Washington Times: Rimando to be left unprotected.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Cweedchop, Oct 30, 2004.

1. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    If he keeps playing like he did for the last month or so, then no. It just depends on how hung up management is on Thornton.

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Hmmm ... :D

3. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I have to agree with you guys, there is no need to discuss these things, until the end of the season, or at least DC's.

However, it would be ridiculous if Rimando is left unprotected. He was going to have a great year last season, but the injury bug hit.
    Don't get me wrong but there is nothing special about Thornton, and there is nothing that he can bring to DC, that a healthy Rimando can't. Especially considering Thornton's age as well.

I would go as far to say that Rimando, when healthy, is among the top three goalies in the league.

4. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    You look pretty smart after watching DC United shut out the Metros again tonight :D

--Of course, the two players that were key to doing it, Nelsen AND Rimando are also the ones rumored to be leaving... Go figure :rolleyes:

KEEP NELSEN (AND RIMANDO) IN DC :D

5. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that it's too early to be talking about next year (Semis!) but one thing is for sure; Rimando's stock is back up at its 52-week high. Great job, Nick!

6. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    A healthy Rimando has given up 4 goals in 8 games (one a penalty) and United has won 7 of those 8. Seems like decent play to me.

The real test will be next week without Nelsen in front of him, but at least Nick is looking better on three main areas that he's had trouble with in the past.

1. Crosses. Still not the best in the league by any means, but he's not handicapping the team like he was early in the season.

2. Saves on difficult areas of the goal. Look at Eddie Gaven's upper 90 shot tonight and Guevara's fre kicks last week.

3 Deflected shots. Rimando's reaction time is definitely back. He is clicking mentally again. Tongiht Galvan Rey and Glen both had difficult deflected shots that were redirected towards the lower corner of the goal and Nick saved them both.

7. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    I dunno if anyone has already said this but I think MLS has told DC to leave Rimando unprotected. He's half Mexican right? So Chivas USA would have an American with Mexican descent.

8. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I'm pretty sure MLS is past most of this type of behavior, as evidenced by the fact that Danny Szetela didn't just get handed to the Metros like he wanted to.

9. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

Is my sarcasm detector off have you not read this thread?

10. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. It abolutely doesn't make sense to base on team on a relatively small minority of players throughout the League. In addition, each year I expect MLS to bring in better and better American and other players that don't speak any Spanish.

11. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    Nah. I didn't bother. I really think that MLS is tinkering with this. It would be too obvious for a player like Szetela when the lottery think is on ESPNEWS. A player like Rimando? Is that really coincidence if the one good keeper of Mexican ancestory in the league ends up at Chivas? Does it make sense for DC to get rid of a keeper who could take them to MLS Cup? I really think this is the league.

12. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering that it hasn't happened yet, you are getting ahead of yourself.

I guess this is an example of 'pre-conspiracy' theories.

13. Blacksheep

Blacksheep New Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Ohio
    Just as a reminder, it has not been Rimando that has taken DC United to the playoff's, it has been the great Defensive back line and midfield that has really stepped up and played well. Rimando has just been doing his job and the job that any keeper in the MLS could do. Again, Rimando is an ok keeper, but makes every save look so dramatic that the normal fan just thinks he's made a speculator save. He's athletic, but fails greatly at reading the game, high balls and crosses. His distribution the last couple of games, leaves alot to be desired.

The Thornton theory is just bull, why would Chicago now give up Zack after the year that they have had? Henry Ring and DJ Countess would make for a great back up only. Keller - who can afford him, if he comes back. Why would any MLS team want to pay a Keeper more than 80-90,000. when you can have one at 40-50,000. and use the other money for better defensive players, except the teams that already have good high priced keepers.

14. Cantankerous

Cantankerous New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    United country
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree completely. Nicky is a capital fellow, and very athletic, but his positioning is only fair. He makes dramatic saves because he has to make dramatic saves. His best save of the night came about DIRECTLY because of an egregious giveaway right up the middle. If he's even a mid-priced player, I'd ship him out.

15. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    And he's the only goalie in MLS not to have given up a playoff goal.

