Was Pope one of the top 3 defenders in MLS?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Arisrules, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    I don't think he was one of the top 3 defenders in MLS this past season. I just don't. The guy didn't show me a lot on the pitch, both in terms of leadership, and in terms of defense (both organizing and individual exploits). I look at it like this, the guy has been burned by opponents top strikers for most of the season. Secondly, the team has needed someone to step up and tighten up the team play (we are a sieve). You'd expect it to be Pope who would stand up and demand better. But he didn't. The fact that Marc Connolly and others put him up for defendre of the year, is a result of giving him a free pass, and more of his legacy than anything else.

No doubt Pope has been the best defender in US history, but this is probably his worst season ever.

Finally, Parke has slowed down tremendously at the end of the season (similar to what happened to Clark and magee last season). However, as an overall season, he was the best defender for sure. I don't think he was the RoTY. Marshall of Columbus is incredible, and I think these two guys are going to be fighting for national team playing time in the future (I really do, Parke has poise and has a presence that you don't see amongst youngsters). Dempsey? I know he scored a lot, and is a brat on the field, bitching away. But I'm not sold on him.

2. _Wheels_

_Wheels_ New Member

Aug 31, 2004
    Wisconsin Rapids, WI
    I think one of the commentators made a good point during the Metros/DC game. How can either one of them be considered among the best defenders in the league when their team has given up the most goals?

3. Hugh DeMann

Hugh DeMann New Member

Dec 20, 2001
    To put it in perspective, I would trade Pope even up for Jolley or Petke.

4. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Not if him name wasn't Pope.....

5. OriginalAEK

OriginalAEK New Member

May 6, 2003
    Syracuse, NY
    Pope struggled this year. He's not even in the top 15 right now.

6. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe eddie can step it up in the playoffs for the few remaining games we have. He has had some good games but overall he is a shell of himself right now. I don't think he is even top 10 defender at this point. seems like National team duties destroy him when he gets back to us,

7. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Definately not. Parke, Leitch and Bonseu (LB) played better then he did for most of the season.

8. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Here's a very scary thought, in his brief opportunities Kenny Arena was the best CB for NY this season. If the stat's are checked (no, I didn't) I think we would find that the team had it's best results and GAA when he was on the pitch. I know this is hard for all the Kenny bashers to take but he was actually quite good this season in spot duty and he will be a full roster player next season on merit not nepotism.

9. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    I can beleive I agree!

I dont think he is a solid starter yet, but we've seen worse at that position.

10. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Part of your problem is that you're asking Eddie to do too much. He's not a field general. He's a great "locker room guy" who can provide that level of leadership, but he's not going to organize your backline the way Agoos, Llamosa, Nelsen, etc. will. You really a keeper who can organize the back line like a Meola.

Ask Pope to show up and play his game, you're gold. Ask him to take an on-the-field leadership role, forget it.

Sachin

11. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Yeah, he didn't even do that.

12. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as captain of the team has he ever sopken to the referee?? seems like amado and others are the ones dealing with refs as eddie just hangs out and watches others take responsibility for this. If you ever were to step up it is now or never Mr pope.

13. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC

So do we do what Jamison said (and we were all thinking) expose him in the expansion draft?

14. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    I've been pondering just that. the guy makes a ton of money. But someone of his pedigree probably will rebound next season and be superb.

I think in the off season, Bradley should name someone else captain. give it to Amado. Maybe it will calm him down a little bit, and be more mature on the pitch. Just a thought.

15. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Do the Metros pull a "Steve Jolley" and deal him to another sucker for cap flexibility?

If Bradley's still around, it's hard to imagine why anyone would want to keep a guy who is making the maximum, coming off a horrific season and is going to miss almost 1/3 of the games due to National Team duty and the obligatory mid-season pulled hamstring.

16. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Good idea. I think Gaven or Woly would make a better captain than Eddie. Eddie is a United player, the other guys aren't. Sorry, but when I read Eddie Pope, I think of D.C. United.

17. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    I think the easiest way to make Amdao captain is if Eddie is gone.

It would be a major slap in the face to one of the all time great american national teamers to take away the armband while he is still here.

I don't see a Bradley doing that.

18. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think a captain has to be a communicator. How is Amado's english coming? If he can't talk to 2/3's of the team how effective a leader can he be?

19. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    His english is coming along fine.

He is already the leader on the field anyway.

Its not like Eddie is a chatty guy anyway.

20. Sir Ek

Sir Ek Member

Sep 5, 2001
    I'd back up Amado for captain next year - but he's gotta keep his cool more like he was at the beginning of the season, not like these last several games where he's getting in the referee's faces.

21. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Yeah, but this is the Metros we're talking about. Pope has to step it up on both sides.

22. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    It's interesting as potential captains are discussed and each has major flaws, could this be the problem with Ny....no leadership? It seems there is far too much talent for the meager results attained so far.

23. guyricardo

guyricardo Member

Jul 10, 2003
    Newark
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

I certainly believe that lack of onfield leadership is the main reason that the Metros are more a bunch of talented individuals, than a team. I agree that if Amado's english we're better, he'd be El Capitan. Pope has only recently shown any leadership in the back line, much less to lead the team.

Another problem they have (and I'm not sure how much a centrally placed captain will have) is the Metros lack of shape. I'm sick and tired of seeing all the Metros in one quadrant of the filed, playing chase-ball like all those kids scrimmaging at half-time. I believe that they've been given a certain freedom by BoBB to move around, but it's very obvious to anyone with any soccer sense how much they give up (both ways) because there is no width to thier play. If the coaches won't direct traffic on the field, they need somone on the filed who will. JMHO :)

24. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Definately. This has been the problem since the end of 2000. That team had guys like Petke, Jolley and Ammann who would voice and lead the defense. Chung, Mathis, Ramos and Valencia carried the offense. Everyone had a role and everything was constructed in a way that each individulal's talent would fit well with the player right next to them. Right now it's a group of talented young guys who aren't being led. They don't have a general. Every game there's a different line-up. There's no chemistry at all.