Want to own a baseball team? Republican only, please. No Democrats need apply.

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Samarkand, Jul 6, 2005.

1. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    George Soros is a huge hypocrite by the fact that he has never hesitated to bend and break laws to increase his own personal fortune yet he sits back and criticizes others, Bush in particular. And since, for some, his criticism of Bush, fits their own personal political point of view, they see Soros as some kind of hero/role model. He isn't, and shouldn't be. If people would just spend a tiny bit of time looking at this monster's history, they would see him for the devil he truly is. MLB has enough problems without including Soros and his particular brand of "open society" into the ownership group.

Among the more notable "achievements" of this 2-faced blood-sucking Dracula (so called by the people of Thailand and Malaysia who lost billions in his open attack on their currency in 1997 which increased his own personal wealth by several $BILLION):

in 2002, he paid a $2MILLION fine for a violation of French stock trading laws regarding insider trading, something he has been suspected of for 2 decades in other deals.

funded a campaign in Nevada to try to legalize marijuana.

invested over $100MILLION in the Carlyle Group (along with James Baker and George HW Bush, and, relatives of Osama bin Laden) whose prinicipal business is defense contracts, yet he is viewed as the darling of those who oppose military action.

founded the Quantum Fund group whose primary interesting is in currency trading. They specialize in speculating on, and manipulating weaker currencies around the world. The fund has averaged a 35% return/ since its inception in 1969. It has frequently been cited as a source of action influencing value and suspected of having "inside knowledge."

in 1992, he attacked UK currency with a bid, based on a projected devaluation of the pound, that resulted in a single day personal profit of $1BILLION.

The list goes on but the most telling statement about the moral character of this blood-sucker is this Soros quote from an article by Neil Clark in New Statesman, "As a market participant, I don't need to be concerned with the consequences of my actions." Interesting statement by a guy who claims to be the hero of "the little guy."

For George Soros, an "open society" is one where HE has a chance to make a ton of money. Period. A cursory study of his actions in Europe, particularly Eastern Europe, shows him to have paid off those who supported him, and bullied opponents who opposed his single-purpose profit grabs.

My problem with the statement by Davis is that it is a political statement when he should be condemning Soros as a 2-faced money-grubber who will not help the image of MLB by his inclusion in the ownership group. Frankly, if I were an owner, I would review his history and conclude that he is someone not to be trusted. He is, instead, a totally self-serving, unscrupulous scoundrel who invests when it serves his own purpose regardless of the moral and financial consequences of others. The fact that he has become the darling of the Far Left only serves to show the true colors of that group.

But the man is brilliant in his own self-serving way as witnessed by his early recognition of the major loophole in McCain/Feingold's attack on freedom of expression, sometimes called the Campaign Finance Reform Act, by using that loophole to funnel nearly $25MILLION into 527s. No one individual had the vision, and the finances, to exploit that legislative travesty as did Soros.

And MLS should admit this guy into the ownership group?

2. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    MLS admitted Anschutz, who has been on the wrong end of a subcommittee or two in his life.

That's the point - as long as these guys are dabbling in sports, especially soccer, then they have less time and money to screw up the real world. Phil has spent untold millions of dollars making this liberal happy, instead of making this liberal very sad. (Hey, it wasn't like he told Anspaugh "Make Game of Their Lives boring as toast.) Steinbrenner only managed to get caught making illegal donations to Nixon - imagine what he'd be doing if he was in politics full-time. (Well, Dave Winfield would have had a much easier time of it, I suppose.)

Besides, it's supposed to be a free country. Capitalism, free market, and all that. I don't give a ******** about the Ex-Expos, but what if I win the lottery one day, and want to buy the Galaxy so I can call them "Dan's Super-Awesome Soccer Team"? Why should I have to change party affiliation to do that?

3. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the last line of my post sums it up best. To think that if you piss off anyone in power that it won't come back to haunt you is naive.

This goes on with Cops, to Judges, to local politicans, all the way to the top.
    Soros was quite loud about his attacks on Bush and the reeps. Now he is going to have to play the politics of his own actions.

Again, I am not condoning any of this, but I am saying that Soros made his own bed here.

4. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    OOPS. Major typo on my part. I meant MLB and it's too late to edit now.

5. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Bullsh**it!

Your post is all innuendo and smear.

