Watch list Defenders Orange team

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, Oct 11, 2019.

1. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #176 DutchFanatic, Jul 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    He wouldn't be a mercenary, and you know it. He has said many times in the past (even recently) that he feels both German and Dutch, and would be honored to play for both. He has both nationalities and has lived in both countries for many years.

Germany is now his first choice which makes sense, and I am certain he will choose Germany now that he has that choice. But he has said in the past many times that he would be honored to play for either national teams. I think it's too late for Oranje now, now that he is so obviously on the radar and Germany will so obviously want to cap him. Had Koeman reached out and picked Gosens around a year ago before he was really considered for Germany, I think he would have taken up that offer and happily been an Oranje player.

So yeah, he'll end up representing Germany which is totally understandable (and good for him!) but he would absolutely not have been a "mercenary" had he chosen Oranje. Dutch father, lived in the Netherlands many years, played in Dutch pro football many years (he hasn't ever played in German pro football), speaks Dutch fluently, Dutch nationality, considers himself Dutch, etc. Not a mercenary by any means.

gabrielguilarte repped this.
  2. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    For whatever reason the Netherlands seems to be the only country that refuses to "cap" players simply to lock them down. I can respect them not doing it, but when every other team (including Germany who does it massively) does this, it's quite frustrating.

Ziyech wanted to play for Oranje, was called up and accepted, and should have been capped. Gosens if we had called a while back would have also accepted. Why Koeman waited so long i'm not sure, but he seems adamant on holding on to just a few players and not really given any chance to others.

Dest is a special situation and seems a particularly arrogant player. He was never considered for the Netherlands though because he wasn't really seen as a big talent until recently. I'm also not entirely sure how far Dest will go, I think he'll be the next in the line of highly rated Dutch rightback talents who have a decent career but never really become worldclass. It does depend what team he plays in though, if his main contribution will be offensively, he can be a weapon.

Personally I wish Koeman would have given a try to the Atalanta system for a few games.

Gosens and Hateboer as wingback with De Ligt, De Vrij and Van Dijk as centerbacks, possibly with Ake taking up one of those roles as well. It could have been huge and would really have utilized our best players in their best potential systems.
    That being said I think we have a number of other offensively strong LB's who would function within that sytem as well. Van Aanholt, Willems, Wijndal, etc. are all decent enough options!

3. pindal

pindal Member

Aug 26, 2010
    #178 pindal, Jul 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    Dest, like Dumfries, is an offensive RB, but i hardly see Dumfries not to be called up since he played most of the games during the qualifiers and was decent imo.
    Also in this moment the logical first choice is Hateboer, and Dumfries the second choice.
    It wouldn't have been easy for Dest to gain a spot over them.

True, for exemple Germany recently capped Serdar just before Turkey could recruit him.
    At least we capped Aké in time, he was also eligible to represent Ivory Coast.

4. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I do agree with your post except for this part. I mean, he can say "a lot". But it is evident that he applied for becoming a police officer in one state. "Police" to me is holding your ass out in the line of fire for a country at a time when there are rarely ever military conflicts. You almost cant show more dedication to a country. If it was the other way round, I wouldn't believe a word. Playing for the Dutch and being a German police officer at the same time? No. And I guess also 80% of people would also not understand it.

5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    When I saw him playing at Jong Ajax he did not look fast enough to be an offensive threat.

6. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    so is daley blind but has remained undisputed over the years. He only ventures forwards with weaker or average opponents. He has been considered to be too intelligent despite being a average runner lacking speed.

I very very strongly agree with this:

I will say this is where the dutch are destined to keep hitting the stumbling blocks and simply keep missing out on building the depth in the team as well.

7. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Interesting, I don't have that association at all with the police. With the army, sure. People who join the army are often patriotic and join out of "dedication to a country", but for me the police has always just been a job. I know a few police officers and they all join pretty much for the following 3 reasons:
    1. Because it's a decent well respected job that doesn't require high education levels
    2. Because they want to help people
    3. Because they think it will be an interesting job

I've never met any police officer who became a police officer out of "dedication for his country". Sorry but i'm just not buying this argument. He's not going to war, he's fulfilling a job which many people worldwide do.

8. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    I don’t follow Bakker, but I read he’s been getting some minutes. So I was curious and looked at his profile on “whoscored”. In the last match (PSG win), he did quite okay statistically speaking. He had the most tackles, and fouls, among all players. From offensive standpoint, he did not have anything valuable (key passes, crosses) to add. Overall his rating is on par with the rest of PSG defensive line - that included heavyweights Brazilians Thiago Silva and Marquinhos.

Interesting indeed to see Bakker’s development in coming weeks/months. I am always quite skeptical with youngsters playing in a rich club... they are more likely a “filler” until the next big transfer coming in. I don’t expect anything different with Bakker, unless he can really light up and gain traction. Time will tell.

For Oranje LB, my money is on Wijndal. He will need to continue to get better, for sure, and gain experience at the international level (club and country). I have a feeling, in due time, he will make “losing out” Goosens is not a big deal.

