Wambach Injury More Serious than USA letting on?

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by jd6885, Sep 10, 2007.

1. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the American coverage of women's world cup, Tony Diccico, the '99 USA head coach speculated that the toe injury to Abby Wambach is more serious than the USA staff is letting on. I thought this was very interesting, as he was a USA head coach, for him to say that might give the rumor more credance.

Any speculations on how the USA would do without the physicality of Wambach? Her height and willingness to fight for the ball would be surely missed in my opinion.

Who would fill in for her...if indeed a player of her caliber could ever be replaced?

I'm thinking the formation would have to be totally revamped. We could see this tomorrow:

----------Orielly----------
    ---Lilly--------------Tarpley--
    -----------Boxx------------
    -------Jobson-Chalupny----
    ----------Osborne--------
    --whitehill--Markgraf--Rampone

Push Boxx up because the US will be lacking in height and muscle up top, and adding two DMids in jobson and Osborne to press for the ball. I think in a game like this, it is important to dominate the midfield. Stifle N. Korea's passing game, and shut down all passing avenues in the midfield. The back three should be totally solid.

2. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    i think abby starts, but we could well see something like that later in the game.

3. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just worried because when John obrien of the men's team had a toe problem, he was out for a month or two, and couldn't pass the ball without being in a lot of pain.

4. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    one word: cortizone

5. Bookthekeeper

Bookthekeeper Member

Jul 15, 2007
    DFW
    Im guessing if John Terry can play with a broken toe, Abby can play with just a hurt one