War on what exactly?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Magpie Maniac, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who said it was the same thing? Dissent protects democracy, pal. I don't see your ass either dissenting or suiting up for battle. You're riding the chickenshit fence.

2. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I don't think anyone here is arguing that there is a direct correlation, and certainly not causation.

But terrorism and poverty often occupy the same neighborhoods because they share many of the same root causes. And when you tackle the forces to cause institutional poverty (rather than simply giving aid), you can also eliminate some of the conditions that breed terrorism. Again, while I don't see a direct correlation, the imbalance in wealth and power is something worth tackling.

3. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    I believe they are now called ReAL Salt Lake Taliban.

4. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We bombed the North Vietnamese to keep them and the Communists out of South Vietnam... don't even attempt this apologetic Fonda crap with me buddy...

By the North Vietnamese? yeah...I agree! Actually they'd rather have a good job and many have just that and are very thankful and prosperous today!

5. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    [watches point about b52s bombing civillian populations go flying over ITNs head]

6. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    no thanks to your military.

honestly - go to some of these countries and see the reality of it. Then feel free to say you think US foreign policy is great.

7. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    If someone burned down your house and killed all your kids and this someone later looked at the new house you rebuilt after 20 years of hard work and said: "Actually you'd rather done a good job and you should be very thankful for what I did to you 20 years ago today! for it were not for me burning down your old house and killing all of your kids, you wouldn't get a new wife and new kid and be prosperous today."

I don't know what you would say to this person?

8. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    What a convenient distinction that North/South is. Its called vietnam "buddy"

It was their country. Occupied by a succession of foreigners, the french, japanese, french then the US. For gods sake they fought on the allies side in WW2.

Even your own former secretary of state McNamara admits that is was a war of liberation for the vietnamese - not a war about communism/capitalism. They don't even like the chinese or the russians.

Again - you can go on about geopolitical justifcations for why you have to invade and kick arse and ******** about in various countries "for reasons of national interest" and do that stuff. and as usual poor civillians get bombed and killed, and then everyone wonders why this ******** happens.

9. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    You are thick. So, i guess it makes me a better citizen if i hate this country, b/c that would be dissent. Right. As for me not enlisting, so what? Until i have to, it's my choice. When i have to, i will. If you have served, good for you, more props. But to defend someone who hates this country b/c it's dissent is utterly moronic.

And just b/c i don't bash Bush every 2 seconds, it doesn't mean i'm all happy with his policies.

10. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    lol - for when you killed my kids, bombed my house AND lost the war anyway

Seriously though - is it any surprise when ******** goes down after that behaviour?

For me - a plague on violent arseholes of all varieties and nationalities

11. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

Ya know enlisting is a personal choice

The military is for some folks, it's not for others. I could care less if you ever serve. It doesn't cause me to lose sleep if folks who support military action don't show up for drill once a month

Just because you don't serve doesn't mean you cant advocate a policy

Unless you want to go to the Heinlien method of citizenship. Which I'd be all for

12. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    As someone who actually fights - do you believe that killing and shooting can actually solve any problems?

I know there is a point when fighting is necessary, eg when someoone like hitler kicks off, but I despair that we are never going to find a better way to solve our problems that all this butchery

13. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what my wife says.

There's a difference between dissent and hate. Big difference.

Acquiescing to neo-fascist leadership is real hatred for one's country.

14. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Are you Chairman Mao in disguise? Are you Chairman Mao in disguise? [/singing]

15. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Yes, and IM hates US.

then stop being one.

16. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    yes

17. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    You are too incoherent to even talk for yourself, much less pretend to talk for me.

I don't hate the US -- and that is something that anyone with half a brain should be able to figure out. Which obviously excludes you.

18. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Yeah, and Iran has the best soccer team in the world.

I guess you are right though, it takes someone with a full brain to figure out that you hate US. When you are right, you are right.

19. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's it? That's all you got? Are you 6? Did you not even get what I said?

20. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I'm not old enough to begin name calling fest.

21. !Bob

!Bob Member

Apr 28, 2005
    UK
    Good post skip. Also I would add for ITN that KSA is a rich nation but the wealth is distributed among the ruling elite (sheikhs) while a large proportion of the country do not see the benefits. Also the reason that so many terrorists come from KSA is not simply due to poverty as almost everyone has pointed out, it is a matter of a number of different factors.

22. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree here. Writer has implication towards consistency. So Oklahoma City does not happen enough. The same circumstances, in which; haterd lurks. This was intentions from abovementioned and not just "I told you, so." Now am in wonderment about transaction for weapons in region. Could this have been start of agreement? Possibilites exsist. Also IRA goes down there to train (mostly Columbia). It is small time outside of drugs but it happens.
    The South Americans could use help but every action against a nation of prominence. Situation only delays progression. Is this President Bush's quote "Your either with us or against us"? It could very well be. This devil won't be unhorsed.

23. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm telling you that