WashPost 11/13 :: Mike Wise :: Nowak creates a United state

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by geordienation, Nov 13, 2004.

1. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A46503-2004Nov12.html

Great column from Wise. He was an absolute STEAL from the NYT. Even though his best stuff is basketball related, this shows he can write outside his usual area.

2. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Just noticed the dateline: Carson.

Looks like Wise is there for the weekend.

3. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Great article.

I was shocked to read the beginning part specially just after reading Timoteo's thread!

4. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice...Gildea, Goff and now Wise. Post big sports guns interested in soccer, and TWP paying to have that happen.

This is good.

5. sckrmom

sckrmom New Member

Jul 17, 2003
    Gainesville, VA
    What a great article about Piotr! He deserves all the recognition (and the Cup) :)

6. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    I have only one thing to say about this article:

This guy Wise, he's a writer.

Tim

7. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a good article. It's nice to have another writer in the stable.

Are the print media the only ones with folks in(and around) Carson? I noticed that Channel 7 had a crew at the last practice at RFK, but nothing since. And WTOP has been going out of thier way to mention it during almost every sports segment.

8. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    First, I can understand giving COTY award to Andrulis--the streak is really hard to ignore (even if Andrulis is a fool). I personally think Gansler deserved for how KC produced despite the pieces that went down. But that said, this article shows just how outstanding Nowak is. The team didn't really come together until the last month before the playoffs. So it's hard to argue he's COTY on the basis of that. But I see so many parallells to Arena here. I know they're different personalities with different strengths and weaknesses. But it took a while for Arena to get things together as well.

Second, outstanding writing by Wise. There is a lot he could have chosen to write about--focusing on Nowak was perceptive on his part (as opposed to a glitch piece about "Freddy's first MLS Cup!" or "Olsen and Moreno return to past glory" or other stuff that would be easy to identify as a story. Chosing Nowak as the story (and getting some of the details that he did) demonstrates a decent understanding of the sport.

Third, very nice to see that Gildea, Goff and Wise are all out there. We haven't seen anything from Solomon yet either--I'd not be shocked if he was out there as well.

9. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Nice addition!

I particularly liked this paragraph:

10. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great article. It's always nice to see positive, legitimizing, people-really-do-care-about-soccer articles,

11. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Great article!

12. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking about fining my teenage son for putting his shirts in the laundry basket inside-out. Why didn't I think of it before? Thanks, Piotr!

13. feverPitch

feverPitch New Member

Jul 19, 2004
    N. VA
    I love Peter Nowak. =) I had been kind of sorry to see Hudson go last year, but not now that I've seen what Nowak's been able to do. He handled the Freddy thing really well, too.

Great article!