Wash Post 9/27: Amman Retires

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by eltico, Sep 27, 2002.

1. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
  2. Quiet Beast

Quiet Beast New Member

Feb 8, 2002
    JMU via Md.
    That's a lot of $$$$$$

3. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ian Bishop, DC United.
    DC United, Ian Bishop.

4. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Please. No.

What's he playing in these days, the Welsh league?

-----

Good Luck Mike, it's a tough way for your career to end.

5. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    Good luck, Mike. It was always good seeing you on the field and at the tailgates. I hate to see you leave the game this way. Good luck.

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Do you honestly think that MLS is going to sign Bishop? He sued MLS!

But really, that's not what this thread is about ...

Ammann's case is truly unfortunate. I feel bad for him. That's not the way to end your playing days.

I wish him well.

7. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a surprise. I saw him pregame earlier in the season and the outlook was not promising. Good luck to him. :(

This is step one in the offseason changes. $125K should take care of most of the raises of the players deserving of one. Next step is getting Lassiter, Zambrano and a few others to move on and free up a little more money.

8. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I saw him at the Columbia Road street festival sometime after the surgeries, and he showed me the scars, not a pretty sight.

It hurt to see that he could not pick up his two beautiful baby daughters.

I wish him the best of luck in his recovery.

9. SoccerEsq

SoccerEsq Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Maryland SoccerPlexish
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This, not the salary cap, is real life and it's sad.

Good luck, Mike

10. Hezbolt

Hezbolt New Member

Jun 4, 2001
    La Norte
    Best of luck Mike, sorry to see you have to go out this way. Hope you have a successful recovery.

11. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    Maybe my favorite 'keeper Mark Simpson will be coaxed out of retirement ;)

Seriously, I hope Ammann recovers from this. Like someone said earlier, it has to hurt that he cannot even pick up his kids.

Bill-DC

12. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GWS, Mike!

Everyone that I've talked to over the past season (and that is a LOT of fans) universally wished/prayed for your full recovery. We know you are hurting and it saddens us to know that you've had to retire in such a manner. You'll be pleased to know that the ladies always said (verbally and with body language) how very pleased they were to meet you, injuries and all!

You proudly wore the black and red and managed to scrub off the metrostink (gratuitous fan gig), so you'll always have a home in our hearts and at our gatherings.

Drop by the Barra/Nest and/or tailgates anytime. We hope you'll be settling in the DC area.

Always look on the bright side of life! ;)

GM

oh yeah -- get well soon!

13. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Mike Amman, out of his own pocket (b/c MLS couldn't afford to pay), bought his own release from his contract with Charlton Athletic so he could come to MLS and take a pay cut. That's b/c he believed in US Soccer and wanted to help the league succeed.

He's always given his best, was the archetype of a keeper who isn't a great pure shot stopper but knows his position, plays smart, is positioned well, prepares well. If he was healthy, he'd make someone a heck of a GK coach.

Best wishes to you Mike and I hope you make a complete recovery. I'm only sorry that (a) it had to end this way and (b) DC United fans didn't get to see you at your athletic best.

14. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [obsequious mode]

Good on 'ya, Joe W. I'd forgotten that bit. We're fortunate to have posters on this board with such institutional memories (not to mention insight)!

[/obsequious mode]

Yet another reason to give thanks to Mike!

15. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Mike, if you read this, I hope you get well soon. We need another drummer in La Norte :)

And more importantly, you need to pick up your kids.

Sachin

16. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Godspeed and good luck to Mike. Hope to see him juggling those kids some day.

17. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    Good luck, Mike and get well.

18. saroccer

saroccer New Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Atl/Kabul
    Good luck and get well soon.

19. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best of luck, Mike. I hope financially lucrative opportunities come your way.

20. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    It's amazing how fast everyone forgets all the dirty comments he had about DC United when he was traded to us for Richie Williams. Things like he hated the team, would never play here, etc.

While I wish him the best as a person, and hope he has a full and speedy recovery, I will not miss him in the nets for our team. Even with a pay raise Rimando will be cheaper and much better in my opinion.

Like I said, I'm hoping for a full recovery but definitely not losing sleep over him being off of our roster.

21. mdesimone1

mdesimone1 New Member

Jul 26, 2000
    California
    Mike, you are the man. I always loved watching you play. Good luck with everything- I will always remember you.

22. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Best of luck Mike.You deserve all the best. The coupple times we've met you showed me you were a stand up kinda guy. Once again, all the best to you and your family.

23. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mike's an intense guy, and no one has let the four letter words fly in such an Earl Weaver-esque way as Amman. I felt so bad for the guy when he'd get hung out to dry, and he'd get up yelling, pumping his fist, and giving everyone an education.

Rimando may be more athletic, but Amman has been the most colorful of our keepers to date.

Good luck Mike.

24. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    I put it all behind and forgot about it. His career was cut short due to injuries to the point he can't even lift up his kids. That's sad and that's why I feel bad for him. I do wish him and his family well and hope he recovers from these injuries.

Bill

25. etcheverrito

etcheverrito New Member

Jun 12, 2001
    the heartland of NOV
    good riddance...
    he seemed to hold a bud bottle just fine the few times I saw him during the year...what a chumP!!