Wanted: Striker, Golden Boot preferred

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by SabreKhan, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Mabee

Mabee Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 26, 2017
    I hope you are preparing for Cinci... coming to Atlanta.... on Saturday

Auriaprottu repped this.
  2. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    "All right, I've give them all 15 more minutes to come out. If they don't show by then I'm going home. Harumph!"

Mabee and VFish repped this.
  3. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Okay, here is the question for Saturday... do we start Jahn or push either Pity or Barco into a false nine role? I always thought of Adam Jahn as the tall striker brought in at the end of game when you desperately need a goal. Not the perfect man for FdB's full game tactics, but good at that role. But TBH he looked pretty good when he came on last Saturday. Perhaps we switch the tactics up a little and have him controlling long balls and knocking them on to Pity and Barco and a advancing winger? If that works we go with what we got until we can sign a better JM7 replacement during the summer transfer window. Thoughts?

4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    For now Jahn starts.

If supposedly every other piece of the puzzle is designed with Barco and Pity orbiting around a central striker you stick with that, only changing how aggressively the team as a whole moves forward and how the other DP's will be looking to make runs off Jahn rather than feeding Josef's runs. In one sense this will better suit FdB's preferred possession game; Fewer long balls and more team involvement.

I would tell Jahn to shoot often early in the match, making sure teams respect him as a threat. Then work to find how Pity and Barco will be marked for any diagonal runs, or how far up the field a defender will follow if they came back for the ball in lieu of Josef. Hopefully the defensive shape will reveal openings for either DP or the wings to make dangerous attacks.

I'm also looking for a lot of "pick and roll" plays where Jahn is perched atop the key and poised to return a pass to a cutting player or turn and shoot. Josef does this but likes to dribble more from that position, whereas Jahn may be better served taking a crack.

If the defense and midfield do their job there's no reason the team as a whole can't still do well in attack. It just won't be as quick on the counter or in the same style. So adapt a little but don't compromise so greatly that more players are out of sync or lost in the gameplan.

Auriaprottu and VFish repped this.
  5. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I've put my ESPN+ account to good use and am watching Ajax's last match. I don't see Klaas-Jan Huntelaar in the starting line up. Perhaps it is time for Frank to get on the phone and chat up is old Ajax buddies. Of course I guess we could wait until the summer transfer window when Huntelaar's contract expires. All this assuming the man even wants to come to the States for a bit.

6. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Huntelaar comes on at the 60 minute mark. So apparently Ajax still use him and won't be willing to let him go during a championship run.

7. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we have to try Jahn out and see what he has to offer. Either way, it’ll show how desperate our situation.

I’d go, much the same...

—————Jahn—————-
    ———Barco—Pity————-
    Jake———Emo———Brooks
    —————Eric——————
    —Walkes—Meza—Wyke——
    —————Guzan—————

bench: Kann, Campbell, Adams, Larentowicz, Luiz Fernando

When Rossetto arrives and Miles and Escobar return.

————-Pity—Barco————
    ———Rossetto—Emo————-
    Jake————Eric————Brooks
    ———Meza—Miles—Franco——
    ——————Guzan——————

Bench: Kann, Walkes, Larentowicz, Adams, Castro, Luiz Fernando, Jahn

VFish repped this.
  8. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Huntelaar just hit the post and moments later he again puts himself in position and misses by a RCH, so apparently he can still score. Granted Ajax are playing bottom dwellers.

9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I agree, start Jahn Saturday. I don't agree that we are desperate. This team is strong and we are getting injured pieces back and new players integrated. I am tempted to say we stand pat and wait until this summer to find JM7's replacement. No way this team isn't near the top of the Eastern division mid season.

10. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Huntelaar scores in the 89th minute.

11. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    And he scores again, but called offside. If we still need a striker come June I say Frank should give him a call.

12. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Games before next transfer window...

Vs. Cincinnati
    @Club America - CCL
    Vs. Sporting
    Vs. Club America - CCL
    @chicago
    @Cincinnati
    Vs Portland
    @ Orlando
    Vs RSL
    @ Philly
    @nyrb
    Vs Miami
    Vs Toronto
    @ San Jose
    @ Houston
    @ NYCFC
    Vs Philly
    @ Crew
    Vs DC
    @ Revs

Can this team afford to not have a starting quality striker for 18 league games - at least.

