Watching Serie A in chicago

Discussion in 'Italy' started by sklitz11, Jan 26, 2010.

1. sklitz11

sklitz11 New Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Chicago
    Just wondering where all the Chicago fans are watching Serie A games.
    My first assumption is their home but I may be wrong...
    Maybe there is a hot spot in Chicago I don't know about?

2. Cool Rob

Cool Rob Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Chicago USA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One great place is Pizza Metro in Wicker Park. It's tiny... but every available space on the walls is full of Calcio scarves and shirts. The pizza is great. The owner is a hardcore Roma fan- you can see his "Totti 10" Illinois license plate on the wall. Call them and see what's up. Hopefully the dude on the right won't be there.

http://www.pizzametro.com/
    1707 W Division Street
    [​IMG]

3. sklitz11

sklitz11 New Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Chicago
    Thanks for the info...I will give them a call and see what the deal is.
    There are many soccer clubs in the "little Italy" area of the city but this is one that I did not know about...

Thanks again!

4. Cool Rob

Cool Rob Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Chicago USA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Problem. Also, Café Italia is good if you’re on the NW side of Chicago, in that Italian neighborhood on Harlem. Haven't been there in a while- it has a front room w/gelato and TV. For bigger matches, there is a larger back room with big screen. Owner was from Bari.

Caffe Italia
    2625 N. Harlem Ave.
    Chicago, IL 60707
    773-889-0455

"Caffe Italia is a small, quiet coffee shop that concentrates on Italian methods of preparation. With only half dozen tables, many people take their orders to go, but there are usually seats open for people who want to linger. The hiss of steam from the espresso machines is almost constant, and only the play-by-play from an Italian soccer broadcast might be heard above it. Customers can enjoy biscotti or even gelato with their coffee, and can purchase whole-bean imported Italian varieties to take home. Patience is important for folks from out of the neighborhood, as the staff at this shop definitely considers English its second language."

5. sklitz11

sklitz11 New Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Chicago
    Another good suggestion!!
    It's too bad that no one promotes these hangouts as "the" place to watch SerieA? I know some clubs do it for EPL games so why not Italian games?

That Harlem area is basically where I grew up so I know it well.
    There is also Club Azzurro on Irving Park Rd. on the boarder of Norridge and Chicago.

6. futbolista918

futbolista918 Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Fan:SerieA,ItalyUSNT
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to know as well. I just watch at home. I figure people have their own little family/friend groups they watch with so even if they're at a cafe or bar or something, like I'd be intruding.

I've never been to Pizza Metro, it's far from me but I've always wanted to, especially after seeing all the calcio stuff on their site and reviews. I will have to try it one weekend

I know there are soccer pubs downtown or around Chicago like the Globe Pub and all those, never been there, but figured they catered more to EPL and all that, anyone else been?

7. sklitz11

sklitz11 New Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Chicago
    Futbolista,
    There are several places to go but it would help to know where you are coming from so that you don't have to drive so far.I know a lot of places on the fringe of Chicago. You are right about the Globe that is an EPL place so no point in going there.Don't think you are intruding just make sure if the club is split into two different supporters that you sit on the proper side...ha....