Walthamstow Avenue

Discussion in 'Other Divisions' started by E17Avenue, Nov 27, 2006.

1. E17Avenue

E17Avenue Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Looking for some memories of this club, perhaps some input from any programmes, photos, newspaper clippings you have in your scrapbooks or attics.

I grew up with them, they broke my heart the first season I watched them when they had a Fever Pitch style finish but blew their championship winning 3-1 lead to draw 3-3 and hand the title to their opponents Enfield. That was 1979/80. I watched them every year until their merger with Leytonstone/Ilford which through another merger became Dagenham & Redbridge.

Anyone remember the A's?

2. OrientFan

OrientFan Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Orlando/London
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    nope cant say I do and I lived in E10 (always went to the Orient)
    started going around 1964

3. E17Avenue

E17Avenue Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You probably haven't heard of Leyton(-Wingate) FC either...

4. Dune

Dune Member

Feb 10, 1999
  5. E17Avenue

E17Avenue Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah I know they re-formed. Was looking for people who knew the old team or had any memorabilia from their former life.

6. Rhodes

Rhodes New Member

Dec 4, 2006
    I used to frequent matches at Green Pond Road and have a number of their old programmes in my collection, this link may interest you if you haven't already seen it:

http://www.communigate.co.uk/london/wa2000fc/

7. michael21

michael21 New Member

Jan 13, 2008
    I have an old programme which I`m shortly going to put on ebay, Manchester United v Walthamstow Avenue, FA Cup 4th Round, 31st January 1953.

8. E17Avenue

E17Avenue Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I would certainly be interested but I am not sure I could pay what that particular programme could fetch! Send me the URL when you have it on eBay.

9. Ash II

Ash II New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    In a madhouse
    I lived in E17 before.

10. Avenuite

Avenuite New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re- Calling any former Avenuites – from a current Avenuite :)

As a non league football supporter of some 40 years (Bradford Park Avenue,) I’ve recently been scouring the net for information, memorabilia and photos of certain non league clubs and their former grounds.

Having paid particular attention to Walthamstow Avenue, I have been unable to find many photos, save for a couple of team pics on Ebay and a great photo on the AP site.

Should former players/officials/supporters know of any interesting links or information, I would be very pleased to hear from you. Other club photos I’m searching include North Shields, South Shields, New Brighton and Enfield. My e mail addy is inamorato500@yahoo.co.uk

Graeme; :)

11. RedWeb

RedWeb New Member

May 17, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    A video was produced of one of the last games ever played at Green Pond Road. It was a game between Leytonstone/Ilford and Farnborough. The home side won 5-3 and received the League Trophy after the game. I have a copy and it's a nostalgic watch. Among those in action for Leytonstone/Ilford were future Wimbledon and Newcastle star Warren Barton.

PaulC - RedWeb
    http://www.buystirlingalbion.org.uk
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=198214620098

12. Avenuite

Avenuite New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Paul, any idea's how i can obtain a copy?
    Graham;

13. RedWeb

RedWeb New Member

May 17, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Graham,

The video was produced in 1989 and I doubt there will be any copies left anywhere.

If you're keen I could send you mine as I rarely watch it any more. However, there is a price !! You would need to generate some interest in my campaign to save Stirling Albion ie join yourself or get people to join or at least look at our site. Not much to ask for a classic video !!

Cheers,

PaulC - RedWeb

14. Avenuite

Avenuite New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England

ooohh cheeky monkey:) ok, i'll read up and let you know. In the meantime, can you tell me if this is a videotape;of what duration, and is it fairly good quality. Thanks;

15. RedWeb

RedWeb New Member

May 17, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Cheers !!

It's a VHS video which was professionally made for selling. The video includes a tour of the boardroom plus of course the game and trophy presentations. Haven't watched it for a few years but I'll take a look when I get a moment to double check it's as good as ever. If you're a fan of the Avenue and their famous old ground it's a must own I would say.

PaulC - RedWeb

16. Avenuite

Avenuite New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ok, get back to me when you have looked at it. I guess i'd need to copy it to disc, as i don't own a tape player anymore. I will read the SA stuff later today.

17. Avenuite

Avenuite New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Paul, I have had a read and will be happy to buy a membership of Stirling Albion, further to receiving your response to my recent questions - i.e. length and quality of the tape. Hope to hear from you soon.

Graham;

18. RedWeb

RedWeb New Member

May 17, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    I will watch a bit of the video later today to check it is still in one piece. The length is 90 minutes of play + another 20 or so before and after the game.

19. Avenuite

Avenuite New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm still waiting.

20. RedWeb

RedWeb New Member

May 17, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Sorry...been busy. Will have it checked by the weekend. If it's ok it will be in the post to you early next week. You will need to give me your address details. Email them to me at paulmclem@gmail.com

PaulC.

21. theavenue

theavenue New Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hi Guys,

I've recently started a new project documenting the history of the Avenue.

See http://walthamstowavenue.wordpress.com

I'd love to get hold of a copy of this video to feature on the site if possible? Happy to pay any costs and give full credit.

Let me know if you can help.

Thanks,

Walt Hamstow-Avenue.

22. RedWeb

RedWeb New Member

May 17, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    If you mean the video of the game between Leytonstone/Ilford and Farnborough from Green Pond Road then I sold my copy to Graham (Avenuite). I think he was talking about copying it on to DVD so he may be your best bet. Last I spoke to him he was abroad and wouldn't return until 23/6. Wait till then and post again.

PaulC.

23. lorry

lorry New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Hi

Yes do remember those cold winter nights in the stands with a hot cup of bovril. I too started watching the avenue with my farther from the late 70's to the mid 80's. I was ony 13 and was lucky enought to train with the first team, with the goal keeper coach and Keepers. I do rememberthe coloured keeper, think it was Ray Jarman. Those were brill days for me, as me and my farther followed the avenue on most home and away matches. I too are looking for memrobilia so if you find any please let me know.

Laurie

24. lorry

lorry New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Hi

I am very interested in your video of the avenue, my farther used to watch the avenue when he was in his 20's, and i too joined him back in the late 70's at the age of 12. My farther would love to see the video and would be a great 80th bday prezzie for him this year. could you please tell me what you are asking for a copy.

Many many thanks
    Laurie