That’ll leave only 16 games once a new forward could arrive.

Personally, that’s a big gamble that I don’t think we could risk.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  13. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, we're looking to replace 33 goals over the season, give or take. If we have a decent striker, that's 15 goals. So then we're looking for 18 more. Pity had 5 last year and Barco had 4. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask those guys for 10 goals each on the year (especially for what we pay them), so that leaves us looking for 7 goals. And that's IF we're talking about making a Supporters' Shield run. We don't need all 33 goals if we're talking about making the playoffs and having Josef back for a Cup run.

Jahn has averaged about a goal every 3 games over his MLS career. If he maintains that, he'll get 11 on the season. In 2016, he was scoring a goal every 90 minutes. But he's never been a regular starter in this league, and he only scored 17 last year in the USL. And even if he's in his "average" form, 11 goals on the year is not enough. Who knows, though. With excellent service and a good relationship with Barco, Pity, Lennon, Emo, etc., maybe he's a 20-goal guy?

Auriaprottu and GunnerJacket repped this.
  14. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    The transfer window doesn't really apply to us, we can bring in any player in the world. What the transfer window means is that teams in Europe or South America or whatever region we are talking about can't buy new players, they can sell or loan any player they like. The problem is if they sell a player they won't be able to replace him until the transfer window opens again, so teams are not going to part with a player unless the team is out of the competition and relegation safe or they have absolutely no use for the player. At least that is the way I understand it.

15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    This brings up a good point we need to address. With Josef down what are our goals this year? Lets prioritize. I say the CCL is done. USOC is on the table and we should go for it. Supporters shield done, let's concentrate on making the playoffs. In my simple mind there is no way this team doesn't make the playoffs, so we can go the first half of the season as is and then hire a mercenary to replace JM7 for the seasons end and the playoffs. I know 11Bravo won't approve, but what do the rest of you think? Man I hope the FO can work some magic so I can stop fretting personnel decisions and go back to being a fan.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  16. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's be realistic, too: Toronto FC and Seattle Sounders both made the MLS Cup final, and the top four goalscorers from those two teams COMBINED scored 43 on the season.

We don't need Cristiano Ronaldo, we just need someone decent. This is very much a team game.

VFish, Eleven Bravo and Auriaprottu repped this.
  17. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Logically, we need to ask the question though, is it worth it to grab a forward then for 1/2 of a season? I mean, if we’re going to waste the first 1/2, what makes the second half so much more relevant? Now, I get it that there’s the playoffs. But if we’re going to wait that long, should we just prepare for 2021 instead?

VFish repped this.
  18. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Well it would be nice to have a bonafided goal scorer for the playoffs. That is how you win The Cup. And what is the point of having all these Garber buck$ if you aren't going to use them?

19. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    And what is going on with these visas? Chicharito and the LA Galaxy didn't have this kind of hold up. Can someone please call Donald J Trump and tell him we need to get this expedited pronto because his policies are wrecking havoc on our season.

20. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Nah... Because there's the playoffs. Realistically, we can drop an L on most teams with what we have. Khaaaaaan's example of TFC and Seattle winning with lesser offensive talent (lesser talent, period). Just like Tfc beat us and Seattle beat lafc... We can still win the title with some luck. I don't think we should write off the season qnd just play it out with what we have.

21. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Well the is a change of tune. Welcome back aboard the train my friend.

22. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Instead of thinking about old farts, what about Folarin Bologun of Arsenal. He’s tearing it up for their youth teams but can’t yet get a sniff for the senior team. He could use a year of being the primary target for a team with the best service in the league and in front of the top ten fans in the world! Before he leaves next year for Arsenal’s first team.

Plus, it might help him consider playing for the USMNT.

Win (Atlanta United) - Win (Bolagun) -Win (Arsenal)!!!

Make it happen, Bocanegra!!

VFish and GunnerJacket repped this.
  23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ordinarily, I'd oppose taking any team's youth to start for us. Sends the wrong message to UEFA trolls on social media. But in this case we would be doing it because we lost talent after our window closed.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  24. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Going forward, we don't like to be called old farts and prefer the term 'experienced'. As for our potential striker I don't care if they are a young gun or grizzled vet, we just need someone for about 8 months.

25. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    One, this makes no sense. Two, what window has closed?