Washington Post:Goff: For Cherundolo, Success Isn't Lost in Translation

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by seahawkdad, Dec 31, 2005.

1. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steve Goff, enjoying Hamburg's great weather, has written a piece on Steve Churudolo in today's Washington Post. In putting the story together Goff interviewed Cherundolo, Keller, Arena and Hannover's manager, Kaenzig.

And, the story, with picture, ran on the front page of the sports section:

[​IMG]

2. kinstlinger

kinstlinger Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Baltimore
    Great piece. Reminds me how overshadowed 'Dolo is when compared to others.

3. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Nice article by Goff.

Certainly worth the read.

4. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool. I really like that it's on the front page of the sports section.

5. onlyifvickplayedsocr

Dec 30, 2004
    I didn't realize he was only 5'6"? Wow, he seems bigger I guess.

6. forza inter

forza inter Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Middletown, ct
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nice read. great shot on the cover page!

i do think dolo is a great player and a good role model professional on the field. gotta love that hes so small too.

forza inter

7. The Blind Pig

The Blind Pig Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Section 8

a lot of those guys are tiny

frankie is taller (and bigger) than landon

we all think of frankie as small, but few recall quite how small landon is

8. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    Another great article by Goff.
    I dug Cherundolo's comments on acclimation.

9. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish the LA Times had the balls to post some of these articles

10. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They only have one soccer writer and he is terrible and old. Graham Jones cannot bridge the gap between the domestic game and the European one. He lacks Goff's nuance and ability to talk positively about other leagues but not compare MLS (and therefore denigrate) to it. What blows my mind is that there is a tremendous and educated soccer fan base in Los Angeles, from the Brits and Irish to the Latino. Why can't we have a writer with a local heart but a global view?

james

11. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also note that Goff filed that story from Germany. Not only does The Post print the stories, they fly Goff to where the story is taking place.

We in DC are very fortunate.

12. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I guess DC has a more "english speaking" soccer fanbase than LA has. Nothing bad about Galaxy having more hispanic fans but the team is a ghost out here when it comes to the english media. Heck they give the LA Kings more respect yet nobody in LA cares about hockey. So much politics when it comes to soccer in the states.

13. DCSharksFC

DCSharksFC Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Virginia Tech
    i've seen a few LA Kings games on Center ICE, and that place is sold out every nite

also, you don't have an NFL team that sucked so much people had to find better news to look for in the sports section, you got USC and Reggie Bush, i'd make 10 pages out to Reggie Bush, hell i'd reprint stories just for fans to read, again and again

as for your comment on hispanics, with DCU's success, it just worked out, freddy adu, some championships, large attendance, 'hey where are there so many yellow seats at jack kent cooke stadium? they're at the dcu game!' seriously, we made news, that non-hispanics noticed

14. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Certainly worth the 35 cents I paid for the print edition this morning.

Happy New Year everyone. Don't drink and drive.

15. Beantowner

Beantowner Member

Aug 19, 2005
    HK / Shanghai / NY
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish more Yanks had the balls, adaptability, and personal motivation to compete internationally and, consequently, to be the topic of these articles. Major kudos to Cherundolo and the writer.

16. Fulham Fan

Fulham Fan New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Bay Area
    I wish the players would just learn a second language and stop banging their heads trying to get into the Premiership. Go somewhere else and get your EU eligibility.

Congratulations to Cherundolo.

17. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    I'm not positive, but I think this story was done at the same time as the World Cup draw and only let out yesterday.

I could be wrong but I believe this was the case.

18. Dolo

Dolo New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Germany
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Parts of the story were done at the same time as the World Cup draw and parts of the story were done while Steven was on vacation in San Diego last week.
    Great story. :cool:

19. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My only (quite minor) quibble with the piece is the caption on the picture
    "Despite limited success with the national team, to date, American Steve Cherundolo has made a name for himself as a premier right back playing in Germany's top league. (Julian Finney - Getty Images) "

How does one define limited success? I for one think that... although 'Dolo had been questioned quite often in the NT picture, has come into his own lately (pre-injury) and now is no doubt #1 at RB.... To me, the act of getting better overcoming the criticisms, and gaining both coaches (club and country's) favor in terms of making the first -starting team- is success in itself.... Had he been up and down, and way inconsistent... i'd understand, but i guess in my view... 'Dolo has become quite good and steady for club and the NT...

BTW... i know i'm making a big deal out of nothing... Just had to point this "issue" out... :)

20. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    dead on the money. What ever happened to the pioneering spirit? Obviously Cherundolo has it.

21. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    While this may be true, as someone who knows the tendecies of the media and the desire of editors/reporters to pick up stories, people (i mean the public) have to make things an issue. If we all wanted coverage of the Men's College Final Four, the only way we'd get some local coverage is if we yapped/complained/campagined for it.

If you REALLY want better/more soccer coverage in the LA Times, or anywhere for that matter you have 2 options:

A) Write numerous hand-written letters to the sports editor. Demand more/better soccer coverage. Ask how come there have been any articles about the upcoming friendlies in CA? Tell the editor you want your soccer info, and you want it NOW! or you cancel your suscription (Ed.'s note: having a paid suscription might be clutch here.)

B) Sponsor soccer sections on your local TV, Radio, and newspapers. For example this week's Yanks Abroad is brought to you by Swippy's DryCleaners... (Ed.'s note: having some serious cash might be clutch here.)

Now you know a peice of why reporters won't take a story or an editor won't assign a story.
    A: Public demand is just too demanding too ignore
    B:Sponsors demand it.

Yeah, to varying degrees this is journalism.

22. 2-0 Baby

2-0 Baby New Member

Jun 9, 2004
    CO
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reason for his "limited success" on the national team is Bruce and Bruce alone. He, for some reason, ignored Steve for quite sometime. Steve persevered on both fronts, club and country, and has now cemented a place on both teams. Well done. It's awesome to see him with the armband. That right there proves what he's accomplished. And he's only 26. He should be around for at least one more WC!

On a side note, I have some friends that saw him when he was at UP and they said he was hands-down the best guy on the field. He was playing sweeper back then, according to them, and they said his composure on the ball was what really stood out. They, obviously, are decent scouts.

23. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has nothing to do with the fact that he was injured before the last World Cup finals and couldn't play? Or was that BA's fault? Or his injury in the Gold Cup this summer?

Dolo has had limited success as his play with the National team has been limited mainly to qualifiers and he has not yet played a major role in accomplishing something in a tournament final like he will this summer -- knock on wood.

24. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    also at the end of teh semifinals, arena left cherundolo in germany to concentrate on his club play...

don't forget arena communicates with guys to explain the logic behind his moves...

it's NOT arena dislikes cherundolo, but rather having hiom play reguarly in bundesliga was more beneficial than mop-up duty in conaccaf

25. 2-0 Baby

2-0 Baby New Member

Jun 9, 2004
    CO
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good points all around, but there was a time when Hejduk was preferred to Cherundulo. Early in this qualifying cycle included...pre-Hex.

I don't think Bruce was entirely sold on Steve for awhile. He was put off by his lack of size, which is mentioned in the article. He was injured in Olympic qualifying, but still didn't appear for a couple of years even while starting at Hannover. In Bruce's mind the jury was still out. I'm glad Steve's performance in the Hex made Bruce come to his senses. Steve wasn't automatic first choice until he had the assist in the T&T qualifier to GAM.

That's how I remember it anyway. In fact I remember some clamoring on these boards for Steve to be made an automatic starter. And I haven't been on these boards for that long...