Watching games in NYC on TV and at bars

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by JMoney418, Sep 3, 2002.

1. OK..I just moved up to NYC (Queens) for college (St Johns). What all channels carry games? I think I get Fox Sports and I know I get MSG and the ESPNs. In addition, what all bars are close to watch games. I heard of Nathan Hales but I take it thats in Manhattan. What subway stop is it? I normally take the E into Penn Station and go from there. Any suggestions?

2. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    ... (if you choose to stay) you can keep riding the E train to Chambers Street. That's 1 block west of
    Nathan Hales and about 2 blocks north. You'll emerge at Chambers and Church, NH is at 6 Murray Street, between Church and Broadway.

3. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
    For English Premier League games and maybe Scottish (Celtic) games, try Brian Borus Pub. It's about 15 minutes east of St. John's, in New Hyde Park, on Hillside Ave. at the intersection with Lakeville Rd.

4. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    You see, this is the treatment you get for removing "Croatia" from your profile. ;)

5. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY
    transfer to a better school....

6. Re: Re: Watching games in NYC on TV and at bars

Why? You stay at St Johns for a day or 2 and youd NEVER wanna leave....

BTW....I changed my profile ;)

7. OK...one more thing, how can I get from either Penn Station or Grand Central to the meadowlands for next thurs nite's game?

8. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY
    the Port Authority runs busses, but I have no idea about schedules...best to check www.metrostars.com

9. NEKSoccer

NEKSoccer Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Long Island, NY
    Re: Re: Watching games in NYC on TV and at bars

That pub changed its name, it's no longer called Brian Boru's. It is called "Old Shilling". It must've changed ownership. It still shows games, though I would call the place to find out which ones (i.e. I'm not sure if they still show Celtic games).

10. NEKSoccer

NEKSoccer Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Long Island, NY
    Go to the Port Authority Bus Terminal and get a NJ Transit bus from there. You can get to Port Authority by taking the "E" train to 42nd Street. The bus terminal is right there.

11. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
    Re: Re: Re: Watching games in NYC on TV and at bars

Thanks for the update. Last time I was there was a few months ago, it was still Brian Boru's. I suspected something was up because I couldn't get on Brian Boru's website yesterday.

12. yeah thanks a lot you guys...I found some soccer buddies, and a few newbies, and maybe I can take a few of em next thursday