Watch Party for USA vs Jamaica 7/16?

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by clintn, Jul 14, 2005.

1. clintn

clintn New Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Springfield, Mo.
    Howdy, folks!

The family and I will be heading up for the Wizards game this weekend. Will there be an opportunity to watch the USA/Jamaica Gold Cup quarterfinal (3 PM on Telefutura, Ch. 830 on Dish Network)?

Yours truly,

Clint

2. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    If you head to the "barrio" down on southwest blvd I am sure that there are many resturaunts that have the channel.

3. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Great to have people up! You should look for the Cauldron tailgate, which is almost always in lot B-5, though on rare occasions it's moved to the center. There will be some small tents and a big grill. Lots of people in blue.

I don't know what kind of TV setups a lot of the Mexican restaurants have on Southwest Blvd., but you will find a lot of great food. There is a map of the area available on the page of the second link. I don't think Ortega's could carry the game, but they're my favorite in terms of authentic mexican food. Maybe Manny's or Ponak's have it?

http://www.ortegas.com/

http://www.digitalcity.com/kansascity/entertainment/venue.adp?sbid=111822139

Telefutura was just added to Time Warner's Digital Spanish Tier in the past couple weeks, so they might not even know they have it. It's channel 171.

4. IceKaiser

IceKaiser New Member

May 28, 2003
    training at altitude
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Oh thank god. I misread the punctuation in your post and I thought you said Manny's or Ponak's was authentic! Phew! Scared me for a minute. I don't think the Mayans were really into making cheddar.

5. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A look at yahoo.com, in Des Moines univision has the USA quarterfinal game at noon. telefutura has a tottenham game at 3:00. espn2 has mls.

6. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. staubio

staubio New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I made the same mistake.

I like to try the places on the Boulevard and throughout KCK, many of which I can enter and be the only gringo in the place. The food and atmosphere is awesome.

One favorite is Taqueria el taco nazo on Kansas Ave just east of 7th. Last time I was there, they were playing Mexican national team soccer. That might be a good place to try, or just try calling around to places. A lot of those guys will turn on any game they can find.

Also, in exploring a lot of hispanic neighborhoods, you can often see bars that have promotional signs indicating that they feature soccer. I can think of several in Strawberry Hill alone.