WashPost: Razov to the Metrostars?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by geordienation, Nov 13, 2004.

1. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A46223-2004Nov12.html

Buried at the end of Goff's piece on the season awards:

2. twelfth man

twelfth man New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Connecticut
    I fear that Razov will find it difficult to reach his 2003 form; over 30, recovering from a long season-ending injury and (if trade) not playing alongside Damani Ralph, Razov is likely to struggle to put up the numbers achieved when the Fire played the Earthquakes in the final.

The MetroStars need physical, tight-marking defenseman or two... Jim Curtin would be the way to go. I'm assuming that Guevara, Gaven, Clark and Wolyniec would not be traded but that others are available if the price is right.

3. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    I would guess that the Fire would get Pablo Brenes and another player in return, since they need a left-back.

4. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    2003 incarnation of Jaime Moreno, Sergio Galvan Ray now an aging often injured Razov. I hope bad news doesn't always come in three's.

5. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC

Our defenders are fine. What we need is a strong physical and mental presence in the midfield, and an older, proven striker up top. SGR was supposed to be the striker, he didn't pan out.

6. theburden

theburden Member

Jul 11, 2002
    MDSC head brewer
    You're insane if you think the Fire would let go of curtin.

7. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    I don't know what the Fire get in return, but Metro needs a guy like that. yea he's 30+, but he's got a good shot and plays foul-defending in the front half, something that is hell to play against.

Wonder what he'll get in return.

8. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'll play three games for Metro

max.

9. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    While the Fire may be interested in a left back, I don't think that a 137 lb 22 year old with virtually no MLS experience will quite fill the bill.

10. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brenes is a L Mid- Attacking player, not a LB

Metro in fact don't have a LB - Chris Leitch played out of position all last year - either, which was a major problem last year.

11. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brenes showed very well for the Costa Rican Olympic team and totally crap for Metro, which means that he'd probably do quite well for the Fire

Armas would play two games max if traded to Metro.

12. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC

No he'd play half a game. What is up with you man? Just ebcasue Jaime is a bitch, doesn't mean that every other player in MLS has no ethics or pride in playing their best whatever the circumstances, or whomever they player for.

13. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Fire would probably ask for a high second round draft pick and some above average defender [maybe, but not sure]. Interesting talk as I see Razov being a guy the Fire wouldn't kill themselves to keep.

14. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I agree, considering the facts, Damani Ralph, great player in MLS, hasn't really brought that form to his countryside, and that limits his chances of going to Europe right now. If he heats up with his countryside, the best of Europe will come a calling.
    And the scouting Chicago has is one of the two best, alongside LA.
    Andy Herron is a great pick up, and the money left over from Beasley, and Bocanegra will keep him around alot longer.

I think on the flip side this is a good deal for the Metros, although I, for the better of the league would think he should go to the Rapids, make the soccer over there a little better than it is.

15. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Now that Chicago has Herron they don't need Razov anymore. The old Fire (Thornton, Armas, Razov, and the already gone Nowak, Beasley, and Bocanegra) are being disbanded. In with the new Fire (Ralph, Herron, Ring, Curtin, and whoever else they want to bring in). The only problem is what players do the Metros have that they Fire would want (besides the ones they wont give up).

16. Bigdudeduke

Bigdudeduke New Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Chicago Suburbs
    A move like that would fall into the "Boneheaded" category. Although the Metro's GM is truly a "Bonehead", Peter Wilt is not. We need good defenders, and Jim is the most productive defender we have - sorry - no dice. :p