Watch list Midfielders Orange team

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, Oct 11, 2019.

1. wilson00

wilson00 Member+

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    its simple he is a focal point at atalanta and thats why he plays well. In NT like I have said before, he is never given the same consideration and especially with frenkie around who has his own commandability.

reijnders -schouten -koopmeniers in point back midfield setup.

2. AGomes

AGomes Member+

Juventus
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2023
    The Oranje and Barca have that bromance going on. Obviously even a substandard Barca team in 2024 will have their players be given the benefit of the doubt over an Atalanta Bergamo player. Just hope your Manager is watching. Even Reijnders (sorry not looking up the spelling) has done well. IMO, De Roon is out.

3. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Koop scored again today against Napoli (3-0).
    He now has 11 goals in 26 matches

BaritoPutra repped this.
  4. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    This season, in all competitions:

Koopmeiners: 13 goals and 4 assists
    Xavi: 9 goals and 11 assists

Both are playing in the competitive leagues, pushing their respective clubs to top of the table. Either will greatly improve the attacking midfield position for Oranje, and add the much needed creativity and offensive threats.

Yet Koeman opted for Wijnaldum (old and slow, Saudi league) and Reijnders (much better suited in the center of the pitch). Hmmm :confused::confused:

Oranje midfield trio should be a double pivot and an AM:

Xavi
    Frenkie — Reijnders

Subs:
    Koopmeiners == Xavi
    Veerman == Frenkie
    Schouten == Reijnders (for more defensive tightness)

Q. Timber and Wieffer for more options in crunch times (e.g. injuries).

richsavare repped this.
  5. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Gravenberch starts today against Sheffield

BaritoPutra repped this.
  6. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    https://theathletic.com/4883255/2023/09/22/how-football-works-part-two/

This is an informative article with cool animation (I think it's free), showcasing the double-pivot and an attacking midfielder tactic -- that has been deployed very successfully by Xabi Alonso (Leverkusen) and de Zerbi (Brighton).

With two strong CB's (combo of Virgil, Ake, De Ligt, Geertruida, Van der Ven), I really believe Koeman can go without a "traditional" defensive-oriented, ankle-breaker midfielder.

7. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    I like it. Perhaps the next coach will; don’t see Koeman will try this.

8. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Just finished catching up with some Eredivisie highlights from the weekend… really enjoyed Veerman (PSV v AZ). His goal was fantastic, and he could have had another one that just went inches wide off the post.

But what really stood out for me were his through-ball passes leading to two goals (first and fourth goals… these were not direct assists, so it didn’t show up on the match sheet). Excellent vision, great execution!!

Besides Frenkie, I don’t think there’s any other “creator” midfielder with such passing range in Oranje. I think Veerman is very close to earn a spot in the final Euro squad… if not already.

feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  9. You're forgetting Stengs, who can delivers such passe too, but with the added quality of being able to navigate through a defense and score.

10. wilson00

wilson00 Member+

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I also dont understand why the dutch dont use veerman in that pirlo role and have one CB cover him since they play 3 at the back and like how italy and Juventus did during their triumph.

11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Mentioning Pirlo and Veerman in the same breath is just ludicrous. Pirlo had phenomenal field vision and was an outstanding passer. Veerman has neither of those qualities. Most of Pirlo's career was at Milan and he only had a few years at Juve (who despite his presence never won a Champions League cup).

richsavare repped this.
  12. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Err.. I think he said specifically Pirlo "role" (which was not an attempt to compare Veerman to Pirlo). I understood Pirlo "role" is a deep-lying playmaker (DLP), sitting in front of the center backs -- which was where Pirlo excelled the best (IIRC, he was previously an attacking midfielder, a no. 10).

I actually would love to see two DLP's in Oranje... Double pivot! I wrote the same in the other thread. Ultimately, what's desirable (at least to me!) is Oranje midfielders who are masterful in initiating attack from their own half, comfortable in dribbling forward (keep possession), and have excellent passing ranges to release charging players (Dumfries for example). There is no room for a static, defensive-minded midfielder who is there just to "recycle" the ball to the backline.

So yes, sign me up for two DLP's... Frenkie is a must. The other could be Reijnders, Veerman, or Timber. All three options are ballers.

AGomes repped this.
  13. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'd go with Timber

BaritoPutra repped this.
  14. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Frenkie is back and started today for Barca :thumbsup:

BaritoPutra repped this.
  15. wilson00

wilson00 Member+

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Timber's back tracking is poor. That's the only weakness I have seen of him. Especially in attacking phase and there is a turn over.

16. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  17. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    High quality finish from Gravenberch who started today

18. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Frenkie hurt. Not looking good.

19. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Frenkie is injured again

20. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Visibly upset Frenkie had to come off on a stretcher.
    Heavy blow to his right foot or ankle.
    Same injury I believe he just recovered from.
    Horrendous news for Oranje.
    Ruined my day.

21. 82277

Wieffer's injury more serious than thought before.
    At least 8 weeks out of the running.
    So, not likely we'll see him in Germany.

22. A possible European Championship selection without Teun Koopmeiners? In Italy they don't understand that at all Teun Koopmeiners is the big star of Atalanta Bergamo. He is high on the wish lists of Liverpool, Juventus and Manchester United and there is no one in Italy who doubts whether he will be taken to the European Championship by Ronald Koeman. But in the Netherlands, we shrug our shoulders when the name of Teun Koopmeiners is mentioned in relation to the Dutch national team. How is that possible?
    https://www.ad.nl/nederlands-voetba...-snappen-ze-daar-helemaal-niets-van~a57bb98f/

richsavare repped this.
  23. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Koeman is a fool if he does not include Koopmeiners.
    He did receive his wish from UEFA to have a ridiculous 26 man squad.
    Now Ron can include his inept favorites like Blind De Roon Weghorst and perhaps even Babel and Strootman. :sleep: :notworthy::ROFLMAO:
    What a disgrace.

feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  24. Don't put any silly ideas in his head:mad:

richsavare repped this.
  25. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Koopmeiners scored again today… taking his tally to 15 goals and 6 assists in all competitions for his club. Paging Ronald Koeman :whistling: