Was the Graziani trade worth it?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by dutchboy, Sep 1, 2002.

1. dutchboy

dutchboy New Member

Jul 7, 2002
    San Jose
    Gosh, another away loss. Sometimes I wonder if we should have kept Cerritos, at least he was able to handle the ball in traffic for a time to get our midfielders forward. Our team needs to push up more because when we do get the ball forward, it seems like Donovan and Graziani are the only ones up front by themselves. We need someone who is on the same page as Landon.

2. DouginSJ

DouginSJ New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    San Jose, CA USA
    Cerritos sucks now, the quality of the league has left him behind. The trade for Graz was absolutely worth it.

3. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    Cerritos is crap, we ditched that guy just in time. Its our defense we need to be worrying about. Between Donovan, Graz and Dero, goal scoring is not a problem.

4. chales

chales Member

May 21, 2001
    Sunnyvale
    I would like to disagree here. On the road, our attack is NOT organized. The chances we got were breaks or great individual effort. I remember two plays in the game that we actually had an attack.

At home, we can attack. Away, we can't.

5. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    I would be more concerned about our attack if we had gotten shut out yesterday, but Dovovans 2 goals (luck, skill, team effort, whatever) had us up by a point., then we gave away 3 goals. that road win was in the bag had it not been for the defense falling apart.

6. SJEarthquakes

SJEarthquakes New Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Boston Area
    Of course it was worth it. Graz is great, and he made up for LD's absence during the WC. I was very happy when SJ traded Cerritos for Graz.

7. megs2

megs2 New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Missouri
    I don't think graz is that good, it seems like most of his goals are given to him and he whines. Bring back Cerritos!!

8. dutchboy

dutchboy New Member

Jul 7, 2002
    San Jose
    I totally agree with megs2, most of his goals are made with the ball on a silver platter, he does whine too much but actually I agree with him most of the time because the MLS refs are horrible. I really wouldn't say Cerritos is crap because when he was with us, he was on the leader board of MLS. Yes, so is Graziani but something is just different about him where I just don't see him making decent moves around anyone, Landon is just so good at feeding the ball where it needs to be all he really needs to do is tap it in. A lot of his shots are over or around the goal.

9. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    Megs, and Dutchboy you two need to have your heads examined. Put these two players side by side this season and look at the stats. One is having a stellar season, the other a crap season if you can't figure out which is which you need help. Please tell me why we need Cerritos back, and don't go on about whining and poaching because they are both guilty of that.

10. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Cerritos is crap...
    Im happy when Dallas brings him on against us because that secures the win for us..
    Thank god Graz is here..
    L-Do gets his goals handed on a silver platter (From Graz).. Graz's goals are beautiful (See: Last home game vs. Dallas)..

11. megs2

megs2 New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Missouri
    I'll admit that Graz has a nice finish and a good shot, but to me, it seems like more than half of his goals are given to him. Sometimes, I like to see forwards who produce for themselves. I just happen to be a bigger fan of Cerritos than Graz.

12. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now, it's a steal for the Quakes hands down.

Cerritos according to one of the local reporters here is unhappy in Dallas and wants out. I don't follow the Dallas team, but based on what I've read he's been used mostly as a supersub.

Graziani hasn't scored in the past few games, but with pure striker instincts he's gotten the job done, though he's somewhat disappeared for the moment in the scoring sheet. For most of this season he's been a candidate for MVP especially in the World Cup stretch, though he's been overtaken by, ahem, Carlos Ruiz of LA especially since he's gotten the job done for his team. :eek:

The switch was designed to make a short term impact for both teams--no prospects involved. On paper the Quakes have the edge.

13. DouginSJ

DouginSJ New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    San Jose, CA USA
    Graz may get his goals "handed to him on a silver platter" -- but he's still getting them. For whatever reason, Cerritos isn't (and hasn't for a few seasons). At the end of the game, the goals go in the books, however they're scored, however pretty or ugly they are.

14. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Graz rules

I can't even believe we're having this discussion.

15. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think your obsession of ragging on the Landon girls has got the best of you.

16. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Graziani is a pure goal scorer who has learned not to whine too much... striker instincts...

Landon is a offensive player who knows the play well ahead of time and could either shoot or set up his teammates...

It's been discussed and dissected here and there...

17. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Cerritos is the biggest poacher(silver platter) in MLS since his buddy Diaz Arce left. Graziani can poach and create. Megs and Dutchboy, our problem is in the Midfield. (Russell and Lagos)

18. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    There was an excellent article on this trade in the Ft Worth Star-Telegram recently. The jist of it was that both teams profited immensely.

SJ got Graziani who is clearly the better forward, in fact top 5 in scoring every year he's been in the league. Enough said.

Dallas got Cerritos who provides depth and competition at forward, but trading Graziani opened up a foreign slot which the Burn filled with Steve Morrow. Additionally SJ sent a 2nd round pick with Cerritos. That pick was sent to Chicago for future considerations shortly after. Shortly after that, the Burn called in the future considerations to get one of Chicago's discovery picks in order to sign Ronnie O'brien. So in effect, the Burn traded Graziani for Cerritos, Morrow and O'brien. Not a bad return on a disgruntled team cancer. In fact, there's no doubt that this trade is the reason Dallas has improved enough to be nipping at SJ's heels for the supporters shield. If SJ hadn't improved by the trade as well, we would have overtaken you by now.

Both teams made out like bandits on this one. We need to trade more often.

19. X.F.S.

X.F.S. New Member

May 24, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    Whoa, the man knows his soccer. Cerritos was great then went downhill in 2000. His style changed -- less forward attack, more backpasses -- and he hasn't been dangerous since. Russell and Lagos? Arg! Russell needs to go to goal not to the corner. Lagos needs to stop screwing around with Barrett in the corner and stop chipping crosses from the 18 but rather shoot from there. He has a nice move to the middle but rarely pulls the trigger afterwards.

Whoa, the man (or woman) knows his/her MLS transactions. Now looks like a wash to me.

20. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great post Jambon. I wasn't aware of all the goodies Dallas got along with Ronald.

21. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    how about Lagos and Russell for Vaca and/or Martinez?

:D

22. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Cerritos had a slump early in the season, but he has really been coming on now. In the last week he had a goal in Dallas' Open Cup loss and now a goal against the Metros.

23. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

He should have had the hat-trick......same old Cerritos, can't finish the 1 v 1.

24. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last year or maybe two that he was here, he was slacking off. As the team improved, he didn't. And it wasn't looking like he was making any move to get better. He had to go. He wrote his own ticket. He used to frustrate me so bad the last year he was here!!

He still didn't improve when he firtst got to Dallas. And without improving, he wasn't gonna get time. It seems someone finally lit a fire under his butt. I thought he looked much improved last night against the Metros. It seems to me that he finally realized that he had to get off his butt and work for goals, rather than getting lucky for being in the right spot at the right time. It's a shame he got hurt! I could see him improving even more throughout the season and through the playoffs. He could easily have become a leader for that team to take the Cup.

25. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Timmy had a great game last night. I think it was more his fault that Ronald didn't get the hat trick.