He has made several sterling saves on deflected shots and stoned Guevara on numerous free kicks that other goalies watched go in all season. I didn't realize that in fact it was Rimando who kept fouling players on the edge of the box in the first Metrostars game and that's what brought those free kicks upon him. Maybe the defense didn't have that great of a game considering they kept giving up those chances.

Why can't you guys just give credit when credit is due? If Perkins had stepped up and not done an average job, I would be applauding his efforts, not praying that he screws up so I have material to post on BigSoccer just because I like Nick.

Do some of his saves look more spectacular because he flies through the air? Sure, but is that something that he should be railed upon for? Look at where the shots were going. Gaven and Guevara both had a couple upper 90 bids during the series that were saved. Two shots that were coming right at Rimando and were deflected to the lower corners and Rimando made reaction saves against them.

You guys are the same people who are saying that it's ok for Perkins to stand and watch a deflected shot go in because he doesn't think he has a chance at getting them while Nick flies through the air acrobatically and makes a finger save on a perfect shot and you say it is luck and he's no good.

16. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, here's what I have to say. One of my daughter's friend's team is trained by Nick Rimando and Jackie (sp) Little. Word from her is that Jackie and Nick say they're moving to California next year.

17. Blacksheep

Blacksheep New Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Ohio
    Thamlin19 you amaze me, if someone has a fact to state about Nicky boy and you don't like it, you blast them. Just because you think Nicky is the greatest keeper, that's fine, but that does not always mean the other half think the same. I have watched Nicky for the last 5 years and again he is an ok keeper, but by far does not deserve that much credit for the turn around of this team. It had very little to do with him. Yes, he has made a few good saves, but by far are they saves that no one else could have done - as you make it sound.

Don't you think Perkins would have loved to have the same team in front of him that Nicky now has? Who wouldn't, they have played great. Nicky has been in the league for 5 yrs and Perkins rookie year, big difference and at no time in the post did I compare Nicky with Perkins. And Perkins watching balls go past him and not making an attempt, look at those shots. Please, be realistic. You think Nicky is so great and I do not see it. So, that's that.

18. kravi

kravi Member

May 3, 2004
    Section 134
    Nah. These are the same folks who'll be whining about our problems after we win the MLS Cup... It's a lifestyle. It's American... :D

--kravi

19. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. If this is true, it makes the whole 'expansion draft' thingy a very elaborate exercise in 'going through the motions,' no?

20. Jegao Paraiba

Jegao Paraiba Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Morgantown, WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rimando is great and I'm glad that he's met with success after his injury.
    I was also very impressed with Perkins.
    This all comes down to money.
    In a league with a basement salary cap, a few thousand dollars matters.
    I tend to think that if Perkins isn't too deeply scarred by the early season buzz saw into which he was thrown, he can perform approximately as well as (or better than) Rimando has. And he's definately younger and cheaper. I don't know the salaries, but we're going to have some folks with their hands out for more money and most of these folks deserve more money.
    This low cap puts everything on a knife's edge. Throw in expansion and lots of teams are going to have to part ways with people that they would keep in a slightly more ideal world.
    Rimando might be one of these. If he is, it's not because people think he sucks or people don't like him.

21. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Well, while this is by no means a press release or a story from Goff, it certainly adds some credibility to this whole rumor.

I mean, it's still a rumor, but it people are hearing that Nick and his finacee are telling people they're moving to California - where both Nick and Jackie happen to be from - and the rumor has them going to California, then I'd say there might be something to this.

At least, the Rimando to Chivas part. Don't know about the Thornton part, though it does make sense. Afterall, why would the Fire burn cap room on him when Ring gives them an all-star caliber GK for much less. And, with Thornton here and United presumably wanting an expereinced GK to battle Perkins, there is some logic to this move.

Though it's still crazy to assume Rimando speaks Spanish!

22. kravi

kravi Member

May 3, 2004
    Section 134
    Wow. If Nicky goes I'm gonna be depressed. I like the way he manages the defense (we'll need it with Nellie going), and I like his athleticism.

Maybe we can steal Reis from NE. I have to admit I was really impressed by him in yesterday's game vs Cowlumbus.

