WAMU Radio "The BUSINESS OF MLS"

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by NicktheGreek, Aug 25, 2004.

1. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I heard a snippet on WAMU (88.5 FM) this AM that at 1 PM Friday they will broadcast a segment dealing with the business of MLS. I was half comatose, so I didn't catch all the details but it seems to be worth a listen. One topic I do remember is why Latin fans feel that MLS takes them for granted.

2. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I for one would love to hear what kind of bunk these so called "latino fans" have to say. DC United gets major coverage in the latino press, has their own tv show, promotes hispanic heritage night, puts on youth clinics, makes their players available to the fans. Bottom line, it's about winning and losing. The hardcore RDA will NEVER come back. It's a done deal. Having Q2 and Martins down all year hasn't helped, but this team gets their stuff together and fans will come back. Not just latino fans, but soccer fans.

3. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caught Bill Redlin giving a plug to Friday's Metro Connection at 1:00. He mentioned MLS/United marketing, "why United officials look at a half-empty stadium and call it a sellout," and why some Latino fans feel that United is snubbing them (paraphrase). I'll be tuning in--WAMU usually does a pretty good job covering Community issues fairly, and I'm sure that they're trying to drum up listeners out of their general audience with some thought-provoking teasers.

I should have been listening better, but I am working.

Kind of.

4. EyesOnBall

EyesOnBall Member

Jun 14, 2004
    How many 'hardcore RDA' fans are there? Not every Latino knows who RDA is/was or cares. Maybe some "Salvadorean" fans care and/or remember him but as far as all/most Latinos he was just another good player that left. DCU has done plenty for the Latino community and many of us support DCU because it is our hometown team. Having Latinos on the team is a plus but not a necessity. Good Soccer is a necessity.

5. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    More than you think. That part of the salvadoran fan base was turned off by RDA's alleged mistreatment and isn't coming back. I'd dare to say a majority became Galaxy fans by default. My point is that they're not coming back and DCU has already done an admirable job catering to latino fans. Outside of giving us free tickets, I don't know what other latino fans have to bitch about.

6. jkritchey

jkritchey New Member

Jul 1, 2003
    NoVa
    This snippet from WAMU Web Site:

"This Week on Metro Connection

Optimists may look at a half-empty stadium and say it's half-full. Pessimists might say it's half-empty. Officials with DC United look at that stadium and say "it's SOLD-OUT!" We explore the economics of Major League Soccer. We'll also find out why some of DC United's Latino fans think the team takes them for granted."

http://www.wamu.org/mc/

Sounds a bit negative to me. Maybe I'm paranoid....

7. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Y'all beat me to it. Sounds like necessary stories that Tom Not, Ken Wrong, and Kornholio wouldn't touch with a 10-millimeter pole.

8. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those that are metrically challenged, that's about the half the length of a cigarette butt...

But I agree with the sentiment: this is a community radio station covering a sports team in the community. Our community. It's not "The Computer Guys," but I'll be tuning in. I only wish "The Soccer Show" was on such a strong - FM - signal.

9. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    suggest we use this thread to formulate response messages -- the "must get aired" points. Then we can light up the phone lines and deliver the points.

To get started:

Selling 20,000 tickets to a United game puts per-game attendance higher than the Capitols or the Wizards. In fact after the Redskins, United has the best per game average attendance in the city. {at least this was a true statement a few years back, should get that confirmed}

Some in the Latino community are still upset over the way that RDA was traded several years ago. Since then the club has gone out of its way to sign others from ES, including Q2 and Cerritos. Additionally, the club went on a fundraising tour of ES and played matches in ES donating the revenue after the Earthquake in 2002 {confirm?}. So to those fans I think it's fair to say get over it.

10. DCM

DCM New Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Takoma Park, MD
    Fair enough, and all due respect to John and Chris and the guys at the Soccer Show, but their show is still quite a ways from WAMU-quality as far as overall presentation goes. And don't get me wrong, I don't think they have any illusions that what they're doing is on that level---and I still listen to the show just about every week and appreciate their work very much. If you're listening, thanks, guys. :D

11. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Not to mention now annual "friendlies" against Latin opponents:

Boca Jrs.
    CD Aguila
    El Salvadoran National Team

Etc.

