Wanna guess how many new customers VA Hospitals expect to see?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by DJPoopypants, Jun 29, 2005.

1. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

yeah, yeah, another thread about wounded veterans. I'm sure many of you would wish this would go away, just like many of the soldiers who actually sacrificed their bodies for this country.

Anyway - exactly why are we cutting funds and closing hospitals again?

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=578&e=2&u=/nm/20050628/ts_nm/congress_veterans_funds_dc

Anyone wanna guess what xxx is, read the article, then comment but try to not mention the actual # quoted until page 2?

Borders?

2. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Sadly, there's nothing in the article that is surprising.

Long-term planning for Bush's war (which includes taking care of wounded when they return home) was and is completely non-existent.

3. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    Why must we use the troops as political weapons

4. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask Dubya.

5. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

where does politics come through my post? I've clearly said in the past that neither R nor D can be particularly proud of their history of treating veterans.

But perhaps you feel that no bad news should be allowed because it reflects poorly on your leader? Odd - perhaps you're better suited for the Iraq of 4 years ago....

But anyway - you crack me up. "Why use troops as political weapons"?

Duh. War is politics by violent means, so soldiers are inherently political weapons. Soldiers made sure Saddam Hussain wasn't re-elected. Soldiers made sure we don't pay taxes to Queen Elizabeth.

No, I think you are quite clear - only republicans can wave the bloody shirt and use soldiers as weapons.

6. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    "War is not an independent phenomenon, but the continuation of politics by different means." - Carl von Clausewitz

7. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    DJ

Perhaps I need to be more clear

I don't think you care one bit about the hospital care the wounded receive

You only care because this gives you a stick to poke at the President with

If this was someone you liked in office I doubt you'd even use up the energy to do the cut and paste

8. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

And you would be quite wrong, because you know nothing about my relations with veterans who have quite a bit to be unhappy about.

is it so hard to be outraged, without being partisan?

Say, like the republicans in Congress who are disgusted with what the VA has been up to recently?

9. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

From the amount of anti Bush and anti Republican threads you post, yes it is hard to see you as anything but partisan DJ

10. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So tell us Goerge, how do you feel about Dubya making cuts to the VA which negatively impact the care and treatment of returning Iraq vets?

11. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NPR said 80,000 this morning. The report also said the VA had based funding needs from 2002 - without factoring in Afghanistan and Iraq.

FUBAR planning, if you ask me.

12. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca

don't act like consevatives do the same thing when a dem is in office. supporting the troops means a little more than putting a yellow ribbon on your Hummer. i think any president or congress that makes these cuts in "a time of war" should be called on his crap. they send the troops over there with insufficient armor, then they cut thier benifits when the come home wounded. shameful.

13. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Your desire to focus on a partisan pissing match instead of this very real probelm with our troops suggests you hate our troops.

14. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    I hate myself ?

15. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Veteran's issues only become a partisan conflict when the government seeks to decrease benefits at a time when veterans are coming home from war.

Fortunately, there is one champion out there right now:

It is not only our patriotic duty to provide this care, it is our moral duty at the most fundamental level. When our troops return from battle, we should welcome them with the promise of opportunity, not the threat of poverty.

Read the whole text of Obama's speech here:

http://obama.senate.gov/speech/050328-obama_remarks_to_the_american_legion_legislative_rally/

And, if you have any doubt that he is serious, just google Barack Obama and veteran's benefits.

16. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

Funny...an enlisted military man who tolerates no criticism of dear leader. A republican to boot.

Let me guess...you're in the Republican Guard?

17. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Another gem from that speech:

It's time to reassess our priorities. A budget is more than just a series of numbers on a page; it is an embodiment of our values. The President never hesitates to praise the service of our veterans and acknowledge the debt we owe them for their service, and I commend him for that. Now I hope he will renew his commitment by increasing funding for the VA, and ensure that our veterans receive more than just words of praise, but also the health care and benefits they?ve earned.

George Washington once said: "the willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional to how they perceive veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by our nation."

Washington understood then what every veteran here knows now ? that when we make the decision to send our troops to war, we also make the decision to care for them, to speak for them, and to think of them ? always ? when they come. Thank you and God Bless you.

18. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    You've claimed to be in the military and said you're going back to Iraq soon.

Out of curiosity, what is your rank, what branch are you in, what is your job and where are you currently stationed?

The reason I ask is that I can't begin to comprehend how anyone who is about to be sent back to a war isn't concerned about what sort of care he can expect to receive in the event that he is wounded.

19. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You slobber some of the stupidest things I've ever seen anyone lay claim to publicly, in any forum, but this...this actually could be the beginning of some introspection by you. Explore this question. Meditate on it.

20. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    If you want to know that information I'll PM it to you

21. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

How is that job search going Mel ?

Any leads yet ?

We still on for August ? The 17th was it not ?

22. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Feel free to do so.

23. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You know you have it down on your calendar; it's what stupid, self-hating people focus on. Instead of the truth of veteran's benefits, for example.

EDIT: I hold down gigs on two continents, share life with a Homecoming Queen who is smarter than me (excepting that Orioles fan thing), raise two kids, pursue a doctorate and write books on the side, george. If you haven't noticed, what you think, do or say is only relevant to me and mine to the extent I perceive that you might reflect an opinon out there other than your own. Then, usually, before I can step in and violate such thinking, someone else has discredited you and all you stand for, most of the time in a way much funnier than I could. So most of the time I sit back, and watch it unfold. The utter discrediting of you, KKK, McCracken...it's just fodder for the next book (ask Huss). So thanks, george. Thanks for, with every post, adding to the context that informs the next thing that puts money in the bank account.

And keep it up. Please.

24. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    This thread has nothing to do with veterans benefits, or caring for them, and everything to do with attacking a President the thread starter doesn't like

25. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    PM inbound