Wanted: Striker, Golden Boot preferred

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by SabreKhan, Mar 1, 2020.

1. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, I'm always against playing for "next year" in a pro environment. Next year will always bring its own challenges. If we try to win this year and fail in the attempt, so be it, but I'd really love to be that team that wins at least some silverware every single year regardless of circumstances.

I'm not opposed to bringing in a 2nd-stringer and starting Jahn if that's what FdB and the FO thinks we can do for the year. But that presupposes that we're going to get some goal production from some other sources (or that Jahn has just been waiting for DP-level service to shine).

2. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yeah, depth. From Birmingham Legion, of all places. Jahn's, sub I guess, lol
    Seriously, tho... Stejskal assures us the FO ain't done. Hope he's right.

4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  5. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, I don't even like to pay $60 for a nice shirt. If that was like $25, it would be my every-game attire.

yossarian repped this.
  6. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I actually wore that jersey in the 90's (seriously)… you should have seen our away kit.

SabreKhan repped this.
  7. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's tearing it up for our U23s and we allegedly turned down a couple of offers for him in January. Why the hell not? For selfish reasons (on both sides of the pond) I'd love to watch him every week.

Chance of it happening, however --- almost none I'd say.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  8. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I don't follow the Gunners, why is a loan not a viable option?

9. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just based on my speculation, nothing specifically stated, but first, he's rumored to be close to a first-team call up. And with Lacazette and Aubameyang's contract extensions being 50/50 (or less) right now, I could see Arteta wanting him available over the summer even if he doesn't plan on playing him with the first team this season. Also, while the Kroenkes don't exactly seem to be the most hyper-competitive sorts, I don't know they'd be amenable to loaning an Arsenal player to a competitor of the Rapids (insert joke here about how the Rapids can't really compete). It all just seems very unlikely.

Eleven Bravo and VFish repped this.
  10. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Thanks, that was a lot of information in a concise post. You need to give us more nuggets like that.

Meanwhile here is FdB's presser from yesterday:

11. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any player we speculate is unlikely... but it’s still fun to speculate!

VFish repped this.
  12. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    FdB did get one thing right, you can't get a top striker with $10 dls. LOL. Gotta love MLS and its salary cap.

Does anyone know how much any of the supposed guys that are "linked" or are options will get paid? It will have to be some type of loan otherwise they won't fit under the MLS rules. Anyone with the knowledge of how any of these players can fit in?

13. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    TAM/GAM we can pay them a lot. Tito was making DP money and he sat on our bench.

14. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    How much is a lot? And what is the maximum amount of a transfer fee that can be paid to avoid a player being a DP since transfer fees are also included?

15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    We can pay the player a lot. A transfer fee is different. I don't pretend to understand all the details, but we can sign a player and pay him well. The problem is finding one.

16. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Transfer fees are included to figure out if a player is a DP, TAM. I am no expert either by any means but probably anything over a 4 million transfer fee and with probably anything over a million dollar salary just for a one year contract and that player will be in DP territory. And I don't think the FO wants to make a mistake of getting someone for more than a year guaranteed contract. More than likely it will be a loan for one year where we pay part of that player's salary....if we can find someone. Players like Rondon, Giroud etc as it was suggested aren't coming for max TAM money unless we guarantee DP salary the following year/s like LAG did with Zatlan. Just hope we find someone fast and someone that can fit into the system.

17. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    With the transfer window closed you need to find a player who is expendable. That means a loan or free transfer. Or we can wait until\ June,