Washington Post Article: "Officials Say Argentine is in their Plans"

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by kirchhausen, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last player-coach deal around here didn't pan out so well. :rolleyes:

2. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fassione = left back/left center-back, spent last 6 months with CD Linares (Spanish 2nd Division). Does not fit Goff's description of player who just finished playing in Argie 2nd division (although playing in Spain shows that the guy is willingly to play outside of Argentina)

Verino = left back/left center-back, spent 2004 Apertura loaned by SL to San Miguel (Argie 3rd Division) and loaned for the 2005 Clausura to Club Atletico Union de Sante Fe (Argie 2nd Division). Does not fit Goff's description of player who had previously played in Argie 1st division (although he does fit description of SL player loaned to a 2nd division team in the past season)

Both players are not in SL's plans for the upcoming season although I imagine that SL would get some sort of fee if they sign elsewhere (I do not believe that the term "free transfer" is part of the Argie player agent vocabulary). Neither one of them has made much of a mark at the pro level.

3. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Annual August Argie Acquisition
    I spent a little time this morning researching this one. Although no player seems to completely fit the bill as the DC target, here is what I uncovered:

Clues (in order of known facts vs. speculation):
    a) Argentine
    b) Under 25
    c) Spent time in Argie 1st Division but most recently played in 2nd Division (probably the National B Division which is higher than the First B Division)
    d) Defender, likely a center-back from all indications
    e) Transfer fee has to be reasonable (i.e. DC can not compete with Spanish or Italian clubs which is where most good young Argies go although Corinthians of Brazil has joined the mix acquiring Tevez and Mascherino)
    f) Likely to have some ties to San Lorenzo – team with which DC has an informal relationship (based on the fact that SL seems to place a decent number of players on the Argie U17 and U20 teams, DC recognizes that their youth system must be doing something right)

1. San Lorenzo Defenders:
    There are no names which really stand out as possibilities here as anyone on the current roster was not playing in the 2nd Division and thus should be ruled out as a DC option. In addition, most players are ruled out for other reasons as well:
    a) being Argentine (rules out Celso Esquivel (Paraguay) and Killian Virviescas))
    b) being under 25 (rules out Gabriel Loeschbor, Hernan Gonzalez, Aldo Paredes, and Ariel Pereya)
    c) being too expensive (rules out Argie U20 players like Walter Garcia and Jonathan Bottinelli)

Other young defenders on the SL roster who fit the DC budget but were not playing in the 2nd division this season include Leandro Alvarez (just released by SL). Santiago Hoyos (returned to Lanus after being on loan to SL), Hernan Mattiuzzo (returning to SL but they are looking to loan him out in next season), Juan Patrone, and Pablo Alvarado (last two players did not play at all this season – probably just played reserve games).

There are B Division defenders who have San Lorenzo ties who have either been loaned to B Division teams or sold to them with San Lorenzo probably having a say in any transfer as well as collecting a % of the transfer fee. The problem with all of these players is that they have not played in the Argie 1st Division – only SL action that they ever saw was likely with their Youth/Reserve teams (i.e. Argie 5th – 8th Divisons). This list includes:

Patricio Grgona (El Porvenir) [23] – center-back who played 18 games this past season

Claudio Varino (Union) [21]– left-back/center-back who played 3 games after starting the season with San Miguel (C Division)

Ivan Fassione (CD Linares – Spain B Division) - left-back/center-back who just returned from a loan playing in Spain – did not play in Argie 2nd division this season

2. Other non-SL Defenders:
    Matias Villavicencio – Huracan (B Division) [23]: if I had to pick a favorite out of the all of possible players, it would be him since:
    • He has played 27 games in the 1st division with Independiente having first played for them in the 2001 Apertura when he was 20
    • On that team, he played with Christian Gomez in the 2002 Apertura (Fall season) and 2003 Clausura (Spring season)
    • He plays center-back (5’11” 175 lbs.)
    • For the 2004 Apertura, he joined Huracan in the B Division (one of the bigger name clubs in that division). His stats included 7 games and 2 goals in the 2004 Apertura and 8 games and 0 goals in the 2005 Apertura with some injuries also in the mix.
    • In the Fall of 2004 (when Villavicencio joined the team), DC scouted Huracan which is where they spotted 2005 DC pre-season trialist Marcelo Kobistyj, who was working out with Huracan after returning from a season playing in Spain with Real Cartegena. Kobistyj had played with Huracan prior to his stint in Spain.

Huracan finished high enough in the B Division to be involved in the Promotion/Relegation playoffs with the bottom 1st Division teams but their regular seaon was done when KPN visited two weeks ago. They lost the home leg of their 1st playoff match so they are not likely to get promoted. If Huracan stays in the B Division, they may be more likely to sell players.

Other players who fit the DC bill (U25 Argie playing in 2nd Division with 1st Division experience) are center-backs Luciano Precone (Chacarita Jrs. – where ex-Metro stiff Juan Forchetti plays) and Victor Soto (Nueva Chicago – another club with whom Christian Gomez played). A few other players who somewhat fit the DC description but are mainly outside backs include Christian Cellay (Huracan), Nelson Benitez (Tallares), Facundo Erpen (Tallares), Carlos Araujo (Rafaela), and Marcelo Mosset (Union).

Bottom line – KPN found a gem when they acquired unheralded (by our terms) Christian Gomez last year even though he was a #10 in the Argie 1st Division. The main differences in this year’s AAAA and Gomez is that Gomez was a veteran player, he was playing 1st Division soccer at the time of transfer and DC had more $ in order to acquire him. Whoever we acquire this summer (Villavicencio is my current pick), I think that we can trust KPN to get us a solid player – I just do not think that we will be getting an impact player like Gomez.

4. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Gomez during the chat did say that he had a player in mind, which he likely knew/played with, that he would try ot bring to DC, maybe it is Villavicencio since they did play together.

5. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gomez seemed to have a few responses in which something got lost in the translation:

Martin from Washington, D.C.
    Are there any players that you would like DC United to bring in from Argentina? Any players that are looking to come from Argentina?
    Christian Gómez
    Yes, I like some of them. There are some players in Argentina who are going to a good level now. I will bring maybe some defender which is the position we have to improve right now. It will be a reeinforcement for our back line.

I guess this the response to which you are refering in terms of Gomez possibly knowing the AAAA.

Roberto Urrieta from Los Angeles
    I'm really happy that you play for MLS and that you represent Argentina with your great play. I've always been a United fan and have all the jerseys but now that the Chivas are here, would you ever like to play for them?
    Christian Gómez
    Since Chivas got to L.A., it means a lot for the people in L.A. because there are a lot of Mexicans there. I would like play for both Galaxy and even Chivas. They bring to lots of people to the stadium and they are both great teams. It just happens this year that Chivas USA is not doing great but they will reenforce the team with guys from Mexico and they will get better.

When I read this response, I was not sure what I could believe in this entire chat....Gomez wanting to play for the Galaxy and Chivas....surely the translator f-ed this one up.

6. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Contuining with the latest guess as to DC's AAAA (until Kasper gives Goff a few more clues which will surely lead us on another chase for the player):

Earlier today, Villavicencio's team (Huracan) got knocked out of the Promotion playoffs to the 1st Division, which means that he may be more prone to be sold. I believe that he was on loan this year from Independiente (1st Division) - if Huracan got promoted, Villavicencio would have probably been more prone to stay with them.

Here are some stats on Villavicencio:
    5'11" 175 lbs. - 9/18/81

Independiente [1st Division - 19 games per season]
    Apertura 2001 - 2 games 0 goals
    Clausura 2002 - 16 games 0 goals
    Apertura 2002 - 4 games 0 goals
    Clausura 2003 - 3 games 0 goals
    Apertura 2003 - 2 games 0 goals
    Clausura 2004 - 0 games 0 goals

Club Atletico Huracan [National B - 2nd Division - 19 games per season]
    Apertura 2004 - 7 games 2 goals
    Clausura 2005 - 8 games 0 goals

Profile on AFA:
    http://www2.afa.uolsinectis.com.ar/...quipos/Jugadores.htm?Op=202&Cod_Jugador=25284

On a side note, I did not see any defender that played with San Lorenzo over the past few years who played in the B Division this past season. I am not sure that this year's AAAA has San Lorenzo ties.

7. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Precone probably best fits the DC description of a getting a center-back with size (along with meeting all of the other clues). Here is the skinny on him:

Luciano Precone - Chacarita Juniors
    6'1" 172 lbs 2/26/81

1st Division [Premier Division](Chacarita)
    Apertura 2000 - 6 games 0 goals
    Clausura 2001 - 1 game 0 goals
    Apertura 2001 - 8 games 0 goals
    Clausura 2002 - 12 games 0 goals
    Apertura 2002 - 0 games 0 goals
    Clausura 2003 - 6 games 0 goals
    Apertura 2003 - 2 games 0 goals
    Clausura 2004 - 14 games 1 goal
    Totals 49 games 1 goal

2nd Division [National B] (Chacarita)
    Apertura 2004 - 12 games 0 goals
    Clausura 2005 - 5 games 0 goals
    Total 17 games 0 goals

http://www.afa.org.ar/Torneos_Locales/Nacional_B/Equipos/Jugadores.htm?Op=202&Cod_Jugador=292

Chacarita Juniors is actually in a free fall of sorts. In the 2004 Clausura, they played in the 1st Division and then were relegated. One year later, they are playing in the relegation playoffs (with the potential to fall from the National B Division to the First B Division). In other words, they may be looking to sell players. The team does have some recent MLS ties (other than being the current team for ex-Metro stiffs Forchetti and Galvan). RSL's Sergio Flores (Utah native) played in their youth system before joining RSL.

So in terms of this week's DC United AAAA candidates, the top choices are:
    * Matias Villavicencio [Huracan]
    * Luciano Precone [Chacarita Juniors]

Villavicencio seems to have played with teams that have more links to other DC Argie trips in terms of scouting players (i.e. Gomez, Kobistyj) - Precone has the height edge (6'1" vs. 5'11") that DC probably wants and plays for a team that is probably more in dire straits to perhaps be in a selling mode of its players.

8. NYAustinite

NYAustinite Member

May 9, 2005
    LIC
    I posted this on another thread, but since you guys seem to have every Argentine stat at your fingertips, I'll ask here - who is this Erpen guy we're getting? I only saw his named mentioned once on this thread, but I'm guessing you guys know something about him.

9. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As usual, Zman Gunner's two posts about him in the thread about him are useful.

10. NYAustinite

NYAustinite Member

May 9, 2005
    LIC
    Yes, I see it now. Are you following me? It's creeping me out a bit, despite the fact that I have always wanted my own stalker.

11. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I'm procrastinating. Thank you for the nudge back towards work. Sigh.

12. NYAustinite

NYAustinite Member

May 9, 2005
    LIC
    Ahhh, don't be like that. C'mon back and stalk me some more. I'm at work and not working too, you know.