WashPost: Gazza Decision Close

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by geordienation, Jul 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Signing a 35 year old player to a league max salary is a win-win situation? Okay, if you say so.

By the way, Hudson has said that the league is not stading in his way on this; it's up to him:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A23780-2002Jul30.html

'The league "hasn't interfered to this point and I don't expect them to," he said. "At the end of the day, it's my decision. I'll be held fully accountable."'

and

'Hudson's statement that it is United's decision "sounds consistent with the teams' collective wishes for holding responsibility and accountability for their competition-related and player personnel decisions," MLS spokesman Trey Fitz-Gerald said. "It's part of our evolution as a league."'

2. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a season and a half, with lots of get out clauses is a win/win.

Assuming Marco, Moreno and Amman are off the pay role next year, who are you proposing fills out the roster? Kids from the draft? Players who are even more washed up with less talent than Gazza? What money is going to be available for transfers? Who are you going to trade?

3. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would expect Ammann and Marco of the books but I don't think Ray has given up on Moreno yet.

4. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: WashPost: Gazza Decision Close

I sure hope RH hasn't given up on Moreno. I don't think he has fully recovered from his knee trouble. More shaman action needed in the off-season.

5. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I think the worse thing that could happen at this point is that this deal could fall apart. Talk about a PR disaster. It makes MLS look retarded and inept (not hard there.) While we the fans are left wondering why the hell they have been stringing us along.

I am a real Ray fan but I have to admit that his quote after the Rev's game pissed me off. He said something about with the way the team is playing we might have to give up on Gazza because of our needs up front for goals... Now thats all fine, but is he such a f-ing nimrod that he JUST realized this after the Rev's??? I mean the fact is NOTHING changed after that game. at least nothing we did not know all already. In fact Quintanillia was really encouraging so why would he say something so stupid? I would like to think that this might have been a negotiation ploy on Gazza... Trying to convince his agent that we don't need him as bad as it looked... but I am not holding my breath either.

6. ONE

ONE Member

Aug 11, 2000
    NOLA
    listening to the interview with ray during the fire match...its sounding like gazza's not going to join up. ray hasnt come out and said as much...but he just sounds depressed talking about it.
    no me gusta.

7. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    This whole thing is officially getting f-ing stupid. Why should we listen to any of these people?

8. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Because it takes our mind off of what is going on out there on the field.

9. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    yeah but it is now officially becoming equally as annoying... we cannot even do this right.

10. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah, I'm sure it'll be headline news all over the country.

If they don't sign him, big freaking deal. Gazza was an opiate; something to get United fans' minds off the fact that the team royally stinks. Would signing him take this team to the promised land? Of course not. Signing Gazza and pumping him up as some saviour for MLS (like the league did with Lothar) would be a real recipe for a PR disaster.

If MLS/United sign Gascoigne, fine. He's a player. ONE player, a simple acquisition, albeit an intersting one. One with a fascinating history who just might have some magic left in his boots. As long as MLS/United doesn't mortage the future on the guy, doesn't treat him like some freaking God, and has a clear strategy for parting ways in a timely manner if the relationship doesn't work out, then I won't lose any sleep if he's acquired.

If he doesn't get signed, the only people who end up looking stupid are those of us who've spent so much time discussing this on-line over the past few weeks.

11. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Hi sunshine! Thanks for letting me know the team royally stinks and many of us will look stupid if Gazza isn't signed

Seems to me like in your own mind, like you told us, you'll always look great (unlike many of us) over the Gazza situation...so if you feel so good about yourself why the bitter tone?

12. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I've wasted quite a of of time and energy discussing Gascoigne myself. Not sure how I'll personally look great whatever happens in the Gazza saga.

And I doubt that you needed me to tell you that DC United have stunk this year.

13. dcuinvermont

dcuinvermont New Member

Sep 8, 2000
    Burlington VT
    I think we all look covered in sh!t regardless of the outcome, but there might be degrees of how deep the coverage is ;)

14. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Speaking of the coverage-I don't get it. Gazza's coming, he isn't coming. Gazza is going to be payed max MLS salary, Gazza isn't. Gazza was taking shots after the game, Gazza's behavior after the game was nothing out of the ordinary.

The coverage has been confusing-so the fan reaction is explainable. I'm not sure what to believe anymore

Are we going to sign the guy or not. It's about time someone made a final decision on this-has been going on too long

15. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, 100%.

Didn't Ray say he'd make up his mind today?

16. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is everyone so worried about the team looking bad from the Gazza Affair??? I think we should be pretty embarassed about the team we are putting on the field and the results they are not getting. Nothing should be more disgraceful for your team than to be in last place, on the verge of setting a league record for minutes w/o a goal and possibly missing the playoffs (where 8 out of 10 teams advance) for the third straight year. That is what is FUGGING EMBARASSING!!!!!!!

17. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Where's the contradiction there? ;)

18. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Has Ray made the decision?

19. revelation

revelation Member+