judgement calls, just different errors and judgement calls. I’d be happy to bin it. The only tech we need is the black and white stuff like goal line tech. Just leave the rest to the ref.

If it’s not going to make things better, why waste time and grief on it?

Also, are Kante, Rudi, and RLC ever coming back?

StamfordBridgeLions repped this.
  18. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Great to hear the Vialli, Vialli chants today during the game. #ForzaVialli

Blueallthru repped this.
  19. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Watching the highlights.
    1. Foster was great for them.
    2. No way was that a penalty.
    3. We needed VAR for the Jorghino yellow card for time wasting.

20. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I look at a very young squad, understandably still learning each other’s tendencies and how to play in the biggest league, and winning anyway. One can take their mistakes as some sort of harbinger of future disaster, or you can assume they will learn and grow from them and get better.

I look at all the young midfielders, Tammy and Batshuayi and Tomori and see the core of a bright future.

lobomojo repped this.
  21. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Some are putting forth the idea that he took that yellow on purpose, to ensure he did not miss the City game.

Wouldn't be the first time that has happened.

22. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    N’Golo Kante, Ross Barkley and Andreas Christensen all took full part in the final training session before tomorrow’s match against Ajax. Barkley has missed the blues' last four games, while Christensen has missed five. Kante, meanwhile, has been out for over a month. No news on Rudiger - although I have to say that Zouma is getting better, more solid challenges and he is good in the air, just worry about him passing the ball around. As for RLC, I think that is still a way off, and then there is 'fit' and highest level 'match fit'. To be really honest I worry about RLC and his fitness and sustainability, etc.

23. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  24. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    What if Frank got Derby promoted.

25. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Kovacic has the potential and dribbling from deep is an important part of his game AND it is a real need in our team. Willian dribbles from deep and that is about it from Chelsea players, maybe our full backs on occasion? Another reason, why I really like Reece James is his ability to do so. Anyways, Kovacic should be encouraged to do it more often. It creates space and changes the game. Sarri coached the team well, but as we know it was often too static in the middle, too predictable. "This skill makes him hard to mark in spacious areas of the pitch, and makes him a devastating tool to deploy against a high press". Eh? that has to be a good thing. Because it is those high press teams that we shall have to beat. Kovacic has the potential to be a Modric. Just wish he would bloody score a goal!!!! He has to get one soon.

lobomojo repped this.