Waterfront Redevelopment Plan

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Darkwing McQuack, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sentrido repped this.
  2. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    We also need something to redevelop this forum as well.

Yo-Joe and cwelch999 repped this.
  3. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I'm losing my parking spot to a condo that nobody will want?

jaykoz3 and sentrido repped this.
  4. sentrido

sentrido Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I couldn't read the article because of the paywall but my own anecdotal experience over these last months is a lot of companies have realized they can shed hella amounts of their office leases and get by just fine. What impact this will have on the office real estate market I don't know. As for condo space that area is always going to be a tough sell unless it comes in super affordable somehow.

5. Yo-Joe

Yo-Joe Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Montco/Philadelphia, USA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Given that Keystone Sports/the Union have purchased so much property around the stadium, it seems like they plan on being there for a while. I believe there’s a relatively inexpensive $10 million buy out in their lease which would free them to play in another stadium (for example, if something were built as part of the Penn’s Landing redevelopment). I like the current stadium a lot, but I’m not sure it’s the best long term location for the club. If the Union is committing long term, the government of Chester should be appreciative (despite the Union falling short of preconstruction development ambitions).

6. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It's not the lease that's an issue, it's the lack of elsewhere to play.

They control the revenue here, why pay to play elsewhere?

7. Yo-Joe

Yo-Joe Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Montco/Philadelphia, USA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The Sixers are actively seeking sites for a stadium so they can better control revenue (similar to the Union, as you correctly point out). The Inquirer recently ran an article citing about 5 plausible stadium locations (38th-ish & Lancaster and a South Philly site owned by Nicoletti come to mind). The Union could also continue to control their revenue in a better location, and an improved location could help better embed the team in the region’s sports psyche/spending — but your response raises a very good point: this is a Sugarman-owned team. As long as he owns, there will be no ambition to try for a better stadium situation.