Watching Fox News makes you stupid

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Oct 3, 2003.

1. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Re: Re: Watching Fox News makes you stupid

Are you talking about the botulinum found at the Islamist terrorist base in the remote Northern part of the country, NOT under control of Saddam? I hardly think that qualifies as an "Iraqi WMD" as the poll asked.

2. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I guess you didn't see Hume's hour-long commercial with Bush.

And the idea that CNN is slanted to the left continues to be one big Limbaugh-created myth.

3. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Re: Re: Re: Watching Fox News makes you stupid

Sorry, Sparky, maybe you need to go back to school:

The Center for Civilian Bio-defense Strategies at Johns Hopkins University says: "Botulinum toxin is the single most poisonous substance known" and "poses a major bioweapons threat because of its extreme potency and lethality, its ease of production, transport and misuse, and the potential need for prolonged intensive care in affected persons."

4. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Watching Fox News makes you stupid

One, I am back in school. Two Fox News does make you stupid: you are THE case study.

Three, you exhibit the same preciseness of language as our national leadership, which is to say none at all.

Very simply, I can list dozens of VOC (volatile organic compounds) and nuclear-related material that will kill you much more assuredly than botulinum toxin. 8 to 25% of those exposed to botulinum toxin live, and live well. Why don't you expose your digestive system to just a little bit of 1,1,1-trichloroethane or maybe some chlordane, aldrin or dieldrin...I can see it now...maybe some uranium 236 or maybe various forms of supernatant liquid waste...hmmm...

Thus, botulinum toxin is NOT "the most poisonous substance known to man," nor is it "the single most poisonous substance known," certainly not if your definitions of those words are the same as the rest of humanity's...

SYLLABICATION: poi·son
    PRONUNCIATION: poizn
    NOUN: 1. A substance that causes injury, illness, or death, especially by chemical means. 2. Something destructive or fatal.

Now go away with those definitions, play with your Google, and come back with something, anything, that isn't incessant fear-mongering based upon what Fox News has rattled off to you today...

JHC... *#*#*#*#ing retard.

5. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Watching Fox News makes you stupid

"Calling the pot kettle black...."

6. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
  7. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Watching Fox News makes you stupid

Yes, you are more knowledgeable than The Center for Civilian Bio-defense Strategies at Johns Hopkins University, whatever. That's why you're *back* in school. Remedial education, I suppose. Look up "remedial" in your dictionary if you need help with that.

8. El_Maestro

El_Maestro Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Planet Earth
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    I have to say that I do watch Fox News every now and then. It makes good comedy.

I mean, Sean Hannity trying to explain why the US weapons inspectors in a US controlled Iraq are asking for the exact same thing the UN inspectors were asking for in a Saddam controlled Iraq -more time- beats the hell out of any crappy Comedy Central special.

And let's not mention the fact that they want hundreds of millions of dollars in funds. Bwah, ha, ha, ha.

9. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ

Did Fox happen to mention that it was the United States that sent over botulinum between 1986 and 1988, when the name "Bush" was on one of the White House doors?

10. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Re: Re: Re: Watching Fox News makes you stupid

Thus, the US knows they have it...

...and you made the case for the war. Happy?

This is the thinking we all see some big franchise businesses. To think, you see something that could be corrected and you say, "It ain't my job."

11. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Watching Fox News makes you stupid

Funny, but I don't think it's a valid "case" for war to give somebody something, then shoot them because they have it.

12. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Hey, police officers give you the weapons after they shoot you. Funny, no?

13. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is quite insightful.

14. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Watching Fox News makes you stupid

This is not.

15. Michael Russ

Michael Russ Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Buffalo, NY

I don't know about "objective truth"

One of the questions was :

"People in foreign countries generally either backed the U.S.-led war or were evenly split between supporting and opposing it."

The basis for saying this is wrong is polls.

I think saying polls create "objective truth" is putting a little to much faith in polls.

I might even have been tempted to answer that question "wrong" based on the fact that I don't trust what I read in polls, and "foreign countries" is so vague that you could point to the fact that there was a "coalition of willing" countries that did support the U.S.

I would also guess that Fox was mutch more likely to report on the support in foreign countries than the other news sources.

I also don't like the fact that whoever put this out, did not note what percentage of people got which question wrong.

My guess would be there was a much larger percentage got this "supporting vs opposing" question "wrong"

My guess would be the ties to Bin Laden was a very small number, because that was never widely reported.

On the issue of actually finding WMD, I would guess that would be in the middle because early in the war, it was widely reported that things were discovered that could have been chemicals used in weapons, but then later on further testing showed they had other uses.

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that were true, then watchers of CNN would score as badly as watchers of Fox.

They don't, so it isn't. Which is the whole point of this thread. Watching Fox news makes you stupid, and part of that stupidity is making these kinds of , um, stupid comparisons of Fox and CNN.

17. Hard Karl

Hard Karl New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WB05 Compound

Seriously man, do actually believe that? How much is gained by watching Bill O'Reilley yell?

screw the times
    screw CNN
    screw fox news

I'm a Daily Show man.