Sachin

12. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Yep.

13. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except the Skins don't play in the city anymore so we're number 1 on a technicality! :D

14. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, the 1:00 Friday Metro Connections segment isn't a call-in show. They do read letters about segments aired the previous week, but the Friday show is "in the can" by now.

But listen and then write in to tell them they did well or that they missed something.
    :) I'm just looking for a signal I can pick up waay out here in Gaithersburg that has my beloved United as the sole topic, even if it does sound like a couple of guys in a VW microbus with the windows rolled up.

I became a WAMU supporter the same year I got season tickets to Team America. :eek:

We are agreed, sir!

15. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Member+

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Hey it could be worse, we could be waay out there in Germantown :)

16. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    shudder

17. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    Dadman says: "Unfortunately, the 1:00 Friday Metro Connections segment isn't a call-in show. They do read letters about segments aired the previous week, but the Friday show is "in the can" by now.

But listen and then write in to tell them they did well or that they missed something."

Good point. I hope Doug Hicks and Co. got DCU management interviewed - I'm sure it would have been offered up. We'll just have to listen!

18. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure that Kevin Payne was interviewed. In fact, last Friday I heard a thing on PRI's Marketplace (aired on WAMU in the a.m.) that dealt with exactly the same subject - the business of DCU & MLS. Part of that segment included interviews with Kevin Payne and quotes by the Gal's GM.

I'd be really surprised if that wasn't a truncated version of the upcoming Metro Connection segment.

19. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So that's actually twice in less than a week that I was awakened by DC United things on WAMU. This morning I was seriously shocked and yelled at the radio because I didn't believe I was hearing right.

My poor neighbors.

20. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I was interviewed for this piece during the Rapids game and the reporter was really kind and professional She has since emailed me to tell me that some of my comments will be used in the piece.... :eek:

Despite my drunken monlogue commenting on the lack of Latino representation at our games, she has assured me that the piece is generally POSITIVE and about "the cheers and the love of
    the game" at RFK. She thought it was a "happy piece."

Now... If I can only remember what it was that I said. :D

21. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC

As much as I love you Chico and see you as my brother, I DO have to wonder if things ARE right regarding MLS and the Latino fan base. I agree with you for the most part in what you say. but the league has to do something more and do it better.

Of course Chico you will know these issues better then me, but I do have to wonder about the marketing of this league where the crowds are increasingly less diverse (see soccer mom Adu effect) while the US population is increasingly just the opposite.

To make a point... I have lived in Stafford Va for nearly 20 years. In that time I have seen a complete redneck town evolve from the "Dukes of Stafford" to a thriving multiethnic community. The 7-11's in Stafford are BILINGUAL, we have several truly Hispanic owned and operated restaurants, we also have a couple Latino markets, yet at the same time I have seen the level of Hispanic fans drop to all time lows for DC United.

Now I know Latinos deserve as much or more the blame as DC United for not being here, but as I mentioned in the piece to the reporter you do have to wonder if the league is making a huge mistake trying to make soccer fans out of soccer moms (via Adu) instead of trying harder to convert passionate KNOWLEDGEABLE Hispanic soccer fans to being DC UNITED fans...

To me the Barra Brava is the barometer of the DC soccer eco system. If we are the LATINO supporters club, where the hell did all the Latinos go? The absence of a more diverse club has to be far more complicated then simply not winning.

22. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I've been an SE member since forever and this year I've been seriously considering joining BB (just to be supportive) but I guess because I'm not a latina I shouldn't bother.

Wouldn't want to dilute your culture or anything.

23. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Youre missing the point entirely. That isnt fair nor what I mean to imply. I am simply saying that a group that WAS 90% Spanish speaking has dwindled to less then 10% so... Its not a good sign of how DC United is being viewed by Hispanic fans. I am not sure why this is, but I have to think we can do better.

For the record youre more then welcome to join the Barra any time if you ever really cared to do so. They are easily the most diverse and friendly of all the supporters groups.

24. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, sorry. I'm just cranky tonight.

I can't help you with the hispanic community but I have noticed that most (all) of the people I see wearing DC United gear in the wild (ie, not at RFK) are of non-hispanic heritages. Which sucks.

25. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Uh......Nice Tits?