Want to see Barcelona this summer? Purchase an MLS full or partial season ticket plan

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by guamster, Apr 13, 2006.

1. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    FC Barcelona U.S. Tour 2006 – Ticket Package Deposit Form

Interesting tactic. I am glad to see MLS/SUM reward the season ticket holders of the three hosting MLS teams. There probably will be a public sale later with no MLS strings attached but for the time being, if you want to ensure that you are in the stadium when Ronaldinho and company visit, you better go sign up for a season ticket plan.

2. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    "I just don't see how Barcelona playing Chivas de Guadalajara helps MLS."

3. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Re: Want to see Barcelona this summer? Purchase an MLS full or partial season ticket

It's smart business, exposing Euro/Mexi-snobs to MLS.

4. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Want to see Barcelona this summer? Purchase an MLS full or partial season ticket

I don't know they're going to be exposed to it, other than as something that in 2 of the 3 games will be the undercard to what the people really came to see....Barca vs. MFL teams. It makes the MLS match the opening act to the main show, cementing in people's minds that MLS is "different" or at least not as good as "real futbol"...

Sorry, has to be said.

5. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston

Yes, the Euro/Mexi-snobs will be very impressed by the last 10 minutes of the game that is going on while they get their drinks and go to their seats.

6. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA

It might not help MLS much, but from what I read from people that attended the Barcelona/Milan match at DC, they had a great time.

7. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

Every little bit helps.

WOrd out on the street the last couple of years is that there is more attention being paid to these undercards, in general.

PLUS... SUM wins. In which case, MLS/SUM is quietly joining MFL/Mexican National Team as the only profitable soccer ventures in the US.

Oh, and some USL teams are slowly creeping in that territory as well.

Momentum. Slowly. Building... momentum.

8. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe SUM should get into the business where you just have to pass on your bank account number to help out an African being suppressed by his government and he will pass on $50 million to you as a thank you, it's just as honest.

How does this help soccer? You want to buy a ticket to one game and then find out to buy one ticket you have to buy seven more. It's up to MLS to sell their product, it's not up to them to just stand there and say soccer fans in the U.S. should be forced to pay for our product regardless of if they want to to watch it or not. Just because SUM makes money doesn't mean it helps soccer.

9. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    SUM = MLS more or less. If it's good for SUM, it's good for MLS.

They are doing the right thing. Personally, I like the idea of people who don't support MLS financially going to the back of the line.

Sachin

10. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not them going to the back of the line I have the problem with. That's understandable.

It's that they have to buy tickets for seven other games. We'll have sellout crowds with 12000 in the stands.

11. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Which is better than 12,000 tickets sold with 12,000 in the seats...

The idea is this gets the attn of the Euro fan 'MLS fence sitters' who always intend to go to a game, but never actually get the gumption up to go do it. This gives them a reason to do it.

12. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

13. United1

United1 Member

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    This doubleheader will do nothing to help MLS. Do you really think these Eurosnobs and Mexicans are going to buy into MLS after seeing a little bit of the Houston match (if they get there in time to see any)?

This was done for the $, not to promote MLS. Best possible scenario is that half of Barca doesn't show up for this match.

14. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    The double-headers will make Europhiles and Mexicans BUY MLS tickets.

I don't see how you can view that as being anything other than helpful for MLS.

If it was done solely for the $, why make people buy MLS tickets in addition to the Barca ticket? Couldn't they have made more money just by jacking up Barca ticket prices more? Sure. But instead, they decided to make people buy MLS season tickets. They also decided to do these as DHs with MLS teams. Clealry, they could have made more money if they weren't interested in promoting MLS.

Does SUM want to make a lot of money? Of course-- we don't disagree there-- but it isn't all or nothing.

15. metrofan89

metrofan89 Member

Jun 13, 2005

You obviously missed the point of this thread. Please refrain from negative comments when you cant even comprehend what original poster is saying.

If you want to purchase tickets to Barcelona, currently you HAVE to also get a season ticket plan or partial season ticket plan, therefore making people going to the Barcelona game go to see MLS games as well.

16. frodoguevara

frodoguevara Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte Eagles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the season ticket holder stipulation bothers me a little bit. I love DCU, but I live to far away to justify the purchase of one. I make it to at least one or two games a year, and that gives me my MLS fix, but when I heard Barca was coming I went nuts. Now I find out there not even playing United, but an MLF team after a United match? Doesn't make sense. And, why is it that the Red Bulls are the MLS team that gets to play them? If it should be anyone it should be either the Galaxy, or New England. Not Red Bull!:mad:

17. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United

Well.. you just have to shell out for the season tickets, you don't have to acutally go to the games.