Relatives of bin Laden? Get the fu**ck outta here!
    Funded a legal campaign to legalize weed? Wow!
    Made a billion dollars in a day? Oh, the humanity......

Soros has played by the rules (and paid when he hasn't) and has made buckets of money. And you know what? There is no rule that says that if you make obscene amounts of money that you have to tithe to the Republican Party. You are not duty bound to support the Republicans.

Last time I looked, it was legal to speculate in currency, it was legal to support the Democratic Party, it was legal to put your money into 527s, it was legal to use your money and spend it to buy assets (Washington Nationals) that might increase your bottom line.

So the Republicans only like free enterprise when it benefits their own? Soros is a bad man because he made money and didn't give it to Georgie and Karl, right?

What about this? Rep. John Sweeney (R-N.Y.), vice chairman of the Appropriations subcommittee that covers the District of Columbia budget, said if Soros buys the team and seeks public funding for the new stadium or anything else, the GOP attitude would be, "Let him pay for it." You want to have a look at what happened in Texas? Bush and his partners used the law of Eminent Domain to condemn private property for a new stadium; then taxpayers funded the privately owned project. Guess what happened next? Bush walked away with about $18 million. You think the GOP wanted Bush to pay his way? Noooooooo, because they're Republicans. And because they're Republicans, they're going to make sure that no-one who's not a Republican gets a deal as sweet as Georgie Boy and Co.

And finally for some pure comedy..............
    Name me a baseball owner who doesn't fit this category? Name me a business owner who doesn't fit this description? You think Richard Mellon Scaife is a fu**cking humanitarian?

So Republican business owners, investors and entrepreneurs are blessed with huge social consciences that allow them to only do good, hug trees, save little kittens and emit zero greenhouse gases?

Soros is being targeted because he has the temerity to make fu**ck loads of cash and to dislike Bush and to put his money where his mouth is. And the Republicans' answer to all this is to abuse the power of law and Congress to make him pay for being so uppity.

But don't forget, he is, instead, a totally self-serving, unscrupulous non-Republican scoundrel :rolleyes:

6. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    I agree with you here but would take it further, and more specifically, that he "made his own bed" before he ever got involved as the major benefactor for the "We hate Bush" wing of the Democrat party.

The major thrust of my previous post is that his prior actions should disqualify him from ownership, not the fact that he opposed the current president, who happens to be a Republican. THAT is where we should really be addressing our concerns, not the tactically erroneous statement by Tom Davis. To the extent we focus on Davis we overlook the far more egregious actions of Soros PRIOR to Decision 2004, 527s and Moveon.org.

7. jackistheman

jackistheman New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    You think Tom Davis, head of the Republican House Campaign Committee, opposes Soros' bid because of Soros' past currency speculation? Are you serious?

8. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Wow, I never realized you were a Marxist. "open attack" :rolleyes:

I was pretty pissed when the dollar collapsed, but did go looking around for "blood-sucknig Draculas." Warren Buffet, amongst many others, was betting heavily against the dollar.

"Blood-sucking." Maybe you didn't intend it to be that way, but a lot of the anti-Soros sh!t is pure Nazi-style anti-Semitism. Which is kind of ironic given how Soros doesn't give one whit about other Jews.

9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This is probably a bit off topic, but why anybody at all (democrat or republican) would want to watch baseball, let alone own a baseball team, is beyond me.

10. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    When you became an American citizen, weren't your foced to swear an allegiance to baseball? Open the freaking Constitution, baseball is in Article I, right next to mother and apple pie.

11. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    You need to educate yourself. Google for George Soros and start reading. There is a ton of info out there. You will find exactly what I stated to be true.

12. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    Of course not but that would have been a better play. That is why I said it was a tactical political error. If he would have given it more consideration, he would have gone into the insider trading conviction in France, the UK currency flap and the attack on Thai and Malaysia, among others. Davis showed himself to be politically naive, or inept, or both. Stupid play on his part.

13. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    That's the problem, too much of your "education" is based on Googling and reading dubious web sites. I can't stand Soros either, but your comments are way over the top.

14. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Aye. Google's algorithm more often than not takes you to more extremist viewpoints (on either end of the political spectrum) while more moderate links tend to get lost. High Google score does not equal authority. It just means that it gets linked to by other sites with high Google scores.

15. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    Yes, I do not like Soros, but my post involved a quote that called him a blood-sucker. (Frankly, I did not know he was a Jew until I started some research last night.) And no, he is not the only one who speculates on currencies. But he has been smart enough to speculate on currencies that are not as closely watched as others, hence he has been able to make a ton of money on them when he would not have been similarly able in larger pools. But he hasn't stopped there as witnessed by the French conviction.

Legally right. Morally wrong. If you can't do it right both ways, you shouldn't do it at all, in my book. Applies to more than Soros but it doesn't excuse him from operating across the line. If he wants to play in bigger games, he must expect to become a bigger target. One of the reasons I would never get any further involved in politics than our local school board...and BS. ;)

16. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    I understand and agree with your observations about Google, but there are plenty of others. I usually start there and follow links to other sources. I have embarrassed myself all too often by just relying on Google-only sites. In this case, I DID use some of the more extreme stuff on Soros, though all of it has been documented by others. He is a creep, IMO, and deserves far greater scrutiny than he has received.

Few are bigger "free market" guys than yours truly, but I firmly believe the "free market" needs to be similarly driven by morality as profit. Soros has never found that to be an impediment and THAT is where I find my greatest dislike for him. Frankly, I personally think his involvement in Decision 2004 to be right up there with Michael Moore in terms of dis-attracting (making up words?) undecideds to vote for Bush.

17. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Mother I already had, apple pie I willingly adopted, but baseball...

nah.

18. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    "Mom, can I have another piece of apple pie while I watch the soccer game?" :)

19. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    So let's look at what you stated and see if we can discern fact from argument from opinion, OK?

Opinion not fact.
    Opinion not fact.
    Opinion not fact.
    Opinion not fact.
    Opinion not fact.

Opinion not fact, plus ad hominem
    Fact, but argumentative.

Fact.
    Opinion not fact.

Fact.

Fact.
    Smear and innuendo.
    Fact.
    Opinion not fact.

Fact, but somewhat argumentative.
    Opinion not fact.

Fact.

Opinion not fact.
    Fact.
    Opinion not fact.

Opinion not fact.
    Opinion not fact.

Opinion not fact.
    Opinion not fact.
    Opinion not fact.
    Opinion not fact.
    Opinion not fact.

Opinion not fact.
    Argumentative. Opinion not fact.
    Fact, but argumentative

Interrogative, not fact.

And again the only reason Soros is being targeted is because he has the audacity not to tithe to the Republican Party, because he dares believe that BushCo are wrong and bad for the country and because he speaks his mind. What he has done to date is legal. You think what Davis and Sweeney are doing passes the smell test? Or is this another case of It's OK if you're a Republican?

20. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    I finished my previous post with my own observation, based on my own opinion, (just so we get that down) that what D & S were doing was not based on solid politicaltactics. OK? That is a given since politicians were speaking.

However, I will go back to my original post with the old adage that when it walks like a duck, (FACT) quacks like a duck (FACT), it IS a duck. (OPINION BASED ON FACT) I cited plenty of facts to clearly indicate that Soros had outright violated laws for which he has been convicted, stepped around others, and operated in a clearly amoral manner in the case of others. From that there is more than ample room to draw some observation-based opinions as to his overall moral character. Now one can marginalize some of those positions but that does not change the facts of his history.

But here is an interesting observation: when the Bush family was found to have invested in Carlyle, the observation was made that estranged members of OBL's family were also investors. Now when that "alleged fact" is brought up on the other side of the fence, it appears it no longer applies. Hmmmmm It appears that "what is good for the goose is no longer good for the gander." Not usually the best refutation argument, it is true, but it clearly applies in this case.

21. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually he "spends" rather than "speaks" Samarkand, in his support of the Democrat Party... And I don't directly find that spending objectionable... what is wrong, however, is the politicians on Soros' payroll that deny such every day!

22. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    No, but you can have a piece of Shepherd's Pie.

[​IMG]

23. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When is he going after convicted felon George Steinbrenner with similar zest?

24. jackistheman

jackistheman New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    It would have been a better play if Tom Davis cared that Soros engaged in currency speculation or insader trading. Tom Davis levelled his threats because he cares that Soros is a full-throated and full-walleted supporter of the Democratic party.

25. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    I would like to think Soros only supported the Left Wing of the Democrat party.