Want to watch a game!

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Minotti, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Minotti

Minotti New Member

Feb 17, 2006
    Sweden
    Thanks guys for the replies. Very helpful and I'll try to watch the mentioned teams :).

Btw; as I was playing FM 2007 I noticed that a team has a salary cap. Now, I might have missed something but isn't Beckhams new contract with Galaxy one of the "biggest"? I know alot of stuff comes from his commercials and that, but surely LA is paying a heavy salary too?

Also; does every team have the same salary cap or it depends on the size of the club (ecnomics etc)?

2. HogHoopFan

HogHoopFan Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Fayettnam
    Every team has the same salary cap. This is what makes the MLS extremely competitive year in, year out. Teams can trade other teams for more money on the salary cap.

Each team can have a Designated Player which is one player which can cost a high amount of money (Beckham) but only hits the salary cap with 400,000. A team starts with only one Designated Player (DP) but can acquire another through trades.

3. PompeyChimes

PompeyChimes New Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Portsmouth
    Minotti get fm08 and you can sign a designated player :)

4. Minotti

Minotti New Member

Feb 17, 2006
    Sweden
    Hehe I didn't like fm08 :D. I was about to ask why there isn't one in fm07 I mean a DP.

So I'm guessing this whole Designated Player is a new rule? Btw, in my team Donovan takes HALF the money :D. So how does this work, designated players? If I understand correctly, it's like an exception, no? And you can get more of them by drafting/trading players?

Oh yea, when is the draftin season? I think I missed it

5. TheRustyEunuch

Oct 16, 2007
    Medellín
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Galindo did make someone's list a few posts back but was not in bold. IMO he is the most dangerous striker in the league in terms of speed, touch, and finishing ability. His work rate seems to lack at times but when he is on his game there is not a more dangerous or fun striker to watch.

6. TheRustyEunuch

Oct 16, 2007
    Medellín
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Chivas is the most fun to watch with DC a close second. If Chivas had the fan support and atmosphere that DC does, they would have by far the most entertaining games to watch.

7. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    The first draft (Superdraft) was last week. KC traded a veteran defender in Nick Garcia who we drafted #2 8 years ago to San Jose for the #1 overall pick - which we used on Chance Myers from UCLA. You can see the results here.

http://web.mlsnet.com/mls/events/superdraft/2008/

The Supplemental Draft was yesterday, but it's easier to steal nuclear weapons than get information from the league on that.

8. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But too be fair to our OP, neither could get to the Championship. And DCU is getting a nasty habit of choking in important games.

9. TheRustyEunuch

Oct 16, 2007
    Medellín
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Not having either of them in the championship was a big let down in my opinion. I am not really a DC fan but the Fire winning that "series" disgusted me.

10. blackeye

blackeye New Member

Aug 2, 2006
    While I do agree that DC's not winning in big games lately, it still disturbs me how little importance the regular season has in determining the league champion. The average fan couldn't care less about who wins the SS.