18. mannyfreshstunna

mannyfreshstunna New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Watching Fox News makes you stupid

I don't either. But yet you insist that i do!

19. Michael Russ

Michael Russ Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    I think you are taking way to much out of this.

The questions (even more so, the last question) were designed to draw a "wrong" answer from conservatives.

Lets ask a poll question like.

are the words "separation of church and state" found in.

a) The Constitution.
    b) The Decleration of Independence.
    c) The Gettysburg Address.
    d) None of the above.

And see how many of the NPR types say a). while fox vewers would be more likely to say d)

20. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    The only time I have ever watched Fox news (it's now of British digital satellite), there was a man with blond hair like Vanilla Ice, eye liner and lip gloss. Within seconds I decided that that man was a twat, and Fox News are tossers for employing him. I don't like US news channels whatever their persuasion.

21. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Viewers of Fox News 4 times as likely to be wrong about Iraqi war than NPR followers

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazette/6932562.htm

Heavy viewers of the Fox News Channel are nearly four times as likely to hold demonstrably untrue positions about the war in Iraq as media consumers who rely on National Public Radio or the Public Broadcasting System, according to a study released this week by a research center affiliated with the University of Maryland's School of Public Affairs.
    Fox News officials did not return repeated requests yesterday for comment on the study.

Funded by the Rockefeller Brothers Fund and the Ford Foundation, the study was conducted from June through September. It surveyed 3,334 Americans who receive their news from a single media source. Each was questioned about whether he held any of the following three beliefs, characterized by the center as "egregious misperceptions":

* Saddam Hussein has been directly linked with the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.

* Weapons of mass destruction have already been found in Iraq.

* World opinion favored the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq.

Twenty-three percent of those who get their news from NPR or PBS believed in at least one of the mistaken claims. In contrast, 80 percent of Fox News viewers held at least one of the three incorrect beliefs.

Among broadcast network viewers there also were differences. Seventy-one percent of those who relied on CBS for news held a false impression, as did 61 percent of ABC's audience and 55 percent of NBC viewers. Fifty-five percent of CNN viewers and 47 percent of Americans who rely on the print media as their primary source of information also held at least one misperception.

"Among those who primarily watch Fox, those who pay more attention are more likely to have misperceptions," the report concludes. "Only those who mostly get their news from print media have fewer misperceptions as they pay more attention."

The PIPA study suggests a strong link between people's understanding of the news and its source. That link held true throughout different demographic segments, such as those based on education level, viewing habits, and partisan leanings, Ramsay said.

"It proves that what we're doing is great journalism," says NPR spokeswoman Laura Gross. "We're telling the truth and we let our audience decide."

22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mods, please merge this thread with the thread "Watching Fox news makes you stupid" or something like that.

23. Michael Russ

Michael Russ Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    Since the Mod who started this thread posted in the other thread I'm not sure why he started this thread, but I don't feel confident that the threads will be merged, so I will paste my comments from that thread here.

don't know about "demonstrably untrue"

One of the questions was :

"People in foreign countries generally either backed the U.S.-led war or were evenly split between supporting and opposing it."

The basis for saying this is wrong is polls.

I think saying a poll is "demonstrably untrue" is putting a little to much faith in polls.

I might even have been tempted to answer that question "wrong" based on the fact that I don't trust what I read in polls, and "foreign countries" is so vague that you could point to the fact that there was a "coalition of willing" countries that did support the U.S.

I would also guess that Fox was mutch more likely to report on the support in foreign countries than the other news sources.

I also don't like the fact that whoever put this out, did not note what percentage of people got which question wrong.

My guess would be there was a much larger percentage got this "supporting vs opposing" question "wrong"

My guess would be the ties to Bin Laden was a very small number, because that was never widely reported.

On the issue of actually finding WMD, I would guess that would be in the middle because early in the war, it was widely reported that things were discovered that could have been chemicals used in weapons, but then later on further testing showed they had other uses.

I think you are taking way to much out of this.

The questions (even more so, the last question) were designed to draw a "wrong" answer from conservatives.

Lets ask a poll question like.

are the words "separation of church and state" found in.

a) The Constitution.
    b) The Decleration of Independence.
    c) The Gettysburg Address.
    d) None of the above.

And see how many of the NPR types say a). while fox vewers would be more likely to say d)

24. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    From the aricle:

---
    The PIPA study suggests a strong link between people's understanding of the news and its source. That link held true throughout different demographic segments, such as those based on education level, viewing habits and partisan leanings, Ramsay said.
    ---

I guess that does away with my stupid people watch Fox argument.

25. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Maybe a fair share of liberals would say (a)--maybe. But NPR listeners? I really, really doubt it.

I think you'd also see that persons whose primary source of news was a conservative publication like the Wall Street Journal or the Economist would have had results of the studied survey closer to the results for NPR.

The beef a lot of people have with FOX isn't that it's conservative. The beef is that they simplify everything, distort some things, have a clear agenda, and truck in sensationalist journalism.