Wambach called up

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by timed_out, Oct 31, 2002.

1. timed_out

timed_out New Member

Mar 24, 2001
    'Abby Wambach, who was not the the original 18 player roster, was called up to play the third game of the Women's Gold Cup. She is replacing an undisclosed injured player.'
    My guess is that that would be Mia, no?
    Anyone else hear anything about this?

2. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    Wagner is leaving the US team to play the SCU-Portland game. Could that be the reason?? (i dont know the dates shes leaving)

3. g4m

g4m New Member

Oct 28, 2000
    New Jersey
    shouldnt be replacing anyone :mad: if she wasnt mia's teammate (assuming it was mia) i would turn down the callup...it is an insult to be left off the roster for a HIGH SCHOOL player!

4. soccermonkey19

soccermonkey19 New Member

Nov 17, 2000
    Mississippi
    Undisclosed? That's kind of weird...

5. thegoofy1

thegoofy1 New Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Based on what the article says, I would think, no. If it was Aly that was injured, I doubt she'd be playing in that game either.

6. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Why can't Wagner just drive down or fly down from Portland Saturday night? It's doable.

7. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Mia is a drawing power.....

BTW...any promo in Seattle lately for this tourney?

And no way in hell I would turn down a chance to play for the USWNT. If they were to call me I would definately pack my bags and go. This ain't the time for "pride" to get in the way of things....

8. g4m

g4m New Member

Oct 28, 2000
    New Jersey
    i guess your right...but my own take is that the US would have had a major time beating canada without wambach...and well what im trying to get at is if crap like this went more public...fewer ape days for us to worry about...and besides im male...i couldnt play for the USWNT even if i had the skills ;)

9. outsidehitter

outsidehitter New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    I'm happy for Abby but CRAP!!! Just when she gets back to the top of her game.

10. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Of course it's Mia - You think CONCACAF and USSF want the Seattle and LA public to know she's out of the tournament before being duped into buying tickets? They're as disgraceful as WUSA/Freedom dragging out Hamm's "imminent return" for two months before she finally played.

On another note - can you actually call a player up DURING the Gold Cup to replace an injured player? I thought the rosters were frozen once the tournament started. If Panama files a protest, I guess we'll know.

11. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yup that is what i was thinking.

12. twell_girl

twell_girl New Member

Jul 28, 2002
    cali
    i wouldn't turn it down for anything either...on another note, i still wonder why wambach didn't make the orig roster. i've seen her play and i thought she's the future.

13. Hamm-star

Hamm-star New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    Roster changes

If a player is injured and can not continue, a team has the ok to replace that player. it is as far as I know the only exception that can be made.

14. thegoofy1

thegoofy1 New Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Wambach is in due to O'Reilly doing something to her hip flexor:
    11/1 from seattle post intelligencer:

All drive, no cruise, for US Soccer Team

15. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    NO, Wagner is midfielder and Wambach is forward, it could be Mia Hamm, the only player who was injured.

16. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    the reason she was left off the team in the begining is because April just couldn't take her over Millbret, Mia, Parlow which i think Mambach herself understand the situation and had no problem w/ it only you guys the one who feel miserable.

17. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Mahalo goofy1!

Well....there is egg in my face for saying it was Mia she replaced and that the USSF was trying to conceal this from everyone cuz they thought it would harm ticket sales..........

:rolleyes:

18. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    Damnit!! Now if shes better by 11/10, I'll have to face her in the County Finals! :(

19. kra2800

kra2800 New Member

Nov 1, 2002

20. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Thats a bit much don't you think. Sure the past few matches have been close but I don't think we'll have too much trouble getting pased them. Assuming they can beat Mexico. ;)

21. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    from santaclarabroncos.com

22. theotherside

theotherside New Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Wambach is the first young player to generate this much enthusiasm in a while. And if she happens to read these boards (which I doubt she does), she'd have to give a big smile for the warm (deserved) fan support.

23. SunnyJah

SunnyJah New Member

Oct 29, 2001
    depends on the season
    I think the thing is with Abby is that she is really quite human. She has good days and bad days but takes them all as lessons. She talks so much about how she's still learning, and loving to learn from Mia with the Freedom. I remember after the WUSA all-star game when she won the MVP she said something totally endearing like "I've found a home here with the Freedom. Thanks for letting me be a part of it" She works hards and puts a lot of pressure on herself to improve her game. She's a great player who seems down-to-earth and at the same time like a little kid in a candy shop who can't believe her good fourtune. Abby deserves to be on the NT and I believe that she will be for a long time coming.

24. outsidehitter

outsidehitter New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    I agree about Abby. When I first saw her play I wasn't expecting to like her because I tend to like the little dribbling forwards better, but she has really grown on me. She just seems like a nice person.