Wanting to replay football but lost all pace and stamina

Discussion in 'Player' started by TacoTach, Dec 30, 2020.

1. TacoTach

TacoTach New Member

Portugal
    Feb 20, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Hey there,

This subforum doesn't seem very active, but I'll still try it anyway.

Also, English isn't my native language, so pardon my English if I make any mistakes.

I've played football for 6 years and stopped playing at 18. I'm now 23 and would like to play again. When I played I was either a winger or a forward, and my main quality was clearly my speed. Don't wanna brag (ok, maybe just a little...) but I was fast, like crazy fast. I've always been the fastest player in every team I played. My shooting was pretty good too. I could throw some good passes, but I'd say my passing & crossing were pretty average. I was a decent dribbler, but here's the thing: the only reason I was able to get past players was because I was faster than them, not because of any superior technical ability. I was usually better in counter-attacks and would struggle in tight spaces. Although, from what I can remember, I had decent close control at high speed, but nothing exceptional. I was also an excellent penalty taker, if that's worth anything :p

Now, since then I've gained plenty of weight (fat, not muscle lol). I'd say I'm around 10-15 kg heavier than when I was 18.

In the last few years I've played a few times with friends and... I was terrible. I had zero stamina, my speed was completely gone, and I can't get past a single player anymore (which I guess is because I always relied heavily on my pace for dribbling).

So my questions are:

- Can you still improve technically, even at my age with years without playing? Like, if I was pretty bad at dribbling in tight spaces when I played, can I still become at least decently good at it if for instance I play some futsal?

- Will I regain my speed by just losing my excess weight and body fat, or could my speed loss be due to other factors as well?

2. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    - Yes you can improve a lot. You just have to practice a lot. You are still quite young. I'm 45 and I'm better than when I was 16. And I basically did not play in my 30s at all.

-You can regain speed, but you have to do a lot of running. And yes losing weight will help a lot and help you be less likely to get injured. Start slow and gradually build up speed, over say a few months. Your body needs to get used to it.
    Just losing weight alone won't make you much faster, you have to build up your overall conditioning for it by actually doing it.

TacoTach repped this.
  3. Baka_Shinpan

Baka_Shinpan Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Between the posts
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Interval runs, fartleks and footwork drills will help you regain your stamina and speed.