Want to watch a game!

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Minotti, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Minotti

Minotti New Member

Feb 17, 2006
    Sweden
    Hi, I'd like to watch a game or I'd like to follow the league but I don't have access to the channels. So, are there streams around?

Thanks.

2. smashthacan

smashthacan New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    CA
    Last season they were steaming LA Galaxy games on livefooty. Google that if you don't use it already. If you get your hands on TVU player, you can access Fox Soccer Channel, which broadcast MLS games. Anyone know the price of the internet subscription that allows you to watch all the leagues games that aren't on FSC or ESPN2? Thinking of getting that myself.

3. PompeyChimes

PompeyChimes New Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Portsmouth
    not sure if I'm aloud to post a link but google myp2p and there you will find all info you need

4. Minotti

Minotti New Member

Feb 17, 2006
    Sweden
    Alright, thanks for the info guys.

However, I'd like to know more about MLS and the teams so here goes, I'll ask some questions in this thread :).

Which team/s are usually the big one/s?

How many city-derbies are there and which are they? I know of Chivas-LA Galaxy.

Which team is considered to play beautiful (hehe I know alot will say their team but don't be partial guys :p )

5. nymetrobulls

nymetrobulls New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    nyc
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The big teams are usually DC United, Houston Dynamo, and also with a little less sucess recently LA. I guess you could also throw NY into the category of big teams. As for playing beatiful, I hate to say it but I'd have to give this one to DC United. They are probally one of the more xciting teams to watch. But here in NY we've got Jozy Altidore and Juan Pablo Angel who can be very entertaining to watch.

6. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Last season it was $20 for MLSnet's internet video subscription. I'm not sure if that's available for customers outside the US though.

The parity in MLS doesn't really allow for one team to consistently play beautiful. It's more about current form and who has their stars.

7. Minotti

Minotti New Member

Feb 17, 2006
    Sweden
    I know of Angel and Altidore (although haven't seen him play). Are there any other interesting players(talents) out there making a mark?

I'm particulary fond of central mids who can control the game ala Iniesta,Xavi,Cesc,Pirlo.

Btw; Do MLS clubs participate in other competitions (like in italy there is the italian cup and all the european ones) ?

8. DCU4Life

DCU4Life Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Section 130 RFK
    My favorite team to watch is DC United (obviously). I am trying not to be biased. I was a soccer fan before MLS started, and an MLS fan before I became a DC fan. Houston plays a nice game too. LA is making moves right now that could make them a great team this year, or the most expensive flop in league history. It should be fun to watch. :)

As for derbys, LA / Chivas is the only true derby. But, we do have som good rvalries. DC vs NY, Chicago vs Dallas, Houston vs Dallas, Salt Lake vs Colorado, and returning this season, LA vs San Jose.

I hope you find a way to watch the games. If you can buy the package on mlsnet.com, it is a good deal for only $20. Unfortunately, some of the best games will not be shown there because they are on ESPN2, HDNET, Telefutura, or FSC.

9. Minotti

Minotti New Member

Feb 17, 2006
    Sweden
    ^^ Thanks alot for that.

What happened to San jose btw? Some years ago I managed them in football manager :D. I loved their name but they were impossible to manage.

If you guys would make a "best eleven" team from MLS who would you pick?

The formation: 4-4-2 :p

10. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    I'd say the players that most resemble these guys in MLS would be Juan Toja at Dallas, Christian Gomez at DC United, Dwayne DeRosario in Houston and Sasha Kljestian at Chivas USA.

MLS Clubs participate in the US Open Cup which is very similar to the FA Cup in England, as well as the Concacaf Champions Cup which is the tournament that sends the Concacaf representative to the World Club Championship and there is also Superliga which is a yearly competition between Mexican and MLS teams in the summer. There is also going to be a Concacaf Champions League starting late this season for the first time.

11. smashthacan

smashthacan New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    CA
    Thanks Szazzy.

Minotti. I suggest following Houston Dynamo. They are the two time defending league champs, but more importantly, have a central midfielder like you are describing. Dwayne de Rosario is regarded as the league's overall best player by many. They have a good mix of young talent as well and will soon be participating in international competition. When the league starts, if you can't find a game, just get on here and post with the same question again. I'm always trying to find links myself and am successful about half of the time.

...and by the way. San Jose got moved to Houston about 5 years ago or something. San Jose will be re-entering the league for the first time this coming season.

12. Minotti

Minotti New Member

Feb 17, 2006
    Sweden
    "Concacaf Champions Cup" Pardon my ignorance but is it North plus Central American teams?

"Concacaf Champions League " What nations would participate in that competition?

btw; thanks for the tip, I'll watch those guys. Do you have any up and coming talent that is playing that role?

13. Minotti

Minotti New Member

Feb 17, 2006
    Sweden
    Thanks man, will do.

However, I'm not a gloryhunter :D. Except for Parma there isn't a team that I love, I do love to watch football though and would like to watch MLS. As much as possible, as many teams as possible. :)

14. smashthacan

smashthacan New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    CA
    For the last 7 years approx., the best up and coming American player like you are describing is Landon Donovan. Past that I'd say Sacha Klestjan like Boomer mentioned. Landycakes plays for LA with Beckham (as I'm sure you know) and Sacha plays for their rivals Chivas. Morrissey is a Chivas fan if that has any influence on you.

15. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's all members of CONCACAF, one of the 6 FIFA confederations.

The Champions League will be a reorganization of the Champions Cup, supposed to start later this year.

16. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    www.mlslive.tv is a VERY good value. it's only $20 which is excellent. You can watch all the games that are not nationally carried or on p2p TV. it is available outside the US too. i've watched games from england, canada and japan.

If you sign up for the next season you can watch all of the last season's games in the archive now. :)

17. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    Oh wow. :rolleyes:
    15 posts about MLS where every team was named, except ... NE Revolution?

The team that made it to the final Cup 3 years in a row?
    The team that won the US Open Cup last season?

Minotti, if you are looking for midfielders who can control the game, then Shalrie Joseph from the NE Revolution is one of the best, if not the best, midfielders in MLS.

18. smashthacan

smashthacan New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    CA
    There were lots of teams not mentioned besides NE. I didn't mention my team KC. NE plays relatively boring soccer. Most people agree. It works for them, but if you aren't from the area, why would someone want to follow them? Shalrie Joseph is very good, but also boring IMO.

19. NebraskaAddick

Aug 26, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm so looking forward to the Champions League; it's the nature of the soccer world to have almost no off-season, so this is just how I like it. November to April is too long a wait and not have something game-wise to talk about in MLS.

20. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Minotti, I keep trying to answer your question and keep coming up blank. Because MLS has parity, any team can play a great game - and any team will look like dogs sometimes. Roseters aren't even set. Ask back here in a month to get a better idea of which team to follow.

21. houston_gunner

houston_gunner New Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Houston
    You may want to keep your eye out for Stuart Holden from Houston Dynamo. He is a young midfielder who had his first break out year in 2007. He normally plays in right midfield. He has a great shot from distance. He will be playing for the US U-23 in the Olympics. He probably will not last long in the MLS when Europe comes knocking.

Check out "my p2p player" They list all the games and where they will be streamed.

22. blackeye

blackeye New Member

Aug 2, 2006
    1) Houston and DC have been the top 2 teams in recent years. New England gets an honorable mention.

2) As mentioned before, Chivas-LA are the only same-city rivalry.

3) Not being biased here, but DC is consistently one of the most enjoyable MLS teams to watch. They score a lot of goals and have a good amount of South American talent. Houston and Chivas are fun to watch as well. And FC Dallas's Juan Toja is the league's most exciting player IMO.

23. WFU03

WFU03 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Singapore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In response to the question of who the best XI are, here's the list from last year's MLS Best XI. I've bolded the players who are especially good or noteworthy.

GK: Brad Guzan, Chivas

CB: Michael Parkhurst, New England
    CB: Eddie Robinson, Houston
    LB: Jonathan Bornstein, Chivas

DM: Shalrie Joseph, New England
    RW: Ben Olsen, DC
    CM: Dwayne de Rosario, Houston
    CM: Christian Gomez, DC
    CM: Guillermo Barros Schelotto, Columbus

F: Juan Pablo Anglel, New York
    F: Luciano Emilio, DC

Notable players not on the list:
    GK: Pat Onstad, Houston
    GK: Matt Reis, New England

RB: Drew Moor, Dallas
    CB: Jimmy Conrad, KC
    CB: Abel Xavier, LA

DM: Pablo Mastroeni, Colorado
    DM: Ricardo Clark, Houston
    DM: Maurice Edu, Toronto
    RM: David Beckham, LA
    CM: Justin Mapp, Chicago
    CM: Juan Toja, Dallas
    CM: Sacha Kljestan, Chivas

F: Cuauhtemoc Blanco, Chicago
    F: Maykel Galindo, Chivas
    F: Ante Razov, Chivas
    F: Brian Ching, Houston
    F: Landon Donovan, LA
    F: Jozy Altidore, NY

24. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Chivas and DC played the most attractive ball in MLS last year. Houston plays a very effective game, though I've never found their style to be especially beautiful. They're a very organized team and do well to shut down space in midfield, so an Italian fan such as yourself might appreciate their style of play.

Kansas City, contrary to their prior reputation, also played some very attractive ball at times last year, but their top forward has just transferred to Fulham, so that might take some of the bite out of their attack for this coming season. Dallas also has the ability and the desire to play some attractive ball.

NY is a bit of a strange case. They have the players to play an attractive attacking game, but they are inconsistent in their ability to actually do it. Their new coach this year is more known for his work on the defensive side of the ball, which could go either way for them. If he can get their defenders working on the same page, it might actually free up their talented players to attack more, but if not, they could end up playing a lot of ugly ball this year as he tries to plug holes in the defense.

LA has some exciting players, but their salary cap situation leads to them often being forced into playing very sub-par players for extended periods, which limits their effectiveness. It will be interesting to see how they do this year with a new coach.

New England are also better to watch than many on these boards give them credit for, but they have lost several of their most exciting attackers the past couple seasons, (Dempsey last year, Noonan and Dorman this year) so they could end up being pretty ugly this season.

Chicago has some players who are worth watching on their own in Blanco, Rolfe and Mapp, but overall, I wouldn't call their style very attractive. They also have a new coach this year, so they could go either way, really.

The situation with the rest of the teams is pretty dire on the field until proven otherwise. Hopefully one or more of the rest of the pack will step up this year and give us something to watch.

25. PJohnson

PJohnson Member+

DC United
    Dec 16, 2004
    South Dakota
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Fox Soccer Channel will be streaming MLS matches on www.foxsports.com this year. Not sure if there will be a charge for that.