War in the Caucasus

Discussion in 'International News' started by 96Squig, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:rolleyes: Goodbye credibility.

2. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    it's ok Anthony, it's not his/her fault. It's called AIC - an accute inferiority complex.

3. Ferdosi

Ferdosi Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Good team work fellas.[​IMG]

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fact: Jews hate kittens.

5. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I was talking about the current head of a state...

Well, everyone knows that Mr. De Hoop Scheffer always does what Mr. Bush tells him...

Maybe I should tell you that countries like GB, France and Germany are among the top 6 concerning this matter (well, still far behind the USA ... but ahead of Russia - what could change very soon, though).

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/0,1518,578616,00.html

Quote:

Im Vergleich zu den Rüstungsausgaben der USA liegt Russland auch mit der kräftigen Aufstockung weit zurück. Die US-Regierung gab 2007 laut Sipri 547 Milliarden Dollar für das Militär aus, umgerechnet rund 385 Milliarden Euro. Das entspricht einem weltweiten Anteil von etwa 45 Prozent. Hinter den Amerikanern folgen Großbritannien, China, Frankreich, Japan und Deutschland.

6. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And only idiots (like you) have a soft spot for insulting other users! :rolleyes:

I wonder when you'll see your 1st yellow card...

7. Ferdosi

Ferdosi Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Cute, hehe.

8. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thanks for posting it. Finally I had some time to read the whole interview...

Here's an interesting quotation:

Speaking of prestige, some countries' prestige has been severely damaged in recent years. In effect, in recent years our U.S. partners have been cultivating the rule of force instead of the rule of international law.

Well, he might not be so wrong...

9. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, in 4 months and 3 days you will not have Mr. Bush to blame everything on. Given that the next president will be named either Obama or McCain, their views are probably more relevant on this matter.

And while I do not have the time or inclination to survey every NATO big wig, Chancellor Merkel said this last month:

"Georgia will become a member of NATO if it wants to -- and it does want to"

That was a big reversal from earlier this year when NATO was a bit hesitant on Georgian membership.

(Of course, technically, you said head of state and Merkel is head of government, but given that under the German Basic Law the head of state is only a figurehead, I suppose Ms. Merkel's views are the ones that count)

Well I do not know that, but again, Bush is president for only 4 months and 3 days more.

Fine, then we can leave NATO. The Europeans did such a bang up job handling the Balkan crisis that I am sure they are ready to handle their own security again. The Soviet Union no longer exists. Russia is really no threat to my country unless we make her one. NATO is the poster child for a government program -- the original need that gave rise to it was cured, but it still exists.

As for Putin's comment, I really do not give a damm what he thinks. If I was a Russian journalist though, I probably would walk around with a Geiger counter and wear kevlar underwear.

10. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    are you being serious?

if only there were some willing to 'die for Danzing' in the late 30's then they wouldn't have to die for ...too many cities and countries to mention... in the 40's

and they would not have to die by the millions in the 40's if they were willing to 'die for Danzing' in the '30s

11. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am quite serious. Despite the ramblings of one of Senator Obama's advisers, Putin is not Hitler or Stalin. Tiblisi is not Danzig. And my country just needs to stay out of all this.

12. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    to be honest Hitler and Stalin did not become "Hitler" and "Stalin" until it was too late to do anything about it

of course Putin is no "Hitler" or "Stalin", but i shudder to think that in 10 years time we might be talking about "Putin"

13. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be real now. Russia is in no position to be an imperialistic power or to really threaten the US. Its demographic spiral has slowed, but Russians are not reproducing. And you think our economy is bad? The Russian market had to suspend trading yesterday. On top of that, oil is now below $100 a bbl. Its GDP is something like 1/15th that of the EU.

Putin likes to swing his manhood around to be sure. And they still have a lot of muclear weapons. But those aside, they are no realistic threat to the US and not to Europe.

14. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Germany was a mess after WWI as well and look what happened

ok, ok Russia is no Germany in very many respects and you're right that Russia has some very serious problems ahead of her... i'm just saying that your attitude that what happens 'over there' has no bearing on us is not very wise

15. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like the US in the 1930s. Maybe if we put our heads in the sand no one will see us! :)

16. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is putting his head in the sand? I realize that Putin is a nasty guy. I also believe that the US should continue spending what we do on the military. The thing is that I do not see Russia as being a threat to the UNited States.

17. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    When oil backs to 60-80 level, Russia will be quite.
    Russia has no intention to fight with West, but if we honor their hope to get gas through them, instead of get Turkmenistan under NATO.

Now, Putin knew the coming years will be very tough. They start to look on China as the help. Recently, Russian media talked about if Russia wants to be a first rate country, they have to develop the whole country, which means the East side. They think about co-develop it with China, and ask for help on man powers.

18. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, oil is now back over $100 and a Russian task force is heading to Venezuela for "training." Is Georgia worth a confrontation in the Carribean with Russia? I do not think so.

19. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    [​IMG]
    nuclear-powered missile cruiser Pyotr Velikiy (Peter the Great)

[​IMG]
    Udaloy II multi-purpose destroyer Admiral Chabanenko

and some support ships

20. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where the ******** was Colin Powell in 2003? Oh yeah, he was leading the BushCo charge to war. Good soldier, Colin.

Well, at least now he's speaking some truth about Georgia.

http://www.crooksandliars.com/

21. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know that Obama wants Ukraine and Georgia in NATO, right? WHich means that once they are in, we will end up in a war with Russia the next time something flares up over there.

Pallin took heat for saying that, but what does Obama think being in NATO means?

As for Powell, while I agree with him on the cause of the Georgia war (though I do not agree with him that Georgia should join NATO), I lost a lot of respect for him with his post facto attempts on Iraq. If he felt as strongly as he claims he did, he should have followed the example of William Hennings Bryan and resigned (Bryan resigned as Sec of State when he felt that Wilson was trying to get the US into WWI).

22. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Don't you think that once they are in NATO, we (as their allies) would be able to steer their actions better than now? And that Russia would be likely to solve crisises different than they did the last one?

23. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NATO is a defensive alliance. Since Georgia was the aggressor in the previous war, there would be no need to defend them.

Aside from that, I think Georgia has proved it no longer has the privilege to join NATO. As indicated by its recklessness. Ukraine shouldn't be affected by Georgia's actions, but considering that the majority of people there don't actually want to join NATO, it should focus on the EU instead.

24. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering that Georgia is de facto a Western ally now, I would say that did not work very well.

All alliances are defensive in nature, even those that aren't. And given the still shadowy nature of what exactly happened in Georgia, the result may be to shoot first and ask later the next time Russian troops cross the frontier.

And let's not let Russia off the hook here. They have been helping this little crisis along for a while and are using the nationalities question to further their own agenda (even as that issue plays against Russia elsewhere in the Caucus region). Even now, we may see a replay of this in Ukraine, as Russia is considering giving Russian passports to some Ukranians.

In any event, I think it crazy to allow Georgia and Ukraine in NATO, considering that they still have these border/nationalities issues from the fall of the USSR and before that are still not resolved. Maybe the real issue is that NATO has outlived its justification and it is time to wind it up.

(As for Ukraine choosing between the EU and NATO, there is no reason they cannot do both -- but given the border/nationalities issue, I think the EU would be crazy to add Ukraine right now, though as an American I have no vote on that)