Wan Negotiation At A Time - The Aaron Wan-Bissaka Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Holy__Joe, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wan-Bissaka is taking the challenge of playing for United head on.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...ant-pushed-reach-potential-manchester-united/

Liked what we saw from him in the Perth game. Nice to finally have a proper defensive RB after such a long time. The offensive side of his game clearly needs work but hopefully that is something he can improve upon, with time and work. Hopefully playing in a new and different setup than what he was used to at Palace, will help also.

2. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    AWB vs Leeds:

3. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    His tackling range is freakish.

4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His numbers speak for themselves:
    100% duels won
    100% aerial duels won
    73% pass accuracy
    4 interceptions
    2 key passes
    1 assist
    He already looks sharp, albeit against weak oppo, but it's just nice to have ourselves a proper RB. It's actually been way too long with Rafael being the last legit one we had (Valencia had his moments, but he was no real FB, like AY).
    He just looks the part: strong, athletic. I had my reservations about him but I'm happy he appears well on his way in proving me wrong. Just looking for him to improve the offensive side of his game and I'll bet he can, with United playing in a different setup than Palace.
    Love the fact that he cut his vacation short to join the team on tour from the start: that's dedication right there. Plus his nickname 'the Spider' is very cool as well: I'm a fan already.

5. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    ELITE. Defensively elite. And his attacking has been pretty good.

Has anyone ever been so specifically good at slide tackles? It's like he's from a 90's football arcade game where the star player has one specific superpower.

6. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I can see why hes called spider.

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Hopefully we are going to see very less of Young this season ..

9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wan-Bissaka will steady United's defense just as much as Maguire.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/graham...e-just-as-much-as-harry-maguire/#3de990fd2c17

Hats off again to Ole or whoever at the club decided on him. Another one I was unsure about (mainly because I had seen so little of him in action) but so far, he's proved nothing than another top signing defensively.
    Very happy he's ours: young, athletic, strong and just loves to defend. Confident that with time, his offensive game will improve. Especially since he's expected to do more than he ever did at Palace under Hodgson.
    Sidenote, at this moment, you merge his defensive abilities with what Alexander-Arnold brings offensively and you're looking at the perfect FB IMO. That's how good both players are, especially on one end of the pitch for now.

SyedZada repped this.
  10. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    For now (this season) if he can sort out back 4 with maguire Lindelof and Shaw this would be something we can build on for next season and beyond. He is fast and can dribble a bit so he can improve offensively but he will need time.

11. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Anonymous_United repped this.
  12. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Great start, RB sorted out for me.

13. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I remember evra first game with us. Nice that Obi Wan is off to a great start.

14. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Evra and Vidic were written off after debut by press.

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's a great comment about his love and commitment for defending and tackling, in particular. Really like that.

16. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    [emoji57]

17. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Dont think comparison is valid here, Maldini is one of the iconic benchmark player but curious to know at what point (age) of his career he quoted those words. AWB is just 21 yr old kid playing in physical-demanding league and his understanding of game will definitely evolve and maybe at this point of his career he attributes physicality aspect of game more than reading but that doesnt mean he is awful at reading play or totally discaring it altogether... Its a vague comparison for me.

jnielsen repped this.
  18. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Maldini and Xabi were both talking about players who slide as compensation for poor positional awareness. Maldini in particular was playing in an era of conventional wingers, fullbacks who stayed back, the hugely favourable offside rule, and teams that often only had a few comfortable passers.

AWB doesn't just slide tackle players, he sets them up to be tackled. He isolates them from their teammates, on their weaker foot, and dupes them into taking him on out wide. By the time he slides in, he's usually already completed three or four defensive actions.

Last PL season he attempted 129 tackles, made no last man tackles, and conceded 1 penalty. This season he's attempted 15 tackles and conceded 1 foul.

19. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Excellent analysis.

There are tackles you want to see and tackles you don’t want to see. The Chosen Wan understands the difference. He’s been brilliant for us so far.

One aspect if his game is like to see him develop is his crossing. He can beat defenders on the dribble but his final ball could improve.

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wan-Bissaka earns his first senior England call up:
    Goalkeepers: Tom Heaton, Jordan Pickford, Nick Pope

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Ben Chilwell, Joe Gomez, Michael Keane, Harry Maguire, Tyrone Mings, Danny Rose, Kieran Trippier, Aaron Wan-Bissaka

Midfielders: Ross Barkley, Jordan Henderson, James Maddison, Mason Mount, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Declan Rice, Harry Winks

Forwards: Harry Kane, Jesse Lingard, Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho, Raheem Sterling, Callum Wilson

jnielsen repped this.
  21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2020-3-8_16-39-41.png
    Not the first time he's owned Sterling either (or other top class forwards). If he can continue improving the offensive side of his game, he really could be spoken as one of the best RBs in the game. He's that good defensively.

23. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  24. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That pic is creepy.

25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That would explain the recent progress in the offensive part of his game.

johno repped this.