9. Well, that's the point in general. It of course is very good to have a deep bench, but in reality there are just a few core players and stand ins required. Once from the pool the selection has emerged there's only place for a new face if a spot has been filled by a mediocre one and the new kid on the block tops him.
    If you look at the list of CD's we have ranging from 17 till 27 yo. No way they're all making it into the orange squad despite being good enough.
    So dual nationals at some point make a decision.
    I think it to be unethical to cap a player just out of precaution. He either is so good he's in or he's not up to the standard yet and thus has to wait and develop further. If a player like Dest, who probably started believing the US hype being wanted desperately by Koeman but got the cold shower in his talk with Ronald, thinks he's too good to be put in the cue or isnot sure of himself seeing the competition, jumps boat....it's their loss. No young player can force himself up the pecking order but by performance.
    Just imagine if Dest does become a top defender.
    The Orange team will outstretch the US team in world cups and on top of that has the EC tournement which is after the last 16/8 de facto the world cup too.
    He will be watching the Orange team he could have been part of in case of being a top defender, but has to do with playing for a country that can't deliver top players in sufficient and coherent ways to be a force on the only top stage available to them.

10. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Ake is reportedly on his way to Manchester City after a bid has been accepted. A dream scenario for Ake... Opportunity to not only stay in top tier league, but also play in the Champions League... Man City’s aging and mediocre center defensive options (Otomendi, Stones) presumably giving him realistic chance to get plenty of minutes... and of course, the Pep Guardiola factor (keen on developing young players).

11. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Mitchel Bakker helped PSG to a second consecutive trophy in a short burst. From what I read, PSG as a team played pretty poorly. Looked like Bakker was decent, and in fact, rated highest among PSG defenders. As the last match, he had the most tackles. He is definitely taking advantage of the minutes given to him!!

The next test for him is if he could hold the spot. PSG is returning to Champions League next. PSG's first LB options (Bernat and Kurzawa) are back to fitness presumably. Bakker vs. Atalanta's fellow Dutchman Hataboer would be interesting.

12. I watched the whole 120 minutes plus penalties. In the first half he made two major mistakes that caused the ball to be put in front of the open goal mouth from about half way the box sideline. For the first ball he got verbally whipped by Silva, who just in time could intercept Depay's cross Bakker too easily let through. For the rest he was good. In the second half he played far better in my opinion, confident. He obviously is trusted by the rest of the team as they didnot hesitate to play him the ball in thight spaces. He didnot look to be out of place in that team at all.
    He plays in a way a Gio van Bronckhorst role, more like a midfielder, defensive or attacking, whatever the situation prescribes.

wilson00 repped this.
  13. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Both kurzawa and Bernat are injury prone so Bakker is destined to get minutes.

Wijndal and bakker is the way forward for NT with Maatssen not to far behind. Lets see if Lampard gives him his big break next season.

Time to move on from Blind and van annholt. There is alot of internationals coming up. Koeman has to make use if it.

14. PSG staff is so much satisfied with Bakker's performance, he's added to the CL selection submitted to the UEFA.

15. gabrielguilarte repped this.
  16. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Its should not be forgotten that it is conte's 3-5-2 formation which has been the key to De vrij outstanding performance this season . Conte is the master of 3-5-2 which provides better coverage in between the last line and also infront of them from the central midfielders. This is where de Vrij has looked more comfortable, fits perfectly and and has exceled compared to last season under spaletti where backline looked shaky in normal 4 man backline.

I wouldnt count on him in 4-3-3 as this is where his weaknesses creeps in. Experienced backup for de ligt. This is how I would rate him.

17. I personally would play for the Orange Team a 3-4-3 formation whenever we play a team that lines up a 4-4-2 formation.

18. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Done deal. The 4th-most expensive Dutchman of all time. I have been lukewarm on Ake all along (I think he is too mistake-prone), but the prospect of him playing at the toughest competitions under Pep Guardiola is quite intriguing. I hope the spotlight is not too bright for him!! Sounds like Manchester City will try to bring in another a caliber CD reinforcement - hopefully that will take some pressure off Ake.... with still plenty of minutes to be had.

19. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Having an extra offensive playmaker will give a ton relief to Frenkie De Jong in midfield. Somebody with creativity who can roam free and break the defense with his dribbling... like Stengs or Ihattarren.

Frenkie, De Roon, Wijnaldum, Stengs... this quarter would be awesome!

20. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Maatsen called up by Lampard for Bayern clash. looks like he has jumped ahead of juan familia castillo.

21. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Van der wiel training with RKC Waalwijk.

Van Rhijn's name pops up at Schalke.

22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Seriously? I thought this thread was supposed to be about players who have a real chance at playing for the NT.;)

23. You never know. Once the Wiel gets turning ...;)
    But I have to admit it needs alot of water to flow through the Rhijn before it happens:D

DutchFanatic repped this.
  24. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Damn, that was actually pretty good.

25. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    De Ligt will undergo shoulder surgery and is set to be out until November as he recovers. Apparently he's been playing through the pain since he dislocated his shoulder last November. Will miss Oranje games in Nations League against Poland and Italy in September. Speedy recovery for him, and come back ever stronger!