Water breaks in WC

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: General' started by Distorted Humor, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Distorted Humor

Jun 26, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    I think this is a awful thing. I have played matches at school when it was hotter and just as Humid (US south) and soon they will figure out that a water break is a ideal time to show advertising.

2. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    They showed advertising in the Univision broadcast in the US.

3. Lemonade

Lemonade Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Did you also cover ~12 km and n sprints with a speed of ~30 km/h every 4 days?

soccersubjectively and puyol repped this.
  4. Doppel

Doppel Member

Jun 21, 2014
    Aren't commercial breaks something favoured in US? From the marketing standpoint, soccer is not that popular because it lacks opportunities for commercial breaks, unlike football.

5. Gonzos

Gonzos Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    If they do breaks for commericals, europe will definitly leave fifa alone

6. Snoop-a-luh

Snoop-a-luh Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Water breaks are needed for games in the conditions of those today, we won't have any water breaks tomorrow because weather won't be as drastic...not a big deal, only protecting the overall health of who matters most in the cup, the players. The guy above who said he played in such conditions should swallow an entire cucumber, what is your point? Are you comparing your high school games and training sessions to World Cup matches? Please, go see if I'm at the stop sign by your house, I guarantee you I'm over there.

7. Horseshoe

Horseshoe Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Haha, I thought this post was going to be about someone's wife's water breaking during the World Cup and husband has to take her to the hospital during the big game (or at least get her a taxi). :D

Pandore and Snoop-a-luh repped this.
  8. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see MLS liking this too...

9. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    agree with u 100%

coaches love it to give instructions and slow or change game flow

not futebol!

Wessoman repped this.
  10. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    average KMs covered is not near 9k

you are also allowed 3 subs, in case a players can not handle game conditions, rules of the games for more than a century now! well it was only 2 subs in 50' ansd 60's

11. radjedi

radjedi Member

Jun 13, 2014
    USMNT
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, I have a feeling the World Cup teams are expending slightly more energy than you did. I don't care what school you went to, I doubt you had the stamina or speed that these world class athletes have, and therefore did not expend as much energy.

12. Snoop-a-luh

Snoop-a-luh Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    These guys above have NO IDEA what they're talking about...don't worry, let them talk.

13. SirJamesBond

SirJamesBond Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Franklin, TN
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

as somebody who follows american sports, no we dont enjoy commercial breaks, we just put up with them

and the reason soccer is not popular has nothing to do with marketing, its more a stigma attached to the game with "diving" and "feigning injury" that turns a lot of people off, even though those exist in all the american sports as well which many choose to ignore

Wessoman repped this.
  14. Doppel

Doppel Member

Jun 21, 2014
    I wasn't talking about the viewership, but sponsors. Read my post.
    Football allows them more commercial breaks.

Of course that isn't the sole reason and there's more to it, but what I mentioned factors to sponsors not pushing it more aside from traditional sports.
    Considering the OP mentioned water breaks, commercials and US, it was logical to compare with US football and its handling of advertisements.

I don't know whether the water breaks will stick around (probably not), but they would be a good opportunity for maximasing the profits and players profit as well from catching some breath.