--kravi

23. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Your blind homerism for Perkins is even more astounding. Just because the kid grew up around you means that you have to support him without an unbiased eye?

I for one do NOT think Nick is "the greatest" keeper. Far from it. However, I think that you and a select other people feel that Perkins is more deserving of that title and continually bash Rimando despite success.

As I said, a lot will be determined in this next game. You want to give all credit to Ryan Nelsen for DC's turnaround, and while that clearly does help the team, since coming back to full health Nick has made the saves to keep this team in games.

You feel as if it's your job to spread this propaganda that Perkins is an amazing goalie. Please bring up the post you made recently that it was ok for Perkins to not attempt to save shots that he thought he couldn't get.

Is Nick Rimando "the greatest" goalie? Absolutely not.

The problem is, you claim to be spreading "facts" about Nick Rimando when all you are doing is trashing him.

Here are some facts.

The team has a winning record with him in the net.

DC does not have the same with Troy Perkins.

His goals against average was the lowest of anyone playing a qualifying amount in the league. Troy Perkins' was one of the highest.

You countered this point during the season by saying that the lower goals against average was because he had less saves to make, which I argued was a result of better organization, and you said it was a result of better defense. Well, through the first two playoff games, Rimando has made significantly more saves than any other goalies in the league, and is the only one to not give up a goal. You say "don't you think that Perkins would have loved to have had this same team in front of him", well, they're giving up more shots than Perkins had to face during the season. I believe Perkins was seeing about 3.25 saves per game and Nick was at 1.88 at one point in the season. Rimando is averaging 6.5 at this point in time so again your point is moot.

Those are facts, not opinions.

In my opinion, many of these saves were not routine and of variety.

You guys blast him for his positioning and coming out recklessly on crosses, but look where he was on Cornell Glen's header.

I would have no problem with you if you spread facts as you claim to do. But my angst towards your post is that you are the Michael Moore of these boards. You twist facts around with your opinions and present them as the gospel.

I agree that there is a difference between Perkins and Rimando because of experience, but should that be an excuse for someone to play badly or show a lack of effort? ANYONE who is deemed good enough to be a starting player for a team should be ready. An occasional rookie mistake would of course be excusable, but watching shots that could have been saved by anticipating and getting fingertips on them as is Rimando's style is absolutely deplorable.

But finally, what irks me the most is you blame Perkins' rookie status on the fact that the defenders don't seem to listen to him as much. I think that's crap. Anyone who inspires confidence in their teammates will be listened to, and every goalie should be doing this.

Why don't you go back and look at the posts from earlier in the year when Nick was giving up sh!t goals? I blasted him then too because he wasn't playing up to the precedent that he had set for himself in years past. Of course it came to be that he needed knee surgery again, but I will still say his performance in the first half in that game versus LA was simply pathetic and he deserved to be benched.

But look at it now. This team is thriving right now. They're playing inspired soccer and Rimando has done nothing wrong and yet you still come on here and say "Just as a reminder..." and proceed to give Rimando no respect.

You ask me to look at Perkins fairly, and it's something that I think I have. For being somebody deemed originally not good enough for any MLS team and coming off of an unheralded collegiate career I think he has done just about as well as anyone expected. He made some decent saves and didn't let in too many soft goals that cost United points.

With all this being said, I don't think that United, with Perkins in goal, would have advanced nearly as easily from the first round series. THAT is my opinion, presented as such, not as a "fact".

Through and through, I hope we can agree on one thing. Regardless of who is in the net, we want DC United's starting goalie to be holding MLS Cup in two week's time. Clearly you feel as if Rimando will blow the game for DC on Saturday without Nelsen in there "saving him". I think that right now Rimando is doing a stand-up job, so why would you trash him?

24. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Considering there's a real good chance Adin Brown's career is done, I really doubt they're going to give up Reis so they can have Mr. Winless for his Career Warren as their sole netminder.

Just a hunch, though.

25. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Well who knows how this will wind up but as long as we have either Rimando or Thornton as our starting GK next year, we should be all right. Both are good all-star quality keepers.