Washington Spirit 2015: News, Articles, Videos, Photos etc.

Discussion in 'Washington Spirit' started by lunatica, Mar 16, 2015.

1. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    Roster:
    1 Goalkeeper Ashlyn Harris 10/19/1985 Satellite Beach, FL
    2 Defense Katherine Reynolds 09/14/1987 San Clemente, CA
    3 Defense Caprice Dydasco 08/19/1993 Honolulu, HI
    4 Defense Megan Oyster 09/03/1992 Naperville, IL
    5 Defense Whitney Church 04/30/1993 Ashburn, VA
    6 Midfield Angela Salem 07/24/1988 Akron, Ohio
    7 Midfield Christine Nairn 09/25/1990 Annapolis, MD
    8 Midfield Diana Matheson 04/06/1984 Oakville, Ontario
    9 Forward Laura del Rio 02/05/1983 Madrid, Spain
    10 Forward Caroline Miller 07/16/1991 Rockville, MD
    11 Defense Ali Krieger 07/28/1984 Woodbridge, VA
    13 Midfield Amanda DaCosta 10/07/1989 Katonah, New York
    15 Midfield Joanna Lohman 06/26/1982 Silver Spring, MD
    16 Forward Tiffany Weimer 12/05/1983 Bridgeport, CT
    17 Midfield Veronica Perez 05/18/1988 San Mateo, CA
    18 Goalkeeper Kelsey Wys 02/04/1991 Coral Springs, FL
    19 Defense Crystal Dunn 07/03/1992 Rockville Centre, NY
    21 Defense Alex Singer 11/18/1987 Rye, New York
    22 Defense Arianna Romero 07/29/1992 Glendale, AZ
    23 Defense Tori Huster 09/23/1989 Cincinnati, OH
    24 Defense Estelle Johnson 07/21/1988 Fort Collins, Colorado
    26 Forward Estafania Banini 06/21/1990 Mendoza, Argentina

2. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    "The Spirit are close to signing an international who is expected to help the team’s offensive production. The young player will play at the World Cup this summer, according to Parsons, but is expected to be available for 16 of the 20 regular season games. That would seem to imply that the player’s country is not expected to advance far in the World Cup."
    "When this signing is complete, the Spirit will have one international spot still available. The team is currently in negotiations with two different players for this spot and whomever signs with the team is expected to join the club after the World Cup."

Until then they're thinking about playing several players up top (besides Miller and Weimer who are coming back from injuries): Estefania Banini, Laura Del Rio, Amanda DaCosta and... Caprice Dydasco. Parsons should be glad that they were able to draft her, especially after he chose to draft Oyster first.

http://equalizersoccer.com/2015/03/15/washington-spirit-forwards-caroline-miller-injury-return/

3. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think that Dydasco was probably a steal as about the 20th player selected in the draft. She has the speed, endurance and the work rate to be a success at left back, left midfielder and (who knows?) left forward.

Washington desperately needs someone who can score.

4. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I'm not a fan of scoring by committee, which it seems is what Parsons is going for. Also, is that the updated roster after the cuts that were expected today? If so who was dropped?

5. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    Parsons probably took this first week to establish who can possibly be the best candidate to play up front and he'll focus on that 1-2 players from now on. I'm not sure about roster. It looks like this roster includes players that are already signed or were acquired via trade.

6. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    Updated Preseason Roster
    *Non-roster invitee
    ^players not currently in preseason, but under contract

Goalkeepers (5): Ashlyn Harris^, Kelsey Wys, Erin Quinn*, Che Brown*, Emily Lillard*

Defenders (11): Ali Krieger^, Crystal Dunn^, Ari Romero^, Alex Singer, Tori Huster, Caprice Dydasco, Megan Oyster, Whitney Church, Estelle Johnson, Katherine Reynolds, Jade Seabrook*

Midfielders (8): Veronica Perez^, Diana Matheson^, Joanna Lohman, Angela Salem, Christine Nairn, Amanda DaCosta, Jennifer Skogerboe*, Kelsey Pardue*

Forwards (6): Estefania Banini, Tiffany Weimer, Caroline Miller, Laura del Rio, Emily Banes*, Yanara Aedo*

Aedo will participate in preseason and train with the pro team, but has signed with the Spirit Reserves.

They released DEF Bri Hovington; MF Tahnai Annis; FW Hannah Kronick and added GK Che Brown and Emily Lillard.

http://washingtonspirit.com/pro/washington-spirit-announce-updated-preseason-roster/

7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  8. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw this tweet this morning - from yesterday's 1-0 pre-season win vs. UNC:

Wys's punts are like howitzers - she can and will get the ball to fast breaking forwards. She got robbed of an assist last year by the official scorekeeper for the Flash. She did put up an assist or two in college.

Fun to watch - Spirit fans will like.

9. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought we established that her not getting the assist was a fair call. No robbery whatsoever.

10. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct - but there is such a fine line between "correctly scored" and "robbed" when doing a little legend-building. :D

Blaze20 and cpthomas repped this.
  11. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I remember watching her kicking game and thought how deadly it was. Good to see that she is still assisting.

12. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of things. Wys' nice pass to Banini was from the ground at the top of the "D." It is shown at the very beginning of the clip below. If you blink you will miss the kick.

Also, I was looking to make an excursion to the DC area later this spring or summer and discovered-

On the following Saturdays: May 30, June 6, Aug 1, the Spirit play at 7 pm at the Soccerplex AND the DC United play at the same time at RFK.

In 2010, I went to a Freedom / DC United double header at RFK - it was great. I guess neither the Spirit nor the DC United saw any advantage of doing a double header in 2015.

The Spirit are home on 7/25 and DC United are home on 7/26, so I may shoot for that weekend.

13. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Too often, Spirit games are scheduled not just for the same day or similar time, but the exact same time. Unfortunately for the Spirit, my bad team of choice is United. It makes no sense to schedule so many conflicts with an organization they should be working with.

14. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both the WUSA and WPS Freedom had multiple double-headers with DC United. The Spirit have yet to emulate them even once. I don't know where the responsibility for scheduling lies.

15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Neither front office is what it used to be...

16. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Will anyone from here be at the game on Saturday?

I'm planning on making the 2.5 drive down there as part of my plan to attend more NWSL matches. It's going to be a bit difficult to attend a game in which I'm not 100% invested in either team but oh well. I may find my self at some point cheering for the Spirit (mainly because of Lohman and her Independence roots).

17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I might be! I have a flex pack instead of season tickets this year, so I need to pick those up at some point, and home opener is always a nice event. Just gotta find a way to get there. X-D

18. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Hmm, I haven't bought my tickets yet lol. Trying to do that today. The last time I bought tickets for the section right below the media box and apparently only quiet folks sit over there and they didn't take too kindly with me making a lot of noise. Maybe this time I'll get my seats by the supporter's section

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  19. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    I like your enthusiasm

Blaze20 repped this.
  20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I'll be at the DC United game...

21. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    C'mon I'm trying. I'm not going to disrespect the badge because the next think you know Harvey will be voting me off the Island.

At least I'm not going to be wearing one of these...
    upload_2015-4-16_10-15-52.png

upload_2015-4-16_10-16-8.png

22. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Boo

lunatica repped this.
  23. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    So general admission flex pack it is! #PackThePlex

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  24. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Anybody with some more insider knowledge of the Spirit know what's going on with Caprice Dydasco? It's been 3 games now and she hasn't even played a minute. The first week I figured she might still be getting over the injury, but she hasn't been listed on the injury report, and you'd think she would've if she was out for 3 weeks.

If Washington doesn't want to play her, I know of a team in the middle of the country that could use some help at left back...

Myrtle repped this.
  25. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    I was actually wondering the same thing today. Maybe @StarCityFan could find out something but they won't play at home until May 16th. I'd probably prefer to see her play for another team than to sit on the Spirit's bench. Parsons spoke highly of her during preseason so maybe she's not 100% yet?