Wanna Buy a Soccer Club?

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by FC Tallavana, May 10, 2007.

1. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well as was just suggested on the California Victory boards, that club may soon be available to buy as it appears that Deportivo Alaves has no interest in continuing to run that club.

2. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we might have almost $500, Victory might be a ways a way.

3. hklusa

hklusa New Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Bethlehem, PA
    I just came acrss this thread yesterday. It just so happens that I am working on a similar plan here in the Lehigh Valley area of Eastern PA. You can see all of what is our modest plan at:

http://www.oldsoccerguys.com/stoners.htm

I beleive the NPSL is a great plan, at least for starters, as it is reasonable in cost and offers a regional league with a national champion.

To look at potential players, go to the front page at www.ironlakessportsclub.com

Let me know what you think, good or ill...

Thanks...

4. hklusa

hklusa New Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Bethlehem, PA
    just read my message... pardon the spelling...

5. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude,

did you guys name the team after someone in particular?

;)

Great stuff by the way, very cool.

6. hklusa

hklusa New Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Bethlehem, PA
    Thanks for the kind words. Good question, but no, it was originally supposed to be called the Keystones (PA is The Keystone State), but there was a team in some team tennis league called the Keystones and, as such, they couldn't use it. I'm sure that, given the era, more than one player may have lived up to it...

It did raise an eyebrow, even then...

7. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could have said you named it after Frankie Hejduk (joke implied, nothing serious- no need to threaten a lawsuit)

;)

==
    Back in New Orleans we had a guy Stoner Tadlock... we started off calling him "Dooood", but that soon became "Santa" as he was giving presents to the other team.

8. hklusa

hklusa New Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Bethlehem, PA
    To be fair, it COULD HAVE been named after any number of players who were in the side. Many of the folks who wore the ALPO (we were the first team in the USA to carry an ad on our jersey) are pretty high up in the game. Most of them didn't touch a thing, but...

Here's a short history of the original Stoners, in context with local soccer lore: http://www.ironlakessportsclub.com/LV Soccer History.htm

9. jiggerjake

jiggerjake New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    hklusa i love the site and everything you guys are doing, you should start an official team thread in the USL forums, queen city fc did that even though they are in the npsl aswell (as mentioned on your site)

10. hklusa

hklusa New Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Bethlehem, PA
    jiggerjake - Thanks so much for the kind words. We're a bit away from that now. First, we'll want to secure our franchise, sort out a stadium, sign a few players and pull in a sponsor or two. There's not much to write about, untill then. Afterwards, I hope to have something of real substance.

As to what the blurbs contain, please note that nothing we are doing is original; we're not that smart. I'm just taking advantage of two things at this point: I am old and I played in the old days (Met Oval when it was dirt, Randall's Island when it existed for soccer, youth soccer before all the crap, Penn State when Walter Bahr was King and in the ASL with the old Stoners) and I have paid attention to soccer as a player, coach, parent and fan.

11. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like the guys at MyFootballClub have got enough people interested. They've had over 53,000 requests. If they collect the $70 from each member they're going to have close to $4 million to buy a team with. Not a bad chunk of change.

12. walkingcity

walkingcity Member

May 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i am apart of the member group, things are moving along quite well

13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have they collected the money yet?

14. Koby7STAR

Koby7STAR Member

Feb 16, 2007
    England
    Does anyone know if you can still register with this club thing,

15. wrekinrak25

wrekinrak25 Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    you can still register with myfootballclub.co.uk for 35 quid

16. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I wonder how many of the 50,000+ registered will actually pay up.

17. Koby7STAR

Koby7STAR Member

Feb 16, 2007
    England
    they should do it were you have to pay the £35 straight away, otherwise this can be an issue where only a few actually pay!!!!!!!

18. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Even if some of the original registrants don't pay up, I think they will still get to at least 50,000 paid members with new people signing up -- may take several months though to reach that number.

19. CosmosKramer

CosmosKramer Member

Sep 24, 2000
    Yokohama
    Club:
    Yokohama F Marinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tried to pay a few days ago, but, apparently at this time they cannot accept international payments. Hope they get that straightened out soon.

20. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny I managed to get my payment in just fine. And I'm definitely not in the UK. Unless California quietly left the US and no one told me.

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did the same thing to me this weekend. I haven't tried since then though.

22. hklusa

hklusa New Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Bethlehem, PA
    You guys may find this interesting:

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/08/08/get_your_hands_off_my_football.html

The first few lines are below. I think someone echoed this sentiment earlier. Perhaps there is a reason that clubs are run (though not always for the best) by professional management.

It would be great to let fans in on ownership, but to allow player and tactical selection may be a bit much.

It's a great idea in theory, but the concept does have the inherent liability of letting fans make managment decisions. Heck, SPORTS WRITERS don't usually know that much about the sports they cover!

Green Bay Packers run a great format, but it's based on local ownership that virtually guarantees home attendance and a steady fund raising opportunity for the club: http://www.newrules.org/resources/rootroots.html

Here's how the Packers' thing works: http://ask.yahoo.com/20041214.html

23. DetroitTFC

DetroitTFC BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 14, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a paid member. I know I am probably helping some dude in the UK buy his vacation home but if this does result in getting a Championship team, it'll be worth it for the amusement.

24. jiggerjake

jiggerjake New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    by championship do you mean league 2 ?

25. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Do any of you who have joined the myfootballclub scheme also support another club with any intensity? Do any of you belong to a Supporters Trust already or own shares in a club?

I would be concerned about buying into a club I despise!