Sachin

18. metrofan89

metrofan89 Member

Jun 13, 2005

Well of course. But in that case the MLS team still makes money off the ticket sale.

19. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston

There's no way they limit tickets to the Barcelona games to season or mini plan ticket holders.

And unless what I post is somehow in violation of the TOS I'll continue to post what I like.

20. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing that you're from D.C., if the Redskins said that if you wanted to buy a ticket to see the Skins play the Cowboys, you also have to buy seven Washington Capitals tickets, would you and other Redskin fans see that as fair? The only thing that would do is reinforce the point that no one wants to see Caps games, cause they are forcing people to buy tickets for something they do not want to see in order to get something they want, and that they have to rely on such extortion in order to get people to buy tickets.

Another comparable situation is like when someone scalps tickets and you sell one ticket along with a hat. The ticket is "face value", but the hat is $600, and you can't buy the ticket unless you buy the hat. Maybe MLS sees scalping in their future.

Bottom line: very minor-league.

(P.S. In a similar episode, Colorado last year had a doubleheader with a Mexican team. They wanted people to see their game as well as the ensuing Mexican game. So what they did was have people that bought their tickets before the game at $10, and tickets during the Colorado or before the Mexican game as $15. So according to the Rapids front office, what they were selling that night was:

MLS game - worth of negative $5
    Mexican exhibition - worth of $15
    doubleheader value - worth of $10

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6281825#post6281825)

21. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You'll forgive me if I am bit skeptical of that. Also if I think it's slightly insulting that in our own buildings (well, at least in 2 outta 3 cases) we're going to play second fiddle to our biggest competition in drawing fans: European league and the Mexican league. I understand the idea behind having the doubleheaders, but would a SUM stipulation that if you intend on touring the US and having them promote it you have to play an MLS team be too much to ask?

At least we're making money off it.

22. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    I'm not sure I understand what "fair" has to do with this.

"The only thing" it does? I see your point, but that's too strong-- it also puts money in MLS coffers, will give people who are on the season ticket fence some incentive to buy a season ticket and, once people already have tickets, they'll be somewhat more likely to go the games.

I agree that, in part, this does underscore that DC United regular season games aren't exactly the hottest ticket in town. The thing is, I've seen other teams in the big leagues use exactly this sort of promotion (e.g. when Detroit opened up their new baseball stadium, you needed to buy a mini-pack in order to get tickets to the home opener).

I don't think you're wrong that it underscores the relative undesirability of MLS matches-- but I don't that will have much of a negative effect on the people that actually do go to MLS games.

The people who are the fence now have more reason to go. And the people who dislike MLS? Well, at least MLS teams are getting money from them now.

People use the term "minor-league" very freely on these boards. I'm not really sure what it means, except that you don't like it. As I've said, big league teams use this sort of practice frequently (the Detroit example, needing to buy mini-packs for playoff tickets, etc).

23. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC

But that's what they're doing for the pre-sale, so, yes, MLS is making people buy MLS tickets if they want Barca tickets during the pre-sale.

24. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town

For people crying that this is "not fair" or "minor league" are a little out of touch. When you can talk Barcelona to play in your backyard then you can make the rules. How is this different from other major league making you buy a pack of tickets to get into the big game.

Example: The Columbus Blue Jackets frequently have a deal where you have to buy a three game pack where one game is against the Red Wings (usually a sellout) and the other two are against teams that do not usually sell well. Unless you are a season ticket holder this is usually the only way you can get tickets unless you scalp or ebay a ticket. They also run similar specials with the Columbus Destroyers (Arena Football). These are all quite fair and certainly major league as many other sports and franchises participate in such tactics.

Another example is last year's US/MEX game. The Crew gave first dibs to tickets to season ticket holders. So what did most of do? Signed up for season tickets. We know that the moment that the public tickets were available they'd be gone (and they were). I was happy because it only cost me 50 dollars more (prob. would have paid more to a scalper) plus I had an excuse to go watch more Crew games than I usually do.

It's a very common marketing tool and it works rather well. Cheers to MLS.

25. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    it's a double header? i plan on going to see Chivas - Barca....i might go sooner to check out the MLS game too then...