was WUSA a good/ bad thing?

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by sexysadie, Oct 19, 2003.

1. sexysadie

sexysadie Red Card

Sep 29, 2003
    somewhere on earth
    I was concerned when WUSA started to see the reality that foreign players came up to the surface as the best player week in & week out fom Pichon, Prinz, Meinert to Milgren it was kinda like we were creating monsters who will be back to hunt us in the future, my concern happened when we lost to Germany (w/ alot of former WUSA players) in the semi, this made me think if WUSA is a good solution to the future of women soccer in this country and i started comparing it w/ the recidency camp that we used to do in the past where we won two WC and 1 gold olympic, so probably the folding of the league is the good thing for USW soccer, with the recidency camp our strenght won't be revealed to our opponents and they will have no clue of what kinda team we have (just like in the past)

2. Tomahawk

Tomahawk Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Astral Plane
    A "head-in-the-sand" mentality won't get the US to win again. You know that.

The foreign players were that good before they came to the US - we just gave them a larger showcase. They would still be good without the WUSA.

Let's look at the positive side: If the WUSA didn't exist, would the national team have looked the same? Thinka about the players who would not have been on the team if they didn't get a chance to showcase themselsves week to week, and make the national team staff aware of them.

A short list of players who would not have been on the team/pool if not for WUSA:
    Wambach, Boxx, Bivens & Hucles.

I also believe that Scurry would have been written off if she wasn't given the chance to get her game back every week, as well as recover her fitness.

3. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Maren Meinert

You make some very good points Tomahawk . Of the foreign players named by sexysadie only Maren Meinert might not have been playing at a high level in this WC if the WUSA hadn't been around the past two seasons. I believe the only reason why Maren continued to play club soccer after retiring from the German NT in 2001 was that she wanted to win a championship playing for the Breakers.

Maren wasn't able to win the Founders Cup this year, but Boston did win the trophy for the best regular season record and Maren was also named as the 2003 WUSA MVP and MVP of the 2003 WUSA All-Star game in Cary. I feel very priviledged that I got to meet Maren this past season and was able to congratulate her personally right after the WUSA All-Star game, the victory in San Jose in the Breakers last regular season game, and up in Carson only a few hours after Germany had won the World Cup. :cool:

4. sexysadie

sexysadie Red Card

Sep 29, 2003
    somewhere on earth
    professionalism in the college

I think college is an alternate to the league just like it has ever been and will always be the right place to develop players, by the way can we professionalize the college's soccer ? why not, it something for the USSF to think about...

5. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Re: professionalism in the college

Professionalize the college game? That's a contradiction.

6. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Re: Re: professionalism in the college

Why not? The sports of American Football and Basketball have been and are being played by players that are professional in everything but name.

EVERY player on a sports scholarship is being paid for their services so sports that offer scholarships are professional sports. This already includes soccer.

In fact, in soccer, a players scholarship amount can be increased or decreased based or performance, the height of professionalism. Pay for play is the rule in NCAA athletics, not the exception.

Of course the training and number of games is still so poor in college soccer that no real development takes place. This is why, before the WUSA, players were almost always identified as National team prospects before college. Very few improved in college enough to come on to the scene later.

The MLS has shown that many players do develop after college and the WUSA was well on its way to proving the same. Now, unless something happens, the National team pool in the US will drop in both numbers and quality.

College is just not a good environment for player development. Too few games and even the good teams play teams that are horrible too often. Most top college programs are just like the US National team in that way. The competition is just too poor most of the time.

College is not a good training ground for top soccer players even though a lot of the players are already pros.

We NEED a top flight women's soccer league in this country unless we want to slip to fourth, fifth or lower in the world and hang there for the next decade at least.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    I think it was good for: 1. The game of soccer in the US. 2. Little girls the world over. 3. Of course the USWNT.

Not only do millions of girls participate in soccer in this country but they become fans of the SPORT and spend money on it and it's sponsors. What's good for women's soccer in this country is good for MEN's soccer in this country.

I saw "Bend it like Beckham" last week and what struck me was that the goal of the girls was to come to America and have a chance to play in the WUSA. Mia Hamm was an Idol to these girls who were English. It struck me that Mia was not only a role model to American girls bit to girls all over the world. They wanted to play here as our boys wish to play in Europe.

I think we had the best players in the WWC, I think that Heinrich's blew it and took the USWNT program back a few years with her kick and chase system. AND I think some of the veterans were allowed to hang around too long. Younger players should have been brought in after the last Olympics. Thw WUSA gave April a huge supply of great players, she just didn't use them. No other country has the talent pool that the USWNT does.

I hope that women's professional soccer finds a place in the US.

8. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Re: Re: Re: professionalism in the college

Then let's keep it that way. You're only focused on two sports. The entire spectrum of college sports is filled with athletes who are neither rich nor privileged because of the sports in which they participate. So, really, I honestly don't know what you're talking about.

That's like saying there's not much traffic on the road even though the cars around me are bumper to bumper. Either our college players are talented because of the college game or they're not, because I don't see much else to credit.

9. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Re: Re: Re: Re: professionalism in the college

They are talented because the youth programs developed their talents not because of anything that happens in college.

Players do not develop in college unless they also play in the National program.

Even top college coaches, like Anson Dorance, admit that the colleges play too short a season and too few good teams to develop.

In fact the level of play for a lot of talented youth players seems to drop during their college years without a lot of outside play.

How many players have been out of the national picture at 18 and played nothing but college and then were suddenly good enough for national play? I cannot think of even one.

As far as professionalism: ANY player that gets a sports scholarship is professional. They may not be paid much or even in money but they are getting paid to play and that is professional.

10. Tomahawk

Tomahawk Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Astral Plane
    College just isn't competitive enough everyday to be a training ground/alternative for the league to develop players at the highest level. Also what is the alternative for post college players, since that is the majority of the USWNT player pool?

There are too many college teams and the best players will be/are dispersed among all those teams. To be the best, you have to play and train EVERYDAY, (not once in a while), against/with the best. Just because you can play in college, (which is a major achievement), does not mean you can play at national team level.

Why did Abby Wambach become the dominant force that she is? She trained everyday with the Freedom, and then did additional training after practice with whoever would stick around - Hamm & Mullinix etc...

If any US based league doesn't start up again, expect to see the best players go overseas.

and I agree - our team was outcoached in the WWC. Kick & Run is not an effective/efficient use of the talent at her fingertips.

11. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Actually, what I would expect to see is that those that go overseas become the best. That is the play in the overseas leagues will make those that go better and those that don't often will not imporve.

12. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    We will see the benefit of WUSA after the next Olympics. A majority of the founders will retire and the USWNT will be opened up to much needed new talent. Instead of college players filling in the gaps, we will have college players plus proven pros like Mitts, Boxx, Bivens etc.. I think that this is a good thing in the long run. The current USWNT has a mentality that the spots on the team belong to them and not to the country. No coach has had the nerve to challenge them or bench players that deserve it. This is the same problem that the USMNT had around the time of WC 1998 that exploded when Sampson challenged Harkes. It destroyed the team for that tournament but opened the door for new players to contribute in WC02. The current lady's coach needs to shake the team up now so the the Olympics can give players experience in the run up to WC 2007. I think the former WUSA players will rise to the occasion and shine.
    Regarding the German National Team and their players in WUSA. Keep in mind that players like Prinz and Jones were awesome in WC99 and that is how they earned WUSA's attention and grabbed a spot in the league.

13. socroo1234

socroo1234 New Member

Nov 2, 2003
    well i think if there was more money put to soccer, things would have been better, and if basketball, football, werent top sports, there would be some attendance at the games, that would help of course

14. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    I don't know if we'll see the full benefit of WUSA following the Olympics.

It apepars to me ceratin players get targetted real early as the crop for U-17, U-19 levels...

And these people are expected to progress to the U-20, U-23 and full gteam levels...

So, it's all about getting the call into a camp.

Personally, past performance and being a part of the cliche can get you a long ways.

Given two players of comparable skill, the one that's got the past pedigree always gets the nod.

The hope is some form of week in and week out league will exist, a venue for those on the outside to break throw the door and get a real shot.

If not, then it's politics of old...and those with a privelged connection get a far better look than those who don't.