Walker Given to Columbus for ????

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Metrosuccess, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reports say Columbus gave us a 4th round pick in Supplemental 2006 draft for Walker. Pitiful that this is all we get. I would have rather just played the guy and sat Wells than give him away. Yeah, we held them up for their Szetella shananigans of last year. Nice move alexi.

Why is it we never get anything back for useful players????

2. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure we should blame Columbus for the Szetela shenanigans. Bradley probably didn't want Szetela anyway because he would be competing with junior for the same position. He may have made it look like it was Columbus' fault.

3. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good point as I forgot about Junior slot. Makes sense. Anyone that competes with Junior ie, Ricardo, Gilberto is usually gonnzo.

4. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You also got another 8th round pick for Gilberto Flores :rolleyes:

It must be that teams know that you need to unload some players and Cap and are low-balling. It's hard to believe two players with their credentials where given away for such a low price.

5. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is just ridiculous..... heck, i could sell my own poor soccer skills for more than that..... and paid less for injured Fat Tony.....

6. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    Its a joke that a suppossed professional organization allows this. It reminds me of tryouts for a 5th grade traveling team.

7. Ray Luca

Ray Luca BigSoccer Yellow Card

Feb 2, 2005
    They are going to pick up his salery what more do you want?

Actually you have a point Crews not playing Szetella, and he wants to play here and I like him. I guess Coach Bradley is thinking of his son, and that is why he is not getting him. I would gobble him up you can find other places for him to play on the field like a wing back, and he would be a good back up for the coaches son.

We could have probably got him as a thrown in for Walker.

8. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    To summarize:
    Woly + Walker + 100k Allocation to Crew FOR Razov + 4th Rd Supplemental Pick.

Nicely done MFO.

9. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got to admit i am pretty disappointed in our return on Walker.

Picking up Meola was a waiver wire job and independant of this deal. Walker was being moved to make room for Meola. We should have either gotten something better (CBus was in dire need of a good keeper) than a token dfart pick that won't result in anything tangible for our club's reserve team. A superdraft pick or perhaps that 100K allocation back would have been ideal.

10. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could not possibly agree more.

11. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasting a draft pick on Kenny, and keeping him ugh, was another 5th grade traveling team move. Somebody at AEG should tell Bob to think of Metros first, and only Metros.

12. CrewVillain

CrewVillain Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Actually, he's played seven games six of which he started for a grand total of 524 min. He would have played more but U20 call-ups and all that.

Plus, he likes the Midwest - go figure?

13. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    As a Crew fan, I'm satisfied since we only paid a pittance and Walker should be better than Gaudette.

My guess is that Bradley's thinking was that the Crew aren't very threatening this year, Walker's contract expires anyway, and he prefers Meola. I'm guessing the Flores trade was to add cap space for Fat Tony. Metros didn't have to give up anything but Flores, and upgraded (in Bob's mind at least) at keeper and added a couple draft picks. He has done well with younger players so he might find someone useful in the draft.

14. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    There are draft picks, and there are draft picks. 2 8th rounders?

15. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On top of everything else i hear meola is walking with a limp, can not run as is at least 2 to 3 months from being able to play in a game. Anybody see him walk recently??

16. Jman81

Jman81 New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Jersey City, NJ

17. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    In the star ledger today Meola said he is 85% right now and will be 100% in a month.

18. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And when will they make the announcemnt about our stadium?? How many days?

19. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So u get BIG T to sit on ur bench?? Thats a really good trade. He would be more useful to Columbus.

20. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    (oops, I screwed up. I thought I was quoting Jacen's post and ended up totally mutilating it by hitting the wrong button. I'm sorry Jacen. This is why I don't "mod" very often. MK)

21. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    Thank you Jacen. I did not feel like fighting that fight again. I am waiting for the thread blaming world hunger on Lil Brad.

22. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    Jacen also thinks the level of play isnt an issue either. ?

23. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
  24. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'd like you to describe exactly what the "level of play" issue is. Quantify it. Enlighten us. Give us something to work with.

25. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    But please do so in a different thread.