Watching Arsenal in London

Discussion in 'Arsenal Tickets and Travel' started by LeperKhan, Feb 27, 2007.

1. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    Hello. I'm a longtime bigsoccer member and Arsenal fan, but rarely post and only occasionally lurk around this forum. This may seem a silly question, but so it goes.

I am going to be in London next week from Wednesday morning through the following Monday, thus encompassing the Weds home Champions League match vs PSV, and - if all goes well tomorrow - the Saturday FA Cup tie at home to Man City.

This trip kind of came together at the last minute, and I realize I won't be able to get tickets for either match. So, my question is, what is my best option(s) for viewing these matches? I guess 2 questions really:

1 - are these matches on free tv vs satellite? I'm not at all familiar with how the broadcast vs cable vs satellite stuff operates in England. Our hotel I believe only gets basic over the air channels.

2 - is there a bar or other gathering place it might be worth it to visit and watch? Should I try and go out to the stadium and soak up some pre-match atmosphere and then watch somewhere in that area?

Any help or thoughts you may have are appreciated.

2. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They actually might both be on regular TV, the CL games are on ITV but it depends which one they choose to show over the air. I don't know about the FA Cup, it might be on BBC. Either way you should go to the Arsenal Tavern on Blackstock Road near the stadium, that's where the regulars from the board, and any visiting Americans will be. You never know, there may even be a spare ticket available at the last minute, its worth a shot.

3. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should check out the ticket thread (make sure to read the first post) and join Arsenal America. You may luck out with a ticket.

As for pubs, antifan mentioned the Tavern and there are others around there as well (Gooner Pub, T-birds.....)

4. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

If we beat Blackburn tonight and do have a game against Man City there will definately be spare tickets about as there are no other games planned that weekend so few Americans are over. With regards to PSV, my advice is to come down on te day of the game to the Tavern. It is very unlikely that I won't be offered a spare on the day for this game as it is midweek.

5. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    Thanks everyone for the advice and help.

I'm very disappointed there won't be an FA Cup match on the Sunday. Crap result yesterday against Blackburn. They're just so ugly to watch, but I suppose it's effective sometimes.

Anyway, I will plan to head out to the stadium on Wednesday then and see what happens. Even if there are no spare tickets available, it will be great to just be around the stadium and soak up some atmosphere and all that.

7. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore

Go down to the tavern before the match....as Rick said, it'll likely that he'll be offered spares. The man after all got me a spare for the ManU match on 90 minutes notice. I gave him a heart attack when I asked I'm sure but the man's the legend when it comes to getting you a ticket.

8. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good plan, get there early, i'd say at least an hour and a half before kickoff.

9. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    Hey - I finally am back home and just now getting a chance to come to BS for the first time since my trip. My wife and I showed up and wandered around the Arsenal Tavern until finding Rick, and wonder of wonders he was able to make a bunch of calls and track down tickets for us.

I'd like to express the same sentiments others have posted in a number of threads around here, and just say how much I appreciate Rick's efforts. I showed up (after somehow getting lost trying to find the place) and wasn't sure I could even find Rick, let alone that he would actually be able to get tickets for us. It seemed like the chances of the whole thing coming together were miniscule, but it all did. So thanks again to Rick for making it happen.

What - you're telling me there was a match and a result involved? I'm trying to suppress the memory of that, so please don't remind me.

One more thing, not sure if any of you post here, but to the Arsenal America folks we met - especially Mark from San Francisco and his posse, thanks for hanging out and chatting with us, and it was lovely to meet you all.

10. deadbeatdad

deadbeatdad New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Hello, I'm new here and just had a similarly-themed question. I'm an American visiting London and I know there are no home games this week.

But I want to watch tomorrow night's game against Aston Villa at one of these recommended pubs. What's the atmosphere like during away games (and mid-week evening)? Is it worthwhile going to a pub near Arsenal or are there any recommendations in central London (near Oxford Circus)?

Also, I'm female and would go to the pub by myself. Is that fine and normal or should I be wary? Would one pub be better than the others under these circumstances?

Thanks!

11. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    where are you staying? i watched the playoffs a few years back at The Dickens, near Paddington (longest pub in London!). so i know they have TVs that will have the match if it is on TV over there.

12. deadbeatdad

deadbeatdad New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Hi there, I am staying near Oxford Circus. It'd be fun to also see the match at a pub with Arsenal supporters, but I don't want anything too crazy (paranoia from the recent Sunday pub violence and reading _Among the Thugs_, heh). Would The Dickens be good for that?

13. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    My opinion, go to the game. There are tickets available. PM me if you want to go to the game.

14. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    we were the only ones watching the TV at the Dickens. It isn't that close to Oxford Circus, might be better off trying a place closer to your hotel that has TVs.

but I would take Rick's advice, go to the match if you can!

15. The Grimster

The Grimster Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Edmonton
    You'll be lucky! The game isn't being televised!

Why not go to the FA Youth Cup semi-final against Man Utd at the Emirates. They are expecting a crowd of about 20,000.

16. The Grimster

The Grimster Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Edmonton
    Yes - if you want to watch Chelsea or Spurs!

17. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    We stayed right around the corner from there and watched the Plymouth/Watford FA Cup match there on Sunday night actually. There did seem to be quite a few Chelsea supporters there left over from earlier in the day.

18. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    must have stopped off on the way home because that really isn't near Chelsea!

when i was there i think Sunderland was in the playoffs and there were two guys who were obvious Sunderland fans watching. no one else was paying attention though, did have the sound on which was nice.

19. deadbeatdad

deadbeatdad New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Must thank you, man! I was clueless and didn't realize it wasn't televised. Anyway, I read your message when I got home and jumped back on the tube straight for Arsenal, snagged a ticket, and watched the match 6 rows from the pitch. It was so much fun to be in Emirates--I didn't think i'd have the opportunity.

20. The Grimster

The Grimster Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Edmonton
    Brilliant! The crowd was over 38,000. A record attendance for a Youth Cup match. It was great seeing so many kids in the crowd!

The Villa game was shown in a few pubs - they must have dodgy satellite dishes!

21. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Grimster, always there to lend a hand.

22. deadbeatdad

deadbeatdad New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    So I'm guessing Sunday's game IS being broadcast in the UK? Was thinking about trying the Gunners, or perhaps somewhere more local in central London. Will I be all right on my own? Gracias. (I met Cesc Fabregas today! He signed my jersey)

23. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    Yes, you'll be alright.....it's not Baltimore